Monday, February 25, 2019

Monday morning, rescued


                         
If you live west of the Mississippi, it probably wasn’t a great weekend, either. I can tell you about the weekend east of the Mississippi. Rough.  The warm temperatures were completely ruined by the heavy, pelting drops of rain and then the increasing force of blowing wind.

I went out to investigate some rattling down the street, and discovered a length of my downspout bouncing in front of one neighbor’s house, and another piece in my opposite neighbor’s front yard. 110 pounds of me had a sore trial against sixty odd mile per hour wind gusts vs. gutter rescue.

First I took the uphill, wind to the back side. It had to be done, but the wind almost put me down. I had to park myself and jam the cane tip at an angle and lean against it. But I got the little curvy end from Dan’s front yard, and turned back down the street for the long length of downspout actually dancing up the road toward me.  I got it, too, and stashed both pieces leeward of the trash cans.

By the time I went to bed at ten, my exterior walls took solid blasts, but my trash cans were intact, and I was tired. I also was not looking forward to today, and an eye exam and the need to select new frames. I hate eye exam day, and being sight impaired for the rest of it.

This morning trash cans remained intact, but the rain barrel was toes up, faucet down at the foot of the steps. Laura passed it further down the drive on the way to school, so it blew there. I got it on its bottom and left for the dreaded appointment.

Last year I needed one lens upgraded, but passed. I like my frames too much, and could not bear giving them up for a week to have new lenses made.  This year both lenses needed another boost, as I knew they would, and I made my way from the exam to glasses, shoulders sagging.

There was a new optician at the desk.

I sat down across and launched my tale. I like these frames so much I did not get new glasses a year ago. But this summer my glasses were involved in the tragic accident to my femur, and have never been put right in spite of several trips here for re-adjustment!

“Well, put them down on the table,” said the new optician, and she rocked them up and down on their current pivot point. Axis? Who knows. “This is a very simple fix,” she announced. It wasn’t that simple; three trips to the back room were required. Then they fit perfectly.

And there I sat, torn between perfect frames and new lenses.

“Now,” said Ms. Magic, “let’s see if these frames are still in production.” Two and a half years later, they still are! She apologized for the extra couple of days to get the lens templates, but so what!? I will be seeing again, through perfect frames.



35 comments:

  1. Your glasses are lovely and your trip to chase the bits of your house sounds quite harrowing.
    We have horrible winds today and I am in Rhode Island.
    Found your lovely blog just a day or two ago and am already a loyal reader.
    I'm a disabled (semi) grandma and love blog reading.
    Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed when I saw this photo of you......because I am embarrassed to say that I do the same thing......have glasses on my face, and sunglasses on my head. Oh, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, it makes total sense. And works out so perfectly. Why carry them anywhere else?

      Delete
  3. Only twice in my memory have our winds been strong enough to impel pieces of house to visit the neighbors. I commend your determination in the storm. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate getting new eyewear. It takes forever to get them adjusted right. Abd this time around, I tried progressive lenses again after being unable to tolerate them years ago. Nope. And the second try, with bifocals in, were made wrong (not my fault). I'm waiting for the third and hopefully final edition.

    Those frames are excellent on you! I'm glad they're still making them and you can get everything just as you wished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awful. I cannot tolerate bifocals. They literally flipped me down the steps, twenty years ago. Progressives ever since.

      Delete
  5. I have an eye test shortly - never pleasant.
    You did well to rescue those bits and pieces in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy you got what you really wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like you, hate an eye exam, when I find a frame I like I hate to give them up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are lucky to be able to keep your frames. I always have to get new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hari OM
    I have several frames and have kept them all for years. I dread ever having to give them up! You had me on seat edge with the windy tale!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, those frames suit your face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Joanne, I agree with Kathy G that those frames suit your face. It's wonderful that they are still in production. And wonderful, also, that the optician was so agreeable and worked with you. Having worn glasses since I was a sophomore in high school back in 1951, I do understand getting attached to a certain frame! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is such a relief when a doctor’s appointment goes right. Those frames fit you very well.

    These winds are wild. Everything from the block I live on gets blown up here to my yard and gets tangled in the trees and gardens. I can see a plastic bag hanging on a tree in my woods. I hope today is the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That optician is worth her weight in gold! She really knows her business! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've looked for my reading glasses and there were stuck on top my head.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't bear to change glasses either. Thankfully, only my bird feeders were sent flying and I was able to recover them, whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those frames are great looking and look great on you. Glad they are still in production; they will be worth the wait! Wow with those winds! You were a trooper to get out in them to retrieve the items.

      betty

      Delete
  16. I like those new frames very much and may look for something similar when I get new lenses. I've currently got the one with the adjustable nose pieces and I'm forever having to adjust them after I clean the lenses and the bits get pushed out of position.
    I would have called for help getting those bits and pieces back against winds that strong.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hardly like to mention it, but Europe has been blessed with beautiful weather for the past month. It's all change on March 1st when the rain returns! Into every life, etc....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Weather sometimes seems flirting with the emotions of all kinds

    ReplyDelete
  19. A relief to find an optician who sees your point of view!
    Stay safe in this weather..we don't want you getting blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We also got hit with freezing rain and high winds, but, except for a few spots of blowing snow, the roads were clear enough by the time we had to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I NEVER like the frames I get. Never. Yours are definitely worth hanging on to.
    Woman! You be careful out there in that weather. Downspouts can be replaced. You cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mine are a lot like that, and I love them. I'm not looking forward to two lense changes after cataract surgery, so I took a pair of really old frames in for the first set of lens changes. i want to end up with this pair, the ones I have on today, as my final pair. :) Bravo to your new oculist.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am with you, eye exams are not fun, driving home after is a challenge pupils large as basket balls, yellowed whites from drops, headache for the rest of the day...frames are tricky I have had mine a long time, both arms have been broken, nose pillows replaced, bridge replaced. Nothing about my frames is original but I like them, and only them. When I weighed 110 pounds I think I was eleven years old...the wind was not my friend, I have figured out how to trick the wind now, and weigh substantially more, a hurricane could not take me!That was very brave of you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have to say, Joanne, that you are daring to go out in those winds after all your 'falls'... but I expect that you do what you have to do... and are cautious about it. As for the frames, glad you've found ones you like. I too have progressive lens and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Goodness, that was determined of you, rescuing your guttering in the wind and rain. I'm not sure I would have done the same.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Storm after storm here, from snow to rain within 24 hours. Ugh!

    They are perfect frames, Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
  27. We have a crazy situation in our UK opticians. It costs more to reglaze an existing pair of glasses than it does to make a new pair. I recently cleared out a drawerful of old glasses going back decades. At least I was able to give them to a charity that will use them.

    ReplyDelete