Wednesday, October 16, 2019

The rest of yesterday, some of today

Yesterday actually began well. Lots of sunshine, and my list of errands was falling like autumn leaves.  

First a trip into Akron to have a hearing aid repaired. It's still the big city, but not nearly so intimidating as when I walked and rode the bus. Especially not after daily and weekly trips through never ending construction, with Laura, to some of the oldest, trickiest parts of town, where all the hospitals are still located.

Then back on the freeway and north to the Verizon store in Hudson. We tinkered with my phone and agreed the on line technician was out of her mind to think the salesman could solve the app problem I have. I did leave the store the owner of a free tablet for a mere $10 extra dollars monthly to my contract. Say what you will in the comments.

Next stop was to be due west to Peninsula, and north to see what was being done to Boston Park. As I approached Riverview Road I said to myself, go the other way on Riverview to the library, two doors down. Use the restroom, say Hi to the staff, then go take on the National Park.

Who did I run into than John and Kathleen, friends for more than thirty years, but out of touch these last three years since they moved across the valley. We all piled into a car and went to lunch and a two hour catchup.


The operative word was "piled". John had a massive, debilitating stroke more than twenty years ago, and my mobility issues are only a little behind his. I met them when they had The Crooked River Herb Farm in the valley, and took in rescued sheep, goats, llamas, dogs and cats. Chickens, too.

Then I went the other way on Riverview, down to Boston Park. Here are two pictures from yesterday, to refresh your memory.
Looking west to the park:


Looking south toward the old end of the Boston Park:


That's the old park, with two cedars in one corner and a sycamore in the other. Now, here is a postcard that came in today's mail:


Two cedars in one corner and the sycamore in the other. I spent the afternoon on the phone with a trustee. I told her, the joke's on us. When the two of us are dead and gone, so are those cedars and the sandstone walks.

Talk is good. In the course of the conversation I wondered, since that green rectangle is not a parcel, how did the Park get permission? I learned the Park is required to meet county drainage requirements, and those hills and valleys I saw yesterday are drainage holding ponds.

Those of us who live here and have fought the park for our rights, all these years, know what the park wants, the park gets. That pretty much was the reason I ascribed to their grabbing an acre of land to develop. That grey area past the sycamore, by the way, is for RV's.

So, if the Park actually was made to do something; i.e., put in holding ponds, it's time to stir up public opinion again. I need to learn how the Summit County Engineer gave up the right to the road right of way. It needs to have been done in writing, or it won't be legal. Although "legal" has never bothered the Park.

I think my biggest and best opportunity to preserve that little square of cedars and an old public water fountain will be some national recognition, such as tying the CCC to it's existence. It probably will do me good to go relentless again.

And the reason I got the postcard? I was invited to an open house for local government officials, toward the end of the month. Hell will freeze over before I set foot in the new CVNP Visitor Center.

32 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    resistant as ever! That's our Joanne. It does look very 'urban' for a nat park.
    How wonderful to meet up with old friends and all the better for the spontaneity of it! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might re-think your decision to check out the Visitor Center...might be good to know what the competition is up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheering you on from this end. I'm fighting another fight tomorrow and will post about it afterwards.

    Heartbreaking what can be done to beloved landscapes and heritage.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get so aggravated when I work so hard to have conditions set to what the majority of people want them to be and the government turns around and does whatever they wanted to do in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another battle to fight and I wish you well. You are a force and that is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to meet up with old friends and get caught up! And the park officials and bureaucrats are probably feeling a cold chill run down their backs right now, and have no reason why . . . just a sense of foreboding. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How neat to reconnect with friends!! Bet the visit/lunch was enjoyed by all! Good for you for getting a tablet! I still use the tablet son got back 5 years ago from Verizon. I took it off the plan when it was paid off so I can't get Internet on it if I'm not at a site with Internet, but it still function for what I want it to do (mainly reading digital ebooks from the library).

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you know why your brain told you to go that way. to meet old friends again. You may be right about the eventual loss of the Sycamore and Cedars, but I hope not. I hope someone else steps into your shoes and takes over your good works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad that you met up with friends. And that your inner dynamo has bee sparked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you listened to your intuition and it led you to meet up with old friends. I'm sorry about the park issues. I hope your advocacy along with like minded individuals can lead to some positive changes to suit everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is a good thing to get involved in fights like that. Too much is being done without consultation, let alone our consent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fighting the good fight can be the best thing that can be done. I admire you, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  13. go git 'em girl. fighting and being relentless is what you do and yay for that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All power to your elbow!
    We have found that, years ago, the lpocal council ran a drain under a property we have in the town...
    We wish to construct there, but they are insisting on very expensive works to preserve stabilty...and their drain.
    I have asked for a copy of their permission as there is nothing in the national register of property...I know they do not have it, so then off - yet again off to the Constitutional Court to get them to remove their drain.
    A great life if you don't weaken.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a great photo of you and your friends. How cool that you bumped into them like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with the good fight. Local politicians can just be the worst. In Oregon each little designated area has their own water district. It gives a bunch of old guys a chance to sit around for hours and pontificate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who has the history of the CCC in this county? Have you asked the downtown Akron library?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Owning my own business, I am always assaulted with unwanted "advice". We have 30 acres and most of it is undeveloped. We have no intention of clearing trees to add more sites. The sites we have added are pretty much in the woods. Someone is always eager to suggest that we clear all "those" trees so that sap and hickory nuts won't be a nuisance to RV owners. I do have some spots that have no trees, and on really hot days, those campers complain relentlessly. I have lost count of all the baby trees I have planted to create some shade where shade is sorely needed. It is a selfish world we live in ….. the leader of our world sets such a great example of being totally self-centered!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, you should fight. I can't believe that people are still advocating cutting down trees unless there's clear evidence from insurers that the trees are seriously damaging homes etc.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hopefully you got your phone fixed or replaced... and let us know how you like the new tablet. I've never owned a tablet although I know they are popular. I tend to do everything between my iPhone and my laptop. So great to run into old friends. Glad you had the opportunity to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So wonderful to see those old friends again. Yes, not saying what I am thinking about the tablet. Yup, call into existance the CCC.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck challenging the authorities. As you say, there may be laws but they're often ignored on the quiet. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They have no idea what hornets' nest they have hit!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like a very productive trip and the best of luck with the authorities. Also, glad to hear that you ran into some old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  25. While I don't understand your issues that well, I see you are certainly concerned that the park follow the rules. Have you thought about voicing your concerns to the local TV station or other media outlets?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful to bump into old friends like that. A golden day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You always make me laugh. I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of people "piling" into a car, in a nice way of course!

    ReplyDelete