Sunday, June 27, 2021

Another weekend, another show

I am stunned at how easily I fell back into the requirements of show life. I could not be doing this without help, either from Beth or from the farm hands. But once my tables are set up, I'm good to go until the end.

I streamlined my set up completely. No poles to hold up the sign. It's pinned to the front of the table covering. There is Beth, unloading the family heirlooms to her table. We each had a decent day.


I do hope I did not cut off my nose to spite my face! There are only seven of us in the barn, adequately spaced. There are three along the back, and the vendor in the middle sells cards and paper items (I never promised you an art show).

The front and back barn garage doors are open. Last week the cross breeze sent her paper lanterns flying. She resolved it by closing the back garage doors to within a few inches of the floor. Her lanterns were safe, but we sweltered. On packing out I suggested she find a way to secure the little devils this week, as we suffered dreadfully for her that day.

This Saturday was even warmer than last, and the current of air was pleasantly cool. All was well until a sudden gust sent the lanterns flying. Before she even collected them, the vendor stormed back to our door and hauled it to the floor.

That lasted as long as I could stand it. Before I put the door up, I did go over and tell her that if she put her lanterns in her left, in front of the closed door, and displayed her other items in her right, all would go well in future. For the time being, I suggested she go out to the drive and select a few large stones to put in the bottom of the lanterns to weight them down. Her best solution was closing the door. When I sweated, I opened it, and so we carried on for four hours.

I had an email this morning from the director asking me to switch with lantern lady. I agreed, and also told the director my solution of booth rearrangement or stone weights. I think lantern lady will have the same problem this coming weekend, and the door will be left up. On my authority.


Beth brought a lovely fist full of wild flowers, and a Stella de Oro.

36 comments:

  1. Is that an elevated model train track in the rafters?? It would be G-scale, if it is. G-scale is 1/32nd in size and it's what we run on our outdoor garden railroad. I truly feel for you when dealing with heat. Hopefully, changing table positions with her next weekend will end the dilemma. But for sure, fresh air has got to be more important than keeping her lanterns from flying around. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping the door open sounds like common sense to me. I would have found a reasonable way to keep the lanterns from blowing away as you suggested. People!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly you are a "problem solver" -- your solutions were very wise. Simply closing the door and making everyone swelter was a selfish resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nearing 100 degrees and cooling centers are opening because heat exhaustion and dehydration is real. Putting everybody at risk is totally inappropriate. Somebody needs to enlighten the lantern lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some people csn;t be helped. The new arrangement seems more sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds as if you are meant to do these shows given how easily you fell back into it! I can just see that door going up and down all day. You are absolutely right to insist it is open and you even gave logical suggestions to deal with it. The heat can be dangerous and it can also keep prospective customers away. Good for you for standing your ground!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the open/closed door will be in your favour, sweltering while trying to sell is not good for anybody. If Lantern Lady doesn't want to weight her lanterns maybe she can string them up on a pole instead. Anything to keep them stable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your solution and am pleased that you had a 'good market'.
    Fresh air is an essential.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your table at the show looks wonderful. I would love to be there and buy some of your wonderful towels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your booth looks wonderful. I'm sorry the lantern lady couldn't get on board with your practical solution. It's crazy to think that people would want the door closed during hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am pleased to heat that you held your ground, perhaps even muttered a few bon mots under your breath!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some people just can't be helped. I like "Everything old is new again". Could it apply to me?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, like Tasker, I fancy that epitaph Joanne. Isn't it irritating when somebody just doesn't fit in on this sort of occasion. Good luck next time - hopefully she will see sense.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hari Om
    If you are sweltering, the prospective clients will be too - and thus are less likely to linger lookking. Perhaps that marketing understanding will get through to lantern lady? Looking forward to reading how it goes next month!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well that was a bit of a trial. Good luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad to read that both you and Beth did well. Lantern Lady has to fix her problem without affecting others. Hopefully, with the change, things will be better next time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would have probably ended up smacking the woman. Okay. Not really. But honestly- that's insane. It's amazing how quickly you got right back into the swing of things though. I think you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. She sounds like a real peach. I'm glad you are back to your old life. I do hope sales are brisk! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you are enjoying yourself! Hope you have great sales! (and you can keep the door open next time)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. good for you. why should the rest of you suffer because one vendor can't control their wares. and if she thought she could cow you, well, has she ever met you before? besides with covid and all, both doors should remain open. I'm not surprised you slipped back into the old groove seamlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm impressed that you're into the swing again right away. And the paper lady.. Paper and wind aren't compatible. She needs to plan better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you..Wish we were back to fairs as well,but with the virus as it is I can't see it yet.
    Good for you for standing up about the door...hot customers don't buy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How self centered can a person be? Happy to hear that you'll have custody of the door next time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sorry about that. Glad sales went well for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Keep that door up, my friend. No reason exists for anyone to sweat and swelter.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Our weather has brought up extreme humidity from the south. I think most of the customers do not want to sweat. Being comfortable as possible should help business. Keep the air flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The other vendors will thank you too with the door up.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, obviously you made too much sense for the lantern lady - moving and/or weighting down her lanterns. Nice though that you had a successful sale day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope you sort out your disagreement before it turns nasty! Weighting down the lanterns with stones sounds like a sensible suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like the lantern lady doesn't appreciate good advice. Hopefully she will wise up for the next show. I am glad your shows are going well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The lantern lady could stand some enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Once at a fair a big puff of wind blew my display over and my rosettes and Ukrainian eggs went everywhere. The other vendors rushed to help me gather them and salvage what I could, and set up my table again as best they could. I was crying so hard I could not help much or see through the tears, but their kindness I have never forgotten, forty years later! I had things weighted down, but it was not match for that puff of wind from nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pysanky eggs are a whole different matter. Everyone would have rallied to save art pieces. This vendor had easy solutions at hand and refused to use them. That no one moved to pick up her art after the first time tells the story.

      Delete
  33. I don't like the lantern lady much for her selfishness. Why should you swelter since she isn't taking any advice about how to secure her stuff? Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete