Monday, February 26, 2024

Missing in action, again

 I haven't been around much lately. I've been much in the real world of chores and meals and dratted exercise classes, but also in some nether world of imagining up my new web site and the fun world of sitting at the loom, weaving.

Much of the business of photographing my new work is thought out.  We don't always consider how new things require new methods. I can put several photos up for each new scarf I weave, but the method must be thought through.

Over the weekend Beth helped me put up a rod for hanging a scarf. There is always the top view I used for towels. And today I saw a photo that I can adapt, with a little cooperation from Kitty. I saw a scarf rumpled up atop a drop leaf table, and its pattern end hanging against the vertical drop. Very effective. Kitty's window seat will be perfect.

Then there is all the verbiage to explain what is going on. Those are a lot of words, of which I am quite capable. They simply need time to percolate, to be written and rewritten. It's all coming together.

Here's a conundrum. Betty, one of our table mates, was in a severe decline a week ago. Close questioning by concerned friends revealed she was, in our collective opinion, giving up, tossing in the towel. The weekend she appeared, too confused to function and feet and legs painfully swollen, we asked management to notify her several children (seven of them, plus grands and great grands) and tell them Betty needed an intervention.

It happened. I understand four children were here. Betty is back on her water pills and other meds. She's eating more. And, one son appeared with hearing aids for her purchased on Amazon. However, she does not know how to use them.

I offered to help her, and told her to bring them to breakfast tomorrow. Tonight I also looked at Amazon hearing aids. Betty says he bought the highest rated. I did not find the brand I wear, Phonak. I did purchase them from an audiologist office, for several grand apiece.

On Amazon I found every auxiliary bit sold for Phonak, but no actual Phonak aids. There are many kinds of hearing aids similar to mine, but no Phonak. The most expensive pair I found were $899. Hmmmmm..... I'll look at hers and see what I can figure out. If they have to be BluToothed to her phone and programmed, I'm lost. However, her phone is an old flip phone in her drawer. We'll see.

26 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you advocated for Betty and she's doing better. It seems as if the son who bought the hearing aids needs to complete the task by making sure his mom can use them. Otherwise, the money is wasted. But maybe you'll know how to make them work. I wouldn't know how to make them work through the phone, either. Any time you're here, it's good to see you.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you rallied around to help your fellow resident. And I hope the hearing aid situation gets sorted. Also the weaving presentation. It sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose that hearing aids like that could work. I mean they no longer have to be molded to fit the ear. Of course, you would no longer have a local office do drop into for assistance or adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt there is a youtube on Betty's particular hearing aid. There is always a youtube. When we had to program the car to open the garage door, youtube saved us. I learned how to caulk less badly by watching technique. So, perhaps this can be accomplished. Thank you for intervening on her behalf, we all need a village.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I read that photographing your scarves would require a little cooperation from Kitty, I thought perhaps she was going to be modelling them! Hahahahaha, I wonder how many treats that would cost you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Betty are good friends. I am so glad you helped her and her family came through. Hopefully, you and Betty can get the hearing aid to work as well. YouTube is a great resource; have you looked there for guidance? Your scarves sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does sound like you've been busy and being a wonderfully good person as well. I hope you can figure out those hearing aids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you intervened on Betty's behalf and got her children to visit. Hopefully they now continue to visit a little more often. I hope the hearing gets sorted too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know how to be a good friend, it's good that you are there for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is sometimes so tempting to give up; just to stay in bed and not bother. I think what keeps me going is to have interests and projects, which I see in you too. Things that make me laugh are helpful too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You might end up having to work out how to use the new phone too...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Betty certainly has a friend who cares. Hopefully so do you

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is good to see seniors helping each other. We have to stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a little perturbed. Why did the staff not notice Betty's decline and intervene sooner? This is worrisome. The hearing aids situation sounds half-assed at best. Bless you, Joanne. You are a friend indeed! Can't wait to see some of your scarf photos. You can give Kitty credit for photo design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staff did notice and arrange a visiting nurse on Saturday. They also called Betty's children and four appeared, from literally four points of the globe. But they did not call Betty's children until I told them Betty was off her meds and close to dying.

      Delete
  15. as everyone says, good on you and Betty's friends to raise the alarm. all those kids and grandkids and no one visits her regularly? I love that you are not only not giving up you are still creating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with sorting out the hearing aids. And aren't hearing aids absurdly expensive? What are they made out of - solid gold??

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely thought of you as I was writing my last blog post. Your intervention with Betty proves the value of where you're now living. Not only do you have people looking out for you, you've certainly got your friend started on a better direction. SO smart about the hearing aids. I've read that hearing loss not only causes people's lives to shrink, but can also cause cognitive loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marty. This is not an "old folk's home", it is where I live now, and a home with a lot of amenities. It also is a very close community and easy to keep an eye on neighbors.

      Delete
  18. I am so glad your group are looking out for each other. Hopefully Betty will feel like herself in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It always makes me feel useful to help someone. I think my sister just gave up, too. She was very depressed about her life before she got covid, so I doubt there was much fight left in her. That makes me so sad. She missed meeting her little grandsons. She reached out to no-one and would not answer my calls.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Joanne
    I don't comment much anymore, but I wanted to tell you are a good friend to have, the effort on behalf of your fellow resident is commendable.
    Hope you're well otherwise. Not much new with me, the girls are doing well, Emily is back immersed in school at the Henry Jackson School of International Studies at Univ. of Washington, and flourishing.
    Cheers, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope things work out for Betty and those hearing aids. You are a wonderful friend to her, Joanne, and to all of us. Thank you for being you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are quite an asset to your community, Joanne. I love that you were there for your friend. You and Rose escape lately?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Re your new scarves: I think you need to photograph one actually being worn. Potential buyers need to see it in action. Can you find a model?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I admire how you're always learning and always figuring out the best way to do something. Your weaving is just always so beautiful to me.

    ReplyDelete