Sunday, February 5, 2023

Bring on the light

Five fifteen and still light out. Just finished dinner! Half a side of salmon, steamed carrot rings and a baked potato. The detritus needs cleared away, but I also need to write a blog. Oh, and I am crunching a magnesium gummy. After years of suffering some kind of restless leg syndrome, I have a cure. Magnesium in the evening.

I confess it's been a strange day, what with a fire alarm at 4 a.m. Another false alarm, I'm sure. I slept in until ten this morning and missed connecting up with the Mexican Train players because I pushed so many phone buttons there was no sound from my phone when Margaret called to tell me to get downstairs for Mexican Train.

The geriatric cat becomes more of a reality. I have accumulated the $250 non-refundable cat deposit. I need to wait for it to clear my bank, and even then it will be too soon.     

Yesterday I began purchasing everything a cat needs, whether it wants said thing or not. There is no negotiation on location. The cat will live in the cat window, from which I can attend to its earthly needs without bending over. It worked for Toby, and will work even better for a new cat, whose obligation is to be grateful for a new home.


I purchased a cupboard that will hide the cat box. It will go diagonally in the back right corner. I bought one with cat tree paraphernalia on top. As I remember, it will all come flat packed and need assembly. Oh, well, Monday is soon enough to worry about that.

I bought a cat carrier. I bought a litter box and scoop. I bought kitty litter. I did not buy food or food dishes. I will hold off on the former, until I learn what she is used to eating. The latter is plain oversight. I think I'll finish and post, clean up my kitchen, and order cat bowls.

Jan got a new knee Friday, and is home today. Wonderful for her, but I've lost Tom for handy jobs for some time. Laura too, unless I can figure out how to nab her. All these PE classes have left me stronger than formerly, and I probably can assemble myself. We'll see how it goes.

I have my eye on a calico named Tori. She has been in the shelter since October, weighs eleven pounds and is six years old. She's a black and orange calico, a mix I find quite attractive. I do wonder why she is named Tori. We shall find out.



38 comments:

  1. Tori looks a lot like our Micky. So soft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cat, once you get one, will live like a Queen! You are outfitting your place with everything a cat could want! I hope you do get Tori because she is a beautiful cat. My Rare One and I enjoy playing Mexican Train too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does $250 get you? The cat plus all necessary shots? Tori looks lovely. Will you have a chance to visit with the cat(s) before making your decision? - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a non-refundable deposit against cat damage! I had to pay a deposit for Toby, too, but it was refunded. Feral or no, he was a proper cat. Personally, I am offended. But it's not my building

      Delete
    2. I was so busy sputtering, I wasn't clear. The $250 goes to my apartment building. I must pay for the cat separately, to the shelter. It's another $100, which I find fair. They have sheltered her for five months. They may have have chipped her, or else her previous owner did that. She is neutered. Her shots are current.

      Delete
  4. Tori is a real beauty. I do like Calico cats too. Tori's eyes are sweet and lovely. She will be great company for you. I hope Jan makes a speedy and full recovery. The docs really push people to heal and using their new body parts seems to be an important part of the process. Tom and Laura should be able to squeeze you in to their schedules occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just about ready for Tori. She is a beauty! The exercise classes are paying off. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a beautiful cat! Now i am thinking...I may need a basket full of kittens. Never mind that half of the family is allergic. And never mind that all of our furniture has been clawed to shreds by the last lot...We need cats, don't we.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get non-refundable deposits. If it's in case of damage and there is none, the money should come back to the payer. Tori is a pretty cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your prospective cat. I think the deposit is just meant to dissuade, nothing to do with potential damage. I bet she was Victoria! I rescued two sister cats, one I renamed Victoria, Vico for short, one I renamed Boudicca, Boud for short. Turns out that probably means Victory, too. Cats rule.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your potential cat roommate is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tori is a beauty. I look forward to hearing about a relationship that will benefit you both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice cat! I like cats, but I travel too much just now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for preparing well for a new kitty roommate. Tori is an interesting beauty. Hope she has enough manners to not mess with your weaving and loom! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet that Tori is named that because that particular color is called tortoiseshell. She is a lovely looking cat. You're such a practical person, and I love that you're taking an older cat. They are often the ones who never get adopted. Everyone wants kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS: NONREFUNDABLE????? That seems unfair. If there is no damage, what is the justification for not returning your money.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is lovely. Did you know there are no calico males? If you come across one you can make a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hari Om
    Well done you, being so organised and ready (and willing to pay the price) for a new fur companion... and seeing this picture of Tori, I do so hope it is her. But if not, I am certain it will be an equally appealing pussy! And I hope you get some assistance with that cat box/tree build. That dedicated corner is delightful. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Five fifteen and dinner is finished? We don't even get to the table until 6:00 pm, often later. Hope to read soon that your feline companion is keeping you company.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joanne, Tori looks more like a tortoiseshell, then a calico.... but it could be the pic (and could account for the name). We had a similar cat, Molly. She was a sweetheart... lived with us for 19 years. I hope Tori gets to come home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tori is beautiful and looks as though she will settle well - from the sound of what you have bought for her you sound to be catering for her every need. Tori coud be short for Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
  20. And now you will truly be at home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tori is pretty. Maybe Tori is short for Victoria, as in the queen of your apartment that she will be.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tori is definitely a tortoiseshell rather then a calico. They tend to be more pastel, softer in color then the Torties are.
    She's a pretty girl and I hope you two will be the best of friends!
    She may find the loom and yarn way too enticing and attack! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tori is a beaut. All the best with her, or another cat if that is how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh a cat will be nice. If it's Tori that will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You sound very well-organized and ready for the beautiful Tori!

    ReplyDelete
  26. She looks nice...reminds me of The Patchwork Dog and the Calico Cat"!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tori is very pretty. I hope she is soon yours and settles in quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely cat! She will certainly have it made once she is yours. Or you are hers. You can never tell with cats. Good luck with the assembly. I used to tackle self-assembly without a second thought. Now, the instructions are in miniscule print, written by people for whom English is a second or third language and the parts seem to have multiplied!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Indeed, if the cat has been lucky enough to land up in a friendly home, she'll have to accept a few house rules in return!

    ReplyDelete
  30. As others have said, Tori looks like a tortoiseshell (but according to Wikipedia torties are called calico in the US and Canada). Tomato, tomahto :) I really like the dark shades of this coat colour. I've only seen one up close and personal in my life. She was found as a kitten on the bank of a brook, with a trout she had caught by herself, and was therefore named Trout. Tori will have a good home with you. Especially if your salmon can be shared with her!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great news, Joanne. I can't wait to meet your new feline friend.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for mentioning Magnesium as I have restless legs also and I would much rather get relief from a natural ingredient rather than one I am on. You never know who you will touch.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I thought that color pattern was calico but it is more properly called a tortie. Calicos' colors are separate color blocks/spots. Torties are all mixed together.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are very efficient and prepared. Tori is a pretty cat.

    ReplyDelete