Tuesday, April 4, 2023

A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum

I had a routine six month appointment with my doctor last month., which I was anxious to keep because my legs had been swelling. I figured I was in for another round of Lasix, the darn "pee pill".

The doc mildly chewed me out for not making a special appointment to come in, listened to my heart and lungs and did not like what she heard. She took an EKG, which she did not like at all. The "spaces were too far apart." She sent me to the emergency room, which also was unhappy with my "symptoms".

The ER recommended being admitted to the hospital for an assessment. From my 1 p.m. appointment with my doctor, I lay on the ER gurney until 9 p.m. at night until a hospital bed opened and I was transported by ambulance to the Cleveland Clinic, downtown Akron. 

In spite of the hour I was put on a heart monitor and given a full assessment. They told me my heart rate was occasionally dropping below 30 beats per minute, and they were recommending a pace maker, a simple procedure. It would happen the next day or the day after, another day of observation and back home.

This was Monday, March 20th. I got the pacemaker on Wednesday, I think, and woke up with it in place, and a perforated lung. The fellow who placed the pacemaker told me it was because I was so tiny. I said it was not my fault. He did apologize.

So, I stayed in the hospital, having my lung plugged. That and the eventual removal of the drainage plug were painful, but quick. By Sunday they were willing to release me, and I sprung for it. By the time I was back in this chair, I knew I'd made a mistake not staying another day (and surely be punctured by more needles). I was in a lot of pain. I went to bed to sleep it off.

Come morning, no improvement. I called Blake to come help with the cat for the duration, and asked to move from Independent to Assisted Living. A new big mistake. In AL, one has no rights. The new story:

Monday and Tuesday I joined in the activities, and met up with a couple of previous IL residents, Big and Little Marge. Tuesday night I contracted the Lurgy sweeping the facility. Vomiting all night, then diarrhea. For two days I made it to meals, as required, but could not eat. I essentially spent the next four days sleeping, bringing the time line to Sunday, when I felt human and could get to the dining room with no rests. 

I joined back in the community activities and worked on walking strength. I had been asking for release back to IL, but the AL staff wanted me to stay thirty days. They didn't think I was up to it. I insisted on an assessment, which I did get today, I was released because I had friends here in IL management advocating release. They were tired of hearing from me!

That's what happened. Because of the pacemaker, I am physically better than when I left. I was winding down before it happened.  The pacemaker increased my stamina tenfold. So far I'm not dozing off during the day. And, I'm back where I'm happy. Just two weeks late.


44 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad after all that, that you're finally doing better. What a series of mishaps. The pacemaker will definitely improve your energy.bi hope you'll be doing better every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an ordeal you've been through! But glad it finally all turned out well and you are back in IL again, with your new pacemaker to keep everything functioning as it should. Additional stamina is great news too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was getting plenty worried about you. Tried to post a comment about that on your last post, but, it didn't appear. Then I checked all the blogs you usually comment on-----no Joanne! Sure enough, something was wrong. Thankfully not another fall. And now you are feeling better. Good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the feeling that something had happened. Glad you're back. My gosh. Your superpower must be complaining. You certainly get results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was wondering why no posts or comments... and hoped it wasn't another fall. Glad it wasn't, but that ordeal you described didn't seem too pleasant. My cousin had a pacemaker put in not too long ago. He 's 76 and started passing out... Now he's doing fine. And I agree about the Assisted Living. Mom was in one and the 'no rights' thing is real. Stay in Independent as long as you can, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too much excitement by far .... I'm sorry you've been through the wringer. But that pacemaker is a wonderful thing once the implementation and recovery is done. Onward and upward, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to finally see an update, but so sorry you have had to go through all that process! It would seem the pacemaker is a definite asset to your living a little easier now!
    How's the cat doing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is shocking to hear about you going from a routine appointment to quickly getting a pacemaker. I am glad you are up and about again and got to move back to where you wanted. I am cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And your birthday came and went. Oh wow what a lot you went through. Happy Birthday Joanne now you're back. XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. A pacemaker for a birthday present?! Welcome back, you have been missed.
    IL and AL in the same complex? That at least is good..but the infection control is not. Virtual hugs ((0))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes indeed welcome back. It must have been a few scary days for you. Glad that everything was picked and acted upon promptly Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hari OM
    I knew it! There was just too much silence. Anyway - to sum up - you needed a battery and it has been provided. Some adjustment, but now functioning at improved levels. Damn about the lurgy - sounds similar to what I had that flattened me for two whole weeks and has left me at at about 87% functioning. Good to have the news - now keep on keeping on dear friend! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you went through it all, Joanne. Glad that things are looking up, at least a little.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite an ordeal, Joanne. I am glad to hear you are feeling better and back in IL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sound very matter of fact about the ordeal, but what a time you have had. I hope you are healthy enough to enjoy some of the sure-to-improve weather.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Joanne! You are quite the fighter. So much to have endured, and yet here you are on the other side, with a new zest for life. You are my idol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joanne! I was so worried due to your silence and now I see there was reason to be. What a lot of pain and problems. But you survived it all and then more! I am so sorry you had to go through all of this. You are incredibly strong. Now please enjoy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear you have been through so much pain and trouble, Joanne, but I'm glad you are back on the right track.
    The little boy that used to live across the street from me is a cardiologist at the hospital in Cleveland. Did you meet Dr. Hodges?
    Happy belated birthday and best wishes for good health and happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It crossed my mind the other day you hadn't posted lately, and now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy cow! Now THAT'S a post! You've had more things happen to you in this past while than some people have in their life! I am so glad you are back to IL and so very happy that you are feeling better. I was shocked to hear that getting a pace maker is a relatively quick procedure. Shame about the lung and yuck to the pain you had to endure. Here's to even better days now! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg Joanne. well, I'm so glad you are back in IL. I didn't realize that you could leave AL once there. good to hear the pacemaker is doing its job and you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You went through a lot in the last couple of weeks. I hope your present condition leads to recovery and a normal life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you're feeling better. Pacemakers are not uncommon in people our age, and are usually placed without issue. Sounds like somebody didn't pay attention during the cath.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, that's quite the story. You've been busy! I'm glad you are back in IL and the pacemaker is working well for you. Take care Joanne and Happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have been on my mind, i wondered what you were up to. Thought maybe you took the cat and hit the road with your gambling skills! You are tiny, but tough- fine like spider silk that can anchor a ship! heartiest person I know! Glad you are out of woods, yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wondered where you were! Now I know! My mom's pacemaker made a world of difference for her, keeping her pulse at a decent rate. Glad that you are so much better and back in IL!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How scary. I'm glad you're feeling better. Keep taking things slowly until you are 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a series of mishaps....glad you escaped back to IL.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a tale - one thing after another - but glad you have come through. I know a few people with PMs - they seem to make an incredible difference - here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jeepers! As an old cardiac nurse, I can't say I've heard of a punctured lung to get a pacemaker in! Drats! Yep, the difference between Independent Living and Assisted is a lot of stuff; mostly ruled by doc orders, Medicare rules, qualifications to need it, and restrictions about how long you have to be in one (money) before going back to the other. Glad you got back on the good side of life. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good grief, what an odyssey you have had. So happy you are back in your IL home where you belong. I've been worried about you, with the long silence. Take care, happy we are that the pacemaker is doing its job.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The more I thought about it, the more confused I got. During a right heart cath to place a pacemaker wire, one doesn't get anywhere near the lungs. To do so, one would have to perforate several surfaces to do so...the vessel wall, then the lung. There would be considerable notice that that was happening during the cath. Are you sure you didn't have a spontaneous pneumothorax? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I consulted with a colleague and he says it's rare, but happens. Nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pacemaker doc said two in his career; I'm so skinny there's not much room between layers to maneuver.

      Delete
  34. Thanks for updating. I worried about you when there were no posts.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So glad to catch up with your news! I was worried when you hadn't blogged. Hope you are feeling a bit better now, but it will have taken a lot out of you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. So glad you are back and with a brand new pacemaker

    ReplyDelete
  37. Goodness, you've been through the mill! Glad to hear that the pacemaker has improved your stamina. And good to hear you'll be back in Independent Living. I hope the next few weeks will be a bit less fraught.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a wild ride it was to get you back to happy land. I am glad to hear it all worked out and you are on the mend. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You sound to have had quite a time - but good to hear you seem to be on the mend. I am glad kitty stayed 'faithful' and settled in during your absence. Sharing a bed surely means she sees it as home now.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh good grief. I'm sorry to hear about all this. I think you must be pretty strong to put up with it all and end up back where you want to be after only two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  41. My word! What a time you have had. I am so glad you are on the mend, and got back to where you wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete