Friday, February 17, 2023

The case of the abstracted Kitty

Kitty came to live in my apartment on February 11th. You saw her once, briefly,  enigmatically looking at us from the "outhouse", and perhaps a small sneer curling her left cheek as she considered her next move. 


I petted her and spoke nicely. Her fur was surprisingly stiff and bristly. I said Good Bye, and left for a bit. When I came back, I found Kitty had abstracted herself. I've dealt with cats for seventy years, or more. I was not concerned. 

Her food bowl was full, as was her water bowl. I began looking for her. I even used my flashlight for behinds. I checked "unders" to the best of my ability. At weeks shy of my eightieth birthday, I dare not get down to the floor to check the absolute "under", to the wall. I convinced myself she was not under any chest or cupboard, behind any book case, or on top.

That left only the bedroom. I checked as far under the bed as I possibly could, then gave up the affair. I got up the next morning and found she had ingested a substantial meal. Excellent! Obviously she would not starve on my watch. And her little snores in the middle of the night from her redundant pharyngeal membranes, drifting up from under the bed, were oddly comforting.

As the day went on and she did not appear to say Thank You, or give any sign of gratitude, I began to reconsider. By bedtime I'd decided to make food available only when I was in the apartment, and to buy treats the next time I sent a shopper to Heinan's. I also ordered feather toys, which were delivered yesterday.

And so the week went on. Water was drunk. Food was eaten. I never saw her, but I did see the the occasional kibble dropped on the carpet, and definitely gone in the morning. The litter box showed she was not going hungry.

Kitty is the source of great discussion among the residents, and considerable research. I am applauded for doing everything right. I am nothing but instinct, and my mother and grandmother telling me, "When they are hungry, they will eat."

I went through her paperwork one more time, and saw the overlooked paper from her trip to the veterinary clinic when she was found. Her age was assigned as five years, probably based on her teeth being intact.

Last night I got up for the bathroom trip. I came out of the bedroom and turned left to walk to the bathroom. At the same time Kitty came down the hall from the bathroom and turned right, to go who knows where.

We met, ten feet apart. I backed into a chair, sat down and began talking kitty. She didn't move. I reached the microwave, opened it and extracted a handful of kibble, which I left in a neat pile on the carpet. Kitty took advantage of the change in the action to scoot into the living room and melt into the furniture.

I went to the bathroom, then back to bed. satisfied we will meet again.




31 comments:

  1. You are being very patient. I do hope she starts to trust you soon and you enjoy your new housemate. - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more comfortable you can make her feel, the sooner she will really trust you. It may take time, but it will be worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She needs time and you're giving her time. Can't rush a cat, as you know.

    ReplyDelete





  4. A year ago, I adopted "Timmy" from the local Humane Society, pre-named. I now know that stands for "timid". From the start, it became apparent he had been abused in his previous life. He still scurries from me as I walk by, obviously sure I am going to kick him. I now can approach him as he sleeps on the back of my couch and gently pet him with one hand, but if the other hand approaches him, he runs, thinking I am going to pick him up. He will come into the bathroom while I am on the toilet where I can pet him with one hand and he purrs, but my other hand must stay out of sight. Two months later I adopted a second cat, 5 months old because I still needed a kitty to cuddle. She adopted him and taught him how to play. A year later, he now will sit on the far end of my bed watching her get cuddles and pets, and on rare occasions, he will approach just close enough for me to touch his nose with one hand. More than that and he is gone like a shot. I have hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure she'll come around eventually and you'll end up the best of buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a cat that was having some issues at home, so we lent her out to a seniors; residence. She spent a week up above the hanging ceiling tiles. They asked us to come and take her back home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is eating, drinking and sleeping. Time will take care of the rest. She needs to learn to trust and you have the patience for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too think you are doing all the right things, Joanne... and it may take time. Do you know any of her past history? Was she given up by a family or just found on the street? Her past and her personality will play a part in how she comes around. But loving kindness almost always works in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cats are like people; they have to warm up to us when they get to know and trust us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hari OM
    😼 Isn't amazing how it is possible to disappear in 50sqft?! Yeah, she'll get the hang of it. And you'll get the hang of her. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your patience will win out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If she can’t get out the door or the window I’m sure you’ll meet half way one day. Shell surprise you when you’re least expecting it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She sounds like the average teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She's a cat....she'll be planning her takeover.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor little girl. She is probably still terrified of whatever happened in her last life. She will learn to trust. You know how to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It took two weeks or so of Cat being in the yard and me looking for her and talking to her every day before she would let me approach and scratch the top of her head.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My suspicion is that before long she will not want you to leave the apartment without her. Sounds like one of those who does things to extremes to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joanne I love the way you are telling this tale - I suspect it is a long time since she met humans she thought she could trust. I am sure your patience will pay off in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are doing just fine ... just go about your regular routine, talk to her even when you can't see her; sit in your usual chair, work the loom; tell her you'll be back in a bit when you go somewhere! Let her come to you and, hopefully, she will come to rub up against your legs or ... even better ... jump up into your lap!
    Torties are different, so it will take time and patience!

    ReplyDelete
  20. In time she'll know she is in her forever loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been coming here and checking your blog daily for a week now, wondering how things were going. I think you've made great progress. It took Houdini over two months to quit hiding, but now he romps and runs with William all over the place. I noticed last night, stealthy cat movements in the dark in our bedroom. I talked to him and the noises stopped but he did not bolt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds like progress. Maybe a head scratch in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful adventures with kitty when you see her! I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cats will do what cats will do, all in their own time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely to see the bounce back in your writing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great story. She will be running your life before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are doing exactly the right things. She'll come to you in her own time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We fostered lots of spaniels but one came to us who just sat hunched over and was unengaged for days and days. I feared for her mental health. Slowly she unfroze and became my best bud. Poor cat has been clearly been through a lot. Thanks for taking her in.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are very kind and patient, Joanne. I figured Debby would have good advice for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. When we brought our Larisa home, she'd been a breeding queen for four years. We had adventures like yours; she wouldn't let us touch her for 62 days! Then she evolved into a typical cat. Larisa passed away on December 1. Next Saturday we are making a five-hour drive to pick up our new cat, Dutchy. Everything is ready for her to settle in and explore. It will be fun and interesting, like what you're experiencing now!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like things are going well, at least moving forward. Cats like to pick whom they friend and rarely do they do right away, but sounds like you're making headway. Do swing by for a visit.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete