Sunday, June 2, 2024

On the road again

 A remarkably short trip this time. Last Tuesday I had a dental appointment, followed by a picnic supper at my sister's house. The dentist was not so good; more than one cavity and the same old hygienist turned surly. I do not like the modern method of tooth cleaning by water pick. As I've told her time and again, if you can't keep the water from blasting down my throat, please do the job the old fashioned way.

Dinner with Jan and Tom and Laura was fun. Standing in Jan's new kitchen and chatting was fun. And knowing that in my absence a box of new weaving thread was scheduled for delivery to my door was even more fun. Jan and I arranged that the very next day, Wednesday, she would come in the afternoon to be the official thread changer, putting on a new spool of thread when an old one ran out.

When it was on and we were clearing away the tools of the beam dressing trade, Jan said she was very pleased; the entire warp was beamed without a single knot. She used to put on rug warps that way, but wondered if we had ever managed another in our long career. I don't know.


It is lovely. The warp is also two inches wider than previous towels, twenty four inches, not twenty two. It's weaving at twenty two inches, a bit more than ten percent take up. That's good.

But to continue with the boring bit. I spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday threading heddles. This is the part that can put me to sleep, it's so mesmerizing. I'd realize suddenly I'd threaded 4-3-2-1 instead of 1-2-3-4, and that would be it for the day. There still was one threading error to straighten out this morning.

Today I started weaving Rosepath. It is lovely. So far I'm only weaving the roses, not including the path. I'll try a bit of that before I begin weaving towels for sale. The current batch are rose thread, to free up all the bobbins I wound. This time the long float, that is so good at soaking up wet, is horizontal, not vertical.


One more thing about this pattern, and then I'll leave off and go weave some more. When I used to devour old weaving patterns in interesting sources like Dover reprints or Foxfire or Whole Earth, I loved the weaving notation "tromp as writ." It's from the days when intelligence was shared on scraps of paper, and the sharer, having used a precious scrap of paper to transcribe the threading, condensed the remainder of the weaving by noting to treadle exactly as threaded. This pattern is a true tromp as writ.


30 comments:

  1. I love that old language. And your continuing enthusiasm for your trade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dentist uses ultrasonic cleaning, but in conjunction with a saliva ejector to suck all the water out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see the loom up and running again! I love Rosepath too.

    Thankfully my hygienist doesn't use a water pick...they'd have to scrape me off the ceiling if she did!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beyootiful pattern.
    No pick for me. One hygienist ago (who I miss), I asked her not to use it. And she would also numb my gum areas with a topical anesthetic. But I think the office stopped using the picks during Covid because of the potential to spread all those germs everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's beautiful! Water pick to clean teeth? I've never heard of that before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    It's so prettteeeeeee... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosepath is quite impressive. Your visit with family sounds like a very good time. I'd change dentists. The hygienist is unacceptable. Ultrasonic cleaning is the better practice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new pattern is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosepath is gorgeous. Sigh at the hygienist. And hiss and spit too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No cavitron for me! No no no no. They do it the old fashioned way for me. That's a beautiful towel pattern. Your spatial relations are off the charts to do that work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually have a dentist that still cleans the teeth with hand tools. He must be going the way of the dinosaur soon, but I'm really glad I'm still able to have my teeth cleaned by him.
    The Rosepath is looking sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed your picnic with the family and as far as I'm concerned, no dental appointment is good (not even just a cleaning). As for your weaving terminology and practices, I'm completely lost. But your expertise, enthusiasm, and pattern are to be admired.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm happy and excited for you and your new weaving endeavour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A picnic with the family is always good, a visit to the dentist whatever the technique never good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, the dreaded cavitron! Nope, you may not use that on me. I have a few very sensitive teeth and that thing sends me to the moon. LOVE the Rosepath pattern, it is gorgeous. Happy tromping!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at picnic! Love a picnic with family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Finally I can comment again!
    That pattern looks great.....I still have - somewhere - my book of patterns, given me by a New Zealand lady then in her eighties when I was in my twenties....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad my dental hygienist doesn't use a water pic but she did many times suggest I use one at home. she finally quit recommending it when I told her no way was I going to use a device that caused water to be sprayed everywhere that I had to clean up after.

    lovely pattern, rose in rose. I see another one of your towels in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dental hygienists are not my favorite either.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning Joanne, you talk a strange language here but it's lovely Tromp as Writ should be an embroidered motto. I kept thinking also Writ be Trump. Wouldn't that be lovely?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't liked my last two dental hygienists. Finding one that's thorough but gentle seems to be difficult these days. I've also started dreading every dentist visit because they're always strongly recommending thousands of dollars worth of work. I feel like they care more about my money than my teeth.

    I would like to buy some more of your pretty dishtowels soon. The ones you sent me when we bought our house over 5 years ago are wonderful! I use them every day, and think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful pattern and a very beautiful colour, Joanne!
    I am happy to have found a good dentist here in Bavaria.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd never heard of tooth cleaning by water pick. It's certainly not routine over here, our dentist uses the conventional scraper (which can be painful but effective).

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sorry about your dental experience but the pattern is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That pattern IS gorgeous and the color is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The new pattern looks wonderful, Joanne. Excellent work as always.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the new pattern. Use your towels everyday and wear like iron and don't even fade through many washings.

    ReplyDelete