Thursday, January 25, 2018

Spare time


This has been a week of excessive spare time. There was little to do on Tuesday, nothing to do Wednesday, and breakfast with Lynn this morning. I have eight books in the house and have finished all but Hillary. Today I ordered a six shelf book case.  I also recorded recurring financial transactions today, and paid the Visa bill. And spent way over an hour with Lynn at breakfast.

Lynn has not been well. Her new kittens have not been well. They were neutered, and apparently didn’t take it well, though they spent so many days retching she thinks they contracted the “lurgy” at the vets. We spent ninety minutes discussing Molly and Toby, the new British shorthairs, and Laura. We certainly glossed over the world, just catching up. Life taken lightly when you have nothing to do, as neither of us does.

We did exchange cleaning tips before we left, in order for her to clean the bathrooms before the cleaning ladies came. I said the damn ring around the sink drain, and probably the tub drain, except I don’t wear gasses in the tub, irritates the snot out of me. I keep an old toothbrush in the toothbrush holder, just to scrub the grey from under the edges from time to time. “No, no, you need a toothpick for that,” Lynn said, on the way out.

In defense, I did spend an additional two hours today trying to stop a couple of recurring charges on the Visa statement, and then with Victor of a delightful accent, from Visa, filing a complaint to put a block on the charges. Time not wasted, as the sum of the charges is thirty five dollars.

Yesterday I had absolutely nothing to do. I decided to finish the last third of the last sleeve of the sweater I’ve been knitting for eighteen months. Not finishing a project is a chargeable offense, especially when I stumbled across the pattern for my fabulous short row yoke shaping sweater on the internet, also eighteen months ago, and have a bag of fabulous red wool to knit it, from Ruth, also for the last eighteen months.

About three o’clock yesterday I adjudicated I’d let another day go by. I did locate two socks with holes in the toes and darned the holes. They were different socks, one black, one blue (Dobby socks!), and I thought back to knitting them in 2003. The other exact pair have a total of three darns, one each to the toes and the bottom of one. I bravely started a new pair of socks last May or June. I take them to Laura’s dwindling therapy appointments, and am half through the heel of the first sock. It behooves me to repair the old.



Laura and I are talking vacation, and I need to text Caroline to see if she might want to go this summer. I can get them anywhere, some way, but cannot walk around, much. The two of them can get anywhere and back. I thought I’d suggest Finger Lakes and the lower tier to them (Watkins Glen, etal.

Then I thought of dangling Mt. Vernon, Monticello and Montpelier back out there. We did miss them last spring, and unlike the Jefferson Memorial and Starbucks, they couldn’t get there on their own, while they waited for Aunt Beth and Uncle Bill, aka Mom and Dad, to bail them from Washington DC.


27 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you can darn, I thought that was a dying skill. Anything with holes around here becomes a cleaning rag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be more fun planning a vacation than actually going. I would love to go back to Washington DC. There is so much to see there. I believe a person could go every year and find something new each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a lover of socks, but damned if I will darn them. It is good to think about and plan a vacation. It is a positive for a future. I sometimes think that the planning is the best part of a holiday away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can sew buttons on a shirt, but that's about it. I'm with Mac, most hole-y items around here become cleaning rags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We darn socks here too. The old ones fit like gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol on the 'other exact pair' - a long time ago (think 1950s) one of my uncles was a professional comedian. Without fail he would warm up his audience by raising his trouser legs and ask 'do you like my socks' an obvious mismatched pair ( beautifully knit by my granny in fair isle). 'I've another pair just like them at home'. Simple times brought a reaction of roars of laughter.
    It's not cold enough where I live for me to wear woollen socks - thank goodness :)
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. yep, no darning here. In fact, I don't own a sewing needle or thread! I totally rebelled against my mom's sewing skills (and yes, over the years, have regretted it a few times.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Freud once said "what do women want"? That's a good question particularly when I read it is necessary to clean the bathroom toilet before the cleaning lady comes....???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Mr. F never had the courtesy to ask. Think of the misunderstanding he could have avoided.

      Delete
  9. I have just accepted the fact that I am never going to finish the hat I have now attempted 3 times. My first hat and I just cannot get the hang of decreasing on the 4 little needles to close the top. Knitting is another thing I should probably be doing with a group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, a group will set you straight in a minute. Google Match Up and find a knitting group to go to.

      Delete
  10. The sweater pattern sounds intriguing, may we see a picture of the finished product? I've never knitted a sock in my life, but I've certainly darned a few. Your holiday plans sound nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do one better; scan the pattern and find a picture of the one I knit, years ago.

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed reading about your days of spare time. Makes me feel not so alone about mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hari OM
    I've darned things. Not lately. But I have darned.

    I've also planned; I loves me a plan! Research, plot, more research, plan filled. All you have to do with your planning this year is avoid tourist buses. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do a lot for someone who has nothing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it is probably atleast fifty yearssince I darned anything. When is used to do so I found it such a peaceful unhurried activity. The thing is I wear tights now so darning has died out in this household.
    And as for holidays - I have mobility problems and just can't decide what to do about one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like you need a new hobby. I don't knit, especially not socks which are readily available in retail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone gave me a pin that says "Yes, I know I can buy them at Walmart for fifty cents."

      Delete
  16. Can't darn....won't try.....I throw the holey sockes out and buy new ones. I know, shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can never have enough socks knitted by someone else or red sweaters.
    I'm old enough to have learnt to darn at school when I was six ... don't think they learn any more.

    ReplyDelete