Good evening, blog followers.
This is Joanne's daughter (Joanne Elizabeth, aka "Beth"), and I am writing to let you all know that, despite a year of almost unbelievable comebacks from numerous traumatic events, Joanne has finally been undone by a chest scan.
At a regular visit to her GP ten days ago, to which she actually walked from the car, she was urged to go to the ER for elevated blood pressure and low O2. Unfortunately, that led to a chest scan that revealed a large tumor around her esophagus that was not there just four months earlier - completely out of the blue.
She cannot fight this one, folks. It's one thing to soldier on through a broken leg or two, but quite another to subject oneself to chemotherapy and radiation at 83. And if there is one thing Joanne has always been very clear about, it is that she intends to make her own decisions about how she lives—and how she leaves.
She has led an amazing life, and I will have much more to say on her behalf later. For now, she is in hospice, and she has asked me to reach out to all of you.
Please leave any messages for her here, and I will read them to her and relay them. I know how much the friendships and connections she has made through this blog have meant to her, and I know she will be grateful to hear from you.
That's all from the front for now.
—Joanne's daughter, Beth

Oh, Joanne. I was afraid something had happened. Just know that your fighting attitude has been an inspiration to me, and I am sure, to many others. I hope you get to vote blue in the midterms. This bs is bound to turn around, and I mean to be a part of it. Thank you for your example.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Debby. Joanne says she's counting on you to be dead center of the protests that will happen between now and midterms, because this has to end.
DeleteWhen there was a long absence I thought Joanne had left us. I wish her all the best on this last journey. I have enjoyed reading here blogs over the years.
ReplyDeleteBeth, thank you for sharing. I was hoping we'd hear from Joanne again, just not like this. I miss her words, and I think of her everytime I look at her red weaving on my dining table. I'm not a religious man but she's in my most earnest thoughts and wishes.
ReplyDeletePlease give her my very best wishes. She was always the spunkiest and courageous of women, with a well-defined wry sense of humour. I enjoyed her immensely. As she prepares for this final journey, I hope she will be pain free and find peace.
ReplyDeleteBugger Bugger Bugger……if it’s not one thing it’s another.
ReplyDeleteFight the good fight Joanne, for those who went before you and those coming after.
Love from Cathy……still clicking her knitting needles and listening to the Clancy Brothers in a cold wintery Melbourne down under.
Please give her my best, and my thoughts are with her and her family. She's been a fine blog friend for several years, although we haven't kept up in the past year or so. I still have the kitchen towels, blue and yellow, she made for me.
ReplyDeleteThank you Beth. She has given us much to admire over the years, without actually meeting her. I live in Northeast Ohio and knew many of the places she mentioned. I wish her peace and comfort.
ReplyDeleteJoanne, I've not been a commenter but I have been reading your blog for a long time and have enjoyed it a lot! Thank you! Wishing you peace on your journey forward.
ReplyDelete