Monday, September 21, 2020

Sunday sunshine

Yesterday, at my desk, by the window, I became conscious of a heat pack on my shoulder and back. I snuggled into it, tipped my head a bit in, just to spread more of the soothing heat around.

Then I thought, "if this is the window, even better the door," and I was off to the door. How right I was! Heat enhanced through the glass panes. I went out. I sat on the bench and felt the heat seeping in from those generally uncomfortable metal slats.

Just lolling about never works for me, sadly. I went back in and looked for a container to hold a job I had in mind.


For the next hour I gathered seeds from the salpiglosis. 


Or hope I did. They don't resemble the seeds Deb sent me. To be safe, I'll buy a packet of seeds, come spring. 

I spent two hours or more on that little deck and hard bench, heating myself in the sunshine. The temperature barely was sixties, but the sun was glorious. 



Eventually I came in for a late lunch, left the sunshine outside for everything out there to enjoy.

I set to weaving after lunch. I had to tie the warp back to the cloth beam, do some idle weave to take up the tie on V's, then weave a bit I can use to cut off the idle weave.


If I've never illustrated this part, here it is. The towel warp is tied to a metal rod that runs the length if the cloth beam. The V's must be teased into proper shape. I weave in a heavy cord (I could fly a kite with it!). It's too soon to begin the towel because it would be difficult to cut it away from the idle weave. I make a border of some more scrap thread. I make the same little border at the other end, when I cut the length of cloth from the warp.

The big V's and all the thread used to straighten them out and then begin is called "loom waste". There actually is a deal of loom waste. All this beginning V business happens half a dozen times over the course of a warp. Then there is all the thread attached to the back beam, up over the warp beam, through the heddles and the reed. Sigh.


Here is the next warp, started yesterday afternoon. It's called slate. I quite like it. I'm off for lunch and then I'll weave. Today's sunshine is not so entrancing as yesterday's.

38 comments:

  1. I like the slate too. Sun always makes the temperature feel warmer, and is so soothing. Glad you got to catch some rays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's a V?
    You weave wonderful stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The V is the big space between each group of threads tied to the cloth beam. You see them as all the threads, or as the V space between the threads.

      Delete
  3. You can describe how you weave all you want but I still think it's magic. Hard-work-magic maybe but magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weaving sounds like I would enjoy it. I find it hard to just sit and watch TV without something to keep my hands busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the rug you hooked for your granddaughter from her old T shirts.

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    You are nothing, if not industrious, Joanne - so a little sun-lazing is not to be grudged!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sun can be like magic to cold, achy muscles. Your weaving is always amazing to me. You are such a skilled artist in a world that could use more like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoying the sun on a cool day is nice. I'd be happy to just have a cool day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weavers are magicians. How was it perfected I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is amazing how pleasant a little sunshine can feel on a sunny still day after a bout of cold ones.
    And of course you are industrious. I think it is as integral to you as you bones - and breaks less easily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have had some sun this weekend too..oh, the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to see the weaving in progress, even though I only partly follow the explanations. It's beautiful to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cats have the right idea about lolling around in the sun and warmth, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the slate. Let me know when the towels are available for sale. I'll take 2! Do you want pre-payment? Let me know what to do and when. Hugs and admiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. When they are ready I will get shipping information from you and send you an invoice. Easy peasy.

      Delete
  14. Everybody should know the value of sitting in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always liked sitting somewhere to get some sunshine. I remember having to share what little bit that came into the house with the dog when we lived in Montana. I think both of us welcomed that bit of warmth!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the slate as well. Sounds like your weather on the little deck would be just to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. so glad the sun's warmth found you. I truly am dreading winter- the cold is not my friend. You are already thinking of spring, that's the spirit!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here comes the sun and I say it's alright.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The seeds you gathered are the seed heads, with the actual seeds being inside them. If you break one open you'll see them. If the seed heads are empty they have already dropped the seeds.
    I like the slate colour. I often bask in autumn sunshine too, also in early-mid spring when the sun has enough warmth, but that basking is done inside, away from the pollens.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loll about more than ever these days. It suits me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're like our cat Nelly, who found the sunbeam on the floor and slept in it until it went away. That is a nice colour for the towels. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  22. The whole weaving process is just so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you enjoyed the sun. It looks Ike there’s good few days of sunshine on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  24. sometimes I read and then forget to comment. tiny black seeds for the salpiglossis.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I learning to weave too...Navajo style. So far I've finished two rugs and on my third one. I've decided to make handbags and set up smaller purse size looms. Love your towels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Navajo style weaving is so complex, and beautiful!

      Delete
    2. Weaving is addictive! More looms! More styles!

      Delete
  26. Weaving really does seem like magic, especially the making a design part.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I sit in the sun in the front window for 5 minutes every day that it's sunny... the glass magnifies the heat. I do it for my vit D (which is always low).

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sunshine is the best especially after it has been missing for a few days. We really enjoyed this past weekend as it had been absent due to the wildfires. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The warmth of the sun in the fall is the most precious of all.

    ReplyDelete
  30. "seeds from the salpiglosis" don't ask me I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete