Sunday, January 28, 2024

Adjustment, mid course

Of course I eventually got the mistakes sorted and the warp tied on. By Friday evening I was set to go, after a good night's sleep and all that. I did wind all the bobbins, in readiness for the next day. Saturday morning, after breakfast and emails, I started out.

Can I still throw a shuttle thirty inches, catch and turn it for a return throw? Yes. Is it easy? No! My shoulders ache, my hands hurt and my brain spins from attempting to keep my place in the pattern.


When supper came, I was half way down the first column. Each number represents the treadle to use, and there is also a shot of plain weave between every row.

I got up this morning, full of resolve! Went to breakfast, came back, put in a load of laundry and sat down to the loom. Tonight I am at the end of the second column. My shoulders and hands are shot.


It will be lovely, but not for me to do. Back to texture. It's what everyone loves, so let's do it. I'll mix that rose with a fine cotton slub I asked Ann to send back. She kept it, years ago, hoping to weave cuddly baby blankets. That was twenty years and a dog kennel ago. And she may still; I think she had a case of it.

Speaking of good news, I noticed the other day that the ladder to the roof has been removed from the construction site. Ladder:


There has been construction six and sometimes seven days a week. Young men went up and down that ladder as often a going through the door. But now, no ladder:


Siding is going up. Some ladder will have to come back for the second story and for the roof and the missing balconies. Lots of work left, but they may make a spring opening after all.

24 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're a pro at pivoting. I bet you'll be glad when all that construction is finished too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you like being active but I do wish you would take it easy. Sometimes you scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look after yourself. Please. You worry me when you are hurting by the end of the day and determined to repeat the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your weaving looks terrific and I like the color and texture. You are giving your muscles a real workout. Until muscles are strengthened and toned, some soreness is expected. Soreness could be attributed to inflammation. Tumeric is great to calm inflammation/joint pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    ...I'd join the 'take it easy' chorus too - but am as guilty of getting lost in my craft and over-riding the body's warnings of achy wrists, fingers, elbows, shoulders, spine.......... That pattern is very different and very lovely. But take it easy....🤡 YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be excellent for the mental acuity although tough on the body. Just looking at the pattern made my brain hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your weaving sounds so complicated. I don't think my brain could handle it.
    That is a long, high ladder. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does this mean you gave up on the complicated pattern? I know for sure I could never work that out, though I know you can, but the aching isn't worth it. I'm agreeing with the others for you to please take it a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pattern is lovely..and that is a stretch for hand weaving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant. I think even those young men on the ladder would find weaving a physical challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did well to persevere with this. But your poor body paid a steep price.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You don't have a flying shuttle then. Your building site is looking a bit more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a determined woman, Joanne! Bet it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sorry about the aches and pains from all that work though the end result will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's hard to imagine how all of those numbers and rows on paper turn into a beautiful woven piece. You are amazing, Joann!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even after years of reading your descriptions of weaving and looking at the pictures you post, it still looks like a sort of conjure magic to me. I guess your shoulders and hands wish it WERE magic and not such hard work.
    I look at that ladder and think of men going up and down it all day and I am blown away. When the guys were working on our roof, the father was mostly on the ground, telling his sons who were on the roof what to do. Often in no-uncertain terms. I would imagine that by now his back and legs scream at him every night.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find myself wishing that I lived close by. I'd be begging you to let me come and learn your magic. I'm sure it is exhausting. How wide is that cloth that you are weaving?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It all seems so magical to create those items. Don't forget, the rain in the area certainly made my bones hurt that usually don't hurt. Can you weave just every other day? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Joanne, please please don't do stuff that hurts, you can pay an everlasting price. Bodies don't recover as we age, we don't have the inner physical resources. But I recognise you are stubborn (as I am, as in the socks I had to give up on). But do rest in between.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh you do work hard, but I'm sure what ever you decide to do, it will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. In the UK, using a long ladder like that would be seen as dangerous and usually scaffolding is used instead.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You need to take it easy, Joanne! Take care of yourself and hopefully you are almost done with those orders so you can get some rest.

    ReplyDelete