Saturday, March 7, 2015

Chutzpah and sleep ahead


It’s been a long day with a camera with no pictures. My itinerary was to take Emily to work, return home for breakfast (for although I say I get up to eat breakfast, seven a.m. is not breakfast time!), back to the village to mail parcels, up the hill to the turnpike to go visit Linda, return for Emily and make a stop at the Peninsula Art Institute—all before supper.

I had a picture in mind from yesterday. Perhaps there was sunshine yesterday.  A line of deer prints across the ice on the little lake are turning into large circles as the temperatures rise. They were like large crystal pearls yesterday. This morning, at 7:45, they were less remarkable.



As we drove to work I reminded Emily this is spring ahead weekend. “I know,” she responded. “I’ll be so happy for an extra hour of sleep.” “It’s spring ahead, not sleep ahead!” After a pause she said she’d probably call me from college in two years for another explanation.

I had lunch at Linda’s, greens and beans—nothing finer—and came home in time to take a container of pearl cotton to the Art Institute to see if I could trade the director for some 8/2 cotton, as Linda and I won’t be going to Sheldon’s for a month.

Weekend Peninsula is a pure pain in the patoot. I circled twice looking for a reasonable parking place, and the phone rang. “Gramma, I’m off.” Two-thirty. Be still my heart. I went up the hill and back down to the ski slopes, to get the lift attendant I had delivered at 7:30.

“Light day?” I asked, although the slopes were packed. In fact, no. She had not been relieved for her lunch break until 2:30. As she came in from the slopes she passed Austin, and told him she would be eating her lunch at home.

On the way back we discussed management by college students. She is not impressed. I have the feeling she will plow snow for the garden center next year before she will work the slopes. She does agree it was a “real job” and worth the experience, and after I pick her up on March 21st the ski pants can go right into the goodwill bag.

Back to the Art Institute and a parking place right in front of the door. Carol, the director, had nothing I could trade for, so I left several pounds of pearl cotton as a donation. Her weaving students were on that table of goodies like the well known duck on a June bug as Emily and I headed for home. All in all a satisfactory day, although there will be no more lime green thread until we go to Hendersonville in April.


25 comments:

  1. Well at least Emily gave it a good shot and was a hard worker on the slopes!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Emily standing up for herself. Finally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew Emily would stand up and be counted. It was the crowning achievement of your fine fine day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd hold off on throwing the ski pants into the Goodwill Bucket until she knows for sure what she's doing next year.....fate can be (you know what) sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess Emily finally had enough. good for her. as for that gorgeous fabric you wove, we need to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good for Emily; now experiences of life from the past; curious, what will you be doing in Hendersonville in April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying weaving thread from the broker's warehouse.

      Delete
  7. I'd be keeping those snow pants a while longer... my niece got married in SE Ohio on April 4 (about 25 years ago)... outdoor wedding... in the freshly fallen snow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear about Emily's chutzpah. I'm happy she stood up for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good on you,Emily. You are worth more than the ski slopes.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will await the Hendersonville trip for the wonderful lime green as well as many other wonderful colors. i am anxious to help!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire Emily for sticking with the job, and for sticking up for herself. You had a full day. Sleep in tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to know Emily realises she was being taken advantage of.
    Why put the ski pants in the Goodwill bag? Won't they be great for shovelling snow?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for Emily, you've taught her well! Can't wait to see what new creations result from your trip to Sheldon's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hari OM
    Yes, 'real' work experience at the early age never goes amiss.... meanwhile we don't get 'light' till the end of the month! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks shiny frozen there like it does here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I chuckled at your conversation with Emily regarding the change in time. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds as though parking places are as difficult to find over with you as they are here Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm still confused by the whole spring forward, fall back and college was a long time ago. My worse job as a teenager was picking olallieberries with a cousin. Our boss was so mean we nicknamed him Hitler.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Greens and beans sounds nice to me. I like American home cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spring ahead and loose a entire hour ? Hopefully we shall get used to getting up an hour early. Have a great weak.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Damn the time change. I am thrilled my order will have the green. Let Emily have her dreams of spring; snow is on the horizon.
    Did you have cornbread?

    ReplyDelete
  22. As I think back on my work life, I realize I could have learned from Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We learn so much from our unpleasant experiences. Emily got a good education on those ski slopes.

    ReplyDelete