Saturday, February 17, 2018

Shut up and dribble


The Fox host, Ingraham, told LeBron James and Kevin Durant to “shut up and dribble” in response to their criticism of the president. I just backtracked to delete “snarkily,” as in “snarkily told…”, so I might  sound less snarky myself.

I’ve forgotten everything I know about baseball and paid attention to no other sport in my nearly seventy five years. I do pay attention to people, though, including LeBron James. If nothing else, he’s the hometown hero. More than that, I’ve watched him grow from an awkward teen phenomena to a poised and influential spokesman for his sport and for cultural divide issues.

I spent my day driving my car; I’m tired and about to go to bed. I dropped Laura off to see her sister’s new apartment. Bekka, my oldest grandchild, has completed her welding apprenticeship, has a job welding for a company with a Navy contract, and, (trumpet sound), her first apartment. Emily, currently known as Blake Lytle, was there too, so I left the three to their devices and went to take their aunt, always known as Beth, to lunch.

Complete aside to the narrative, but Blake was on hands and knees, pinning and basting pleats into many yards of Black Watch plaid. I was gobsmacked, so to speak. At her very age I did the same, and made my very own, authentic kilt, with leather straps and everything. I teased her about the pressing of the pleats she has facing her, to which she replied, “Grandma, I’ll take it to the cleaners to get pressed in!”


Bekka, Emily (aka Blake), Laura

After lunch I backtracked for Laura; we went shopping so we can forgo that tomorrow in favor of her helping out Kay. What is my point, you ask, of my generally less than five hundred word essays or complaints.

Simply this: those athletes have kids, just like the rest of us. My first thought—ask LeBron James to make a public statement about school shootings. “Just like Willie and Farm Aid,” I thought, merging onto I 90 toward Beth’s house.

Farm Aid! I shouted out loud. We’ll call it Kid Aid or School Aid or some other cool name some marketing person can think of, and I’ll ask if a stage full of athletes can make a pitch for congress to take back control of this country from the NRA, and ban the sale of semi-automatic weapons, plus background checks, etcetcetc.

My job for tomorrow is to compile a list of athletes and addresses, who I can begin mailing to next week, asking they find someone who can put together a public service ad. I have an artist friend from the old days who has gone on to bigger and better contacts. I'll call him. 

The beginning for me is the beginning. A list of who to contact and how to reach them. I’ll send the file to any one of you who would like it.

29 comments:

  1. That's a great idea, Joanne. I hope it goes ahead.

    Have you seen this?
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/florida-school-shooting-gun-control-rally-1.4540697

    (Kids and parents at the Florida school where the latest shooting took place speak up)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to the young girl on getting her first apartment. Exciting days I'm sure. The young ladies all look very happy in the group photo. I wasn't quite sure about Blake Lyttle. Does this mean she is transitioning? All the best to her as life is so complicated for people these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea. I don't even know if Blake is male or female.

      Delete
    2. He he, could be either one...like Blake Lively - a female.

      Delete
  3. The grandkids look happy! An exciting time for Bekka. Well done, young woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hand making a kilt! Oh my. That's a lot of work.
    I really hope this new project, Kid Aid or School Aid or whatever it comes to eventually be called, takes off running and hits high speed fast. Change like that can't happen fast enough in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    ...oh yes, there zi is... and that got me searching the unknown pronoun, (defn.#3, I presume, applies). Well done to Bekka. Three sisters finding themselves...

    ...and a gran who continues to do that too!!! Your inspiration sounds worthy, Joanne. Wishing you well with it. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do admire the way you support them through thick and thin - pleats and all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds as though the school kids themselves are going to take control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a constant source of inspiration to me. Nice to see a current picture of Blake. I like her new name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so admire people who can see a need and just 'take charge' 'take action'...and Joanne..you are that people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great idea. Maybe musicians could do something too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyful asked the question for me. you shame me Joanne. I'm long on talk but a little short on action besides voting. I always vote. and unfortunately, I think that is the only way this will change because the ones in office cannot be shamed or cajoled or debated into it. they are cold hearted and shameless. Good to see the kids speaking out, being vocal. they will all be old enough to vote soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my current senators and representative are so red that any call just falls on deaf ears. they won't even hold town hall meetings.

      Delete
    2. I do feel your representation pain. They suck. Voting is all that will solve this, but in the meantime I'm all for calling the bastards out.

      Delete
  12. Action and resistance is what the country needs. My 24/7 caretaker role now limits my activism so mostly I just send some money...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Action, resistance and ATTITUDE, Ray. We need to be a constant presence, the biting gnats on the side line, so they know what is going down, right up to the day the election is lost. Look into Jen Hofmann's Americans of Conscience checklist: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UwobF7egoOUORMG383X7CBXSQpNu8TB_4PVFXKxlwmU/edit

      Delete
    2. Good for you. Sending money is a important. Elections aren't cheap!

      Delete
  13. Everyone has the right to express their political opinions, even professional athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I imagine Ingraham critizing those sports figures with ash on her forehead.

    I'm tracking candidate who I think might be worth their salt and send donations when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you. I'm fighting health, buty really care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Joanne, right now there's no time or energy to do the writing, etc., that you've suggested. But as soon as health concerns calm now, I'll be in touch to get your suggestions. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am quitting your blog. It has become obvious to me that I don't belong here. No hard feelings and best of luck to you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's great. You're so proactive. More people like you are needed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would like someone to explain to me why sports figures, entertainment figures, and people like me are not allowed to have an opinion much less give voice to it. Who does someone like Laura Ingraham think she is? She has access to her television program. That makes her opinion more important than mine? Poppycock!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your "aid" statement reminds me of a national contest us band kids were invited to enter back in the early 80s to name a marketing campaign to raise money for music programs in schools. The winning entry was Band-Aid. I forgot what my entry was, understandably, because there was no way anyone was going to beat "Band-Aid".

    ReplyDelete