Sunday, June 16, 2024

Where have you been?

It's Sunday morning. I'm doing laundry. There are two machines in our laundry room, and generally I am using one and Sandy the other. But this morning EMS took Sandy to the clinic. I teased Maddie, the other machine is free this morning. Old folks humor.

I did eat breakfast with Maddie in the atrium, after she watered the plants. This is the other atrium, the one I pass every morning, going to breakfast. The Japanese dogwood is in full bloom. The other atrium is surrounded with plants that Maddie and our activities director, Joan, take care of. 

That atrium is like working in my old gardens, except I can't, anymore. I did decide this morning I can carry the watering can on my walker tray and take care of the plants in pots, so I'll do that. I asked Laura to bring me a shovel full of pinks from the old garden.

In other family news, my oldest daughter is in Ireland, on a hiking trip around the Dingle peninsula. I'm sort of jealous, but not so much. I can't do that kind of walking any more.



The first is the Dingle Bay. The second an historical library somewhere in southern Ireland, or a train ride away from their base lodging. Perhaps another time she'll head for Omagh or Armagh, where our Presbyterian ancestors originated.

And my other daughter bought a house. Not the first but hopefully the last. This house is half a mile from her sister. Isn't it amazing, how siblings can fight like cats the first twenty years and be friends ever after.

I'm weaving red rosepath. I'm weaving the paths as well as the roses. I like the look of it and can't wait to get it fulled. That will be next week, earliest.

It's been some time since an update on our two year old construction project. It has devolved into mud. In addition, I wonder how attractive apartments renting for thousands per month will be with a view either into someone's window or the street with traffic; cars, trucks, ambulances! Anyway, here are some views:








The top picture is right out my window, across the trash strewn parking area. These apartments are several feet below grade, as you can see. There is no water retention area; they are the retention area. Aurora seems to have no master water plan in effect.

The second picture is the concrete poured between these apartments and my building. Excuse me, but wtf? Just one more nail in the flood plane problem. What about those second floor balconies! They could at least have installed beige railings!

Moving along, the third picture is the sidewalk to nowhere and a view across the parking area, stacked with excess siding, so the dump trucks bringing in dirt from who knows where have an awful time getting it dumped. The sidewalk to nowhere ends just under Kitty's window. I need to get down there and figure it out.

And finally, see that chunk of red in the last picture? That's just another piece of trash they didn't bother to pick up; all that concrete is poured over any piece of siding, pipe, drink bottle or 2x4 in the way. 

Every one I explained these problems to just rolled eyes way back and said "Not in charge!" Well, my second floor apartment won't flood, come the big storm. 

I'll take pictures when the landscaping is done. Probably next summer.


36 comments:

  1. Construction is creeping right along. Is Sandy okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Below grade construction is the work of the devil. Learned that one the hard way, never did it again. Why is that even allowed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the residents here are from around here and are offended when I criticize the state of affairs out there. So, I looked it up. Unlike Summit County, where I lived and worked, even in government, all my life, Aurora is not on the conservation train. It is in Portage County, which has a master water plan, but unlike most cities in the county, Aurora has not joined. I bet it has something to do with Sea World, which was a big attraction here, until an Orca killed a trainer.

      Delete
  3. Nice Rosepath!
    But not very nice construction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that your daughters get along in adulthood. Thanks for the update on that apartment construction. The new weaving pattern is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely want to order one of those beautiful rosepath towels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weaving looks lovely! It's nice that your daughters are friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is weird they painted the balcony railings white and no white anywhere else. hopefully when they get the landscaping in it will soften the look but what is the point of those two big concrete circles and the area that connects them.

    same with me and my sister. though we didn't really get to be close until my mid 20s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the circles will be shuffleboard or bocce ball. I hope they will paint the railings. They are just home improvement store plastic, in my opinion.

      Delete
  8. Hari OM
    I too love that weave... but less so that construction. Balconies? More like fall prevention fences tizzied up to fool the eye. As for floods... it's one of the reasons I opted for a flat up a level! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It takes time, eh? Hopefully, it will all work out.

    I see what you mean about beige railings, but the building looks pretty nice to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weaving is lovely. Not so the buildings way below grade, flooded houses waiting to happen. Good thing you're on the second floor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has taken a long time to get that far. I hope flooding isn’t a problem there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I get older, I like growth and developments less. But I'm thrilled with seeing the paths between the roses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love rosepath. The construction/misconstruction does my head in. Further.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the excitement and admittedly horror too, around you. the cloths are gorgeous, the cement pouring not so much.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. The white balconies are very glaring. And it doesn't sound like the view from them will be scenic either! I love the towels and the beautiful designs. I still want to make it to Ireland one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does your country not have construction codes that must be adhered to by law? Any shoddy work found by building inspectors here gets torn down and rebuilt. Or fixed if it can be fixed without tearing down. Every step of construction must pass the inspections.
    The old library looks fascinating. I really like the rose path pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how regulation works in this county. I know it should be guided by local regulation, state and federal regulation.

      Delete
  17. Construction that pays no attention to watershed is poor construction and land use. Residents will likely have water problems and there is nothing worse than water flowing in to the house. The Rosepath pattern is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The weaving is lovely, but the glaring white railing is not! I hope someone changes it. Paint is so expensive now. That is what prompted me to suggest torching the deck to preserve the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots going on in your life right now. Keep on looking after plants.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’ll go to Ireland with you and I promise we’ll walk slowly. I’ll find you a heron too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Views on the street side shouldn’t be ‘too bad’ - noisy maybe but there is some greenery (tall trees)…..unless the owner of that land has plans for developing it.
    Hopefully there’s lots of plantings going in beside the concrete paving or the heat coming off it will deter anyone from walking along them. Means you’ll be blinded whenever you or Katherine looks out. How is she by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Joanne, your daughter must have loved Dingle. I did when we were there back in May of 1996. And I like that rose path design!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The rose path is beautiful - the beige construction not so much. At least the white railings lift it a bit (even if they are glaring).

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the new apartment block is quite attractive compared to some of the hideously ugly apartment blocks that go up in the UK. Pouring concrete over any old bit of rubbish is bizarre. Did they get a bonus for fast work, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hiking round the Dingle peninsula sounds nice, but hiking in Ireland always involves more rain than you expect, somehow. Or at least it does with me! Even with climate change, companies are still allowed to build on flood plains without mitigation. I like your latest weaving.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beige. Beige, brown, and gray. These are the colors of the boring, the bored, the unimaginative and the hopeless. I am so sorry that you have to look at that mess- not just the colors but the sloppy way they're going about the construction which is the very opposite of your work ethic.
    I love the red rosepath.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Spending some time in Ireland sounds like a good time. Hope your daughter shares some more photos so you can share them with us. Thanks for the construction update. Take care of yourself, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  28. When I was first married, we went to Dingle: our first trip overseas. We went out in a boat and I caught a fish. Back on dry land, a local asked if he could have it for bait!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good grief! That concrete will be a time capsule some day. We were in Ireland last year. I can just imagine the fun your daughter is having.

    ReplyDelete