Friday, February 9, 2024

Back at it

Well, a week of sulking and I'm back, mostly, to my self. A long week of paying little attention to the world and relishing my own misery. It has been interesting. Yesterday I took Rose to have her hair cut, at her old salon! She was so pleased, and it's a very nice haircut. 

At supper she reported it had caused quite a kerfuffle. "Damn!" I thought. Her daughter found out. After we had gone off to the local CVS for Covid and RSV vaccinations, her daughter was appalled at Rose's description of using a stool to get into my van. "Never again!" from her daughter.

While we were out this time, a friend of Rose stopped to visit. Rose didn't answer her door, so the friend returned to the desk and instituted a fairly full fledged search for Rose. Housekeeping and food service searched. Even the bookkeeper was involved. She looked under the bed. Rose's daughter was notified. 

Our return went unnoticed because some rude person parked in my assigned place. So, my car went to some other place in the lot. But at least, when Rose saw her daughter, she could report she can get into my car by herself, and stow and retrieve her walker. Lovely spring days produce wonders.


As for the ambitious warp on my loom, here it is now! I cut and taped the sections I'm not using. That apparent mess to the left is the section that did not work out mathematically. A couple of its threads are in the last warp on its right, and impeding forward motion. So I am chaining off the bout. The great plan is to be able to run it through my tension box in future and reuse it. That may be a hair brained scheme.

The edges of the flower pattern are a little ragged; I'll single crochet along just those edges when the scarf is off the loom. For the next scarf, I'll use a floating selvedge to eliminate the problem. Old tricks of the trade can take time to remember!

When the scarf is off the loom, I'll weigh it to see how much thread I used. Then I'll know how much to charge for it. The weft this time is much finer; 10/2 in the dialect. I think the scarf will be fairly airy and floaty. If not, I'll change the pick's.

So that's it for this week of weaving. Now I need to get back into blog reading. No more sulking. 


35 comments:

  1. I suppose the concern for your friend's absence should be considered a plus, but part of me wants to say "What a bunch of Nosy Parkers!". On the other hand, if her daughter was upset because her mother could not be found, that could be understandable. Is Rose inclined to wander off the premises and not find her way back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose isn't a candidate for Assisted Living any time soon.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that you were able to take Rose out for a haircut. And a big 'Boo!' to the person who thought to park in your space.
    Hugs from out west,
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    For why the sulk? Anyway, glad it's gone and you are back with us reporting on that which gives you purpose. That's a very pretty pattern... and I like that your taking Rose out caused a stir and that someone was paying attention! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanne, this is my first time here. (I saw Debby's concern for you on her blog and it got my curiosity going.) My gosh, you certainly are an interesting one! I've been enjoying looking at some of your posts. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we all need a good sulk. Glad you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently got sulky for about three days. I just read Debby's post and saw your reply there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and Rose escaped that joint like a real couple of banditos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes one needs a good sulk. That is an amazing pattern you're weaving now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sulking? I hope there wasn't a serious reason for it. Nice to see you back and interesting to hear about your illicit adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was so nice of you to take Rose out for her haircut, and good for her for being able to get in the car and stow her walker. Keep moving, both of you.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite the kerfuffle indeed! The new weaving looks lovely and I hope it turns out as airy/floaty as you planned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a good friend, Joanne. I'm glad you were able to give Rose a good time. But I guess next time, it would be good to inform her daughter beforehand. :-) I would love to have a friend like you when I'm no longer able to care as easily for myself. Your weaving is so intricate and time consuming. I'm really impressed with your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad that despite the best efforts of Rose’s daughter to constrain her, she got out and had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't comment very often, but I just wanted to say I enjoy your description of the warping process and what's up next on the loom. My college roommate was a weaver, and she always tried to tell us she was very bad at math. I have some lovely wool scarves to prove the opposite. Cheers, Joanne.
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you can get Rose out for some adventures. Should you let them know at the front desk so they don't try to hunt Rose down?
    Your weaving looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You and Rose- the Bad Ass Women! I do understand the facility's concern but damn.
    "Sulk" is such a good word. I need to remember to use it more. Are you okay?
    That scarf is going to be amazing. When you talk about weaving, you may as well be speaking in Martian for what I can understand. It has a language all its own, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have no idea what you said except at the end you will have a lovely light scarf. two little old ladies loose out in the world! did they notice that you were missing too?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joanne, is the place where you stay independent living or Assisted Living? I know it may have both, but wondering which you and Rose live in? And also wondering if either requires you to sign in or out? Just curious. I'm guessing 'independent living'... and glad you and Rose were able to get out and about. As for the weaving, you lose me in all that intricacy, but can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like you and Rose had a nice outing. Next time have her leave a note on the table. My goodness what a fuss they made.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Independence in important at any age!.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did I miss something? why were your sulking? the weaving?
    What a to-do your taking Rose out was. Like you were toddlers on the loose.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was good for the pair of you to go gallivanting together..even if it was just for a haircut!
    With the weather as it is, grab the good days.
    Nice to see the weaving coming along..it may be different, but it is still quality work xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Impressive work. I always love to see behind the scenes, and the tools of any creative endeavor. Looking forward to seeing the pattern emerging!

    As for Rose’s daughter:
    ‘Helicopter parenting’ can go in the other direction too, I see.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I still read and catch up as always. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I may have a comment in spam. I will try again. I am very glad to see this post, and if I am ever in a position where I need to live in a place like that, I hope to have a neighbor just like you. Shoot. Maybe I'll even BE that neighbor. Who knows. But the thing is, if Rose has all her faculties, it is up to her to tell her daughter that she's still capable of making her own life choices. And the next time you two head off on an adventure, maybe leave a note on Rose's table. But still, I love that the two of you are like a geriatric Thelma and Louise. Go, good woman!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Keep up the good works. All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My goodness, you and Rose prompted a search and rescue. How funny is that? You and Rose should plan weekly excursions. Sounds like good fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah, not just a weaver of thread and yarn, but a weaver of mischief! The good kind of mischief, outings and some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds like a nice outing but putting a note on the door might be a good idea next time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. An outing always brings a different perspective to whatever you are currently working on. I am entangled in sorting old pictures. I want to make an album for my new daughter-in-law with pictures of my son. I know this will mean more to her than anything I could buy and give to her. Just keep getting sucked into yester-year!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Glad the Rose kerfuffle ended happily!

    ReplyDelete
  32. First off, I'm impressed with the loom and what you're weaving. It takes a lot of patience. Its very nice! Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete