Sunday, February 5, 2017

A terrible analogy


Stronger folk than I demonstrate around the world, while my little stream of postcards flows to Washington, and potus throws out executive orders with sound and fury which, unfortunately, signify something. His is an ill-considered power move, an effort to be seen as powerful and effective out of the gate. 

Social media around the world, anyway that which I read, shows resistance large and small. How about America First, Netherlands Second. That’s a great set of buttons from a lot of countries. He does read polls, I hear, so every poll we answer may help. In small ways and big, just resist.

Back in the real world, Laura and I went shopping for a dress recently. For the next dance, of course. Miss leggings and flannel shirt seven days a week sure likes to dress up for a dance. Grandma fashion adviser thinks her build is more suited to straight lines than to layers of net and chiffon. No more pouf.

We sorted though half a dozen tall racks of dressy dresses. Most were floor length, so the hangers were over both our heads. Several trips to the dressing room later, I had two prime candidates over my arm, when we broke right out of the racks and straight into The Dress.

Like two kids. “I like that,” said Grandma. “I love that,” said Laura. “It needs a leather jacket,” said Grandma. This child has had a leather jacket on her wish list since forever. We added it to the purchase and headed to checkout. Her Christmas money was wiped out.

The dance was last night. We done good. Makes me almost remember being fifteen.




40 comments:

  1. Wow - you two are a great team! I love the leather and lace ("they" wrote a song about that, didn't "they"). Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are gorgeous and you are a lovely Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet is that last picture... You did good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - beautiful clothes! And the leather jacket brings another dash to it.
    I saw the video of The Netherlands (and put it on my Facebook-page) and laughed so much that my eyeliner vanished into my tears - but then: it were tears, nevertheless. Not only a joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are over the top. I recommend them to anyone who needs to laugh today.

      Delete
  5. She looks amazing.Joanne you have a beautiful grandaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG 15. I remember 15, not a good year for me. I was finally allowed to date and I never got asked out. so good for Laura, dressed up in a pretty dress with a date and all and no older siblings around to bring her down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadie Hawkins dance. She asked him.

      Delete
    2. ha! that was the only date I had at 15...Sadie Hawkins and I asked the guy. I had a real crush on him too. Was hoping it would lead to him asking me out. and while he was very nice to me he never asked me out.

      Delete
  7. leather and lace - Stevie Nicks. Oh, those were the days. I remember sewing my own dresses for dances. Never seemed to have a date, though. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fifteen looks wonderful! Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect, hope it was a great evening for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hari OM
    Oh yes, I agree with the chorus - great teamwork on the party non-pouf!!! As to the other..yeeecchhhh. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful dress. Hope she had a wonderful time at the dance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The leather jacket made it. That's exactly as I would have worn that outfit. 15 is a terrific age for going out. Exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree you two are a great team. Laura and her date look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny how executive orders were a bad thing a few months ago. The hypocrisy is absurd

    ReplyDelete
  15. You done good, grandma! This is so sweet.
    I dread reading the morning news to learn of one more idiot thing Trump has done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a really pretty dress and it looks great on her. I'm with you, as you know, politically. I protest mostly in Twitterland but a friend convinced me over the weekend to join a local resistance group. It's not my style, frankly, but when this is done and over and I'm looking back, I want to remember that I stood up for the generations I haven't yet met. I think there are a lot of you and me people out there-we are not just going to sit back and lose our country.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The dress is adorable, and the leather jacket is great. Good for Laura.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  18. The granddaughter is beautiful, the boy is dressed like a mortician.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The dress is perfect for her. She looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cool with your comment it needed a leather jacket. Lovely dress, beautiful young lady, smashing couple. Hope they had tons of fun!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  21. They're a cute couple. I like the dress a lot, I LOVE the leather jacket. Always wanted one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good memories with your grand-daughter. Not just the dress, jacket, and the dance, but the shopping trip! Beautiful❣️Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. The leathe jacket was the perfect accessory. Laura looked lovely and very trendy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How beautiful Laura looks, and how happy. These pictures make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've read that president 45 does not read much. Mostly twitter and TV I gather.
    Nice pics - kids do make you feel young but after playing with little ones your aches and pains remind you how old you are.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So sweet! She is just perfect! Keep those postcards going .... for her!! Potus doesn't read because he probably lacks reading comprehension. He seems to have a very short attention span, so a good book would not appeal to him. Picture books, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely young couple!
    I have been following the "postcards to Bannon" hashtag on Twitter. Hilarious, but also sobering....

    ReplyDelete