Saturday, October 4, 2014

That's a lotta bulbs!

Seventy new anemone bulbs went above the pavers.
Emily surveying one hundred mixed spring bulbs, snow crocus and such like,
to go in the Canterbury Bell garden to her left.


Laura reading how deep to plant the new allium bulbs.


My job is to clear out the old iris vegetation between the pampas grass.
All the green gone back to earth, as an old gardener said to me recently.
The new "two faced" iris have been planted, One is there at the extreme right, waiting for spring.


Forty one degrees as we worked. Definitely too cold.
This pretty ground cover still has little blue flowers.
I am pleased with how quickly the ground covers are owning the garden.
These were from one inch pots this spring.


Checking which side goes up. Or down, as the case may be.


Half done. Grandma has cleared the spent foliage from between the pampas before retiring to watch.


And I think we'll take down the bird baths next weekend and get all the feeders up.


22 comments:

  1. everyone is helping planting all those bulbs, how wonderful, wondering about that pampas grass though, hope you never have to remove it, as it's really a difficult thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    my word what a busy crew... that place is going to glow in the spring! Well done gardeners. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been times that just knowing that the daffodils would be blooming again in the spring made it easier to get through the winter... and it wasn't just the weather. What a glorious, colorful, cheerful spring you have to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your spring promise. Bulbs are an addiction aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to the spring flower report!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it that your grandchildren are having this opportunity to get their hands into the ground and to enjoy what will happen in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your youngest g'daughter bears a remarkable to my youngest girl, 20 years ago. Same ponytail....wish I still have the energy you must have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your spring garden is going to be a blaze of colour! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am pleased to hear that Grandma retired from the bulb planting session - I planted a lot last week end and my back is still telling me that I overdid it. Hope you have a wonderful display in the Spring - then the children will be so pleased with their handiwork.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bulb planting is hard work! I remember putting my 300 tulips in one year. Thought I would never be done and finally just tossed the remainder on the ground and covered them with shovels of soil and hoped for the best. Oddly enough, that particular patch grew the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is getting much to cool to enjoy working outside and all the weekends here are wet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 41˚! that's winter in these here parts. we just dismantled the pool last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Signs of the times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great way to bond with your grandkids and also to get the yard ready for winter.
    I enjoy seeing the seasons pass in your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is great that you get grand kids involve in gardening. Keep them busy and spend some quality time too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garden is looking really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your post has done me a service - I had forgotten my early spring resolve to plant bulbs this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this - I keep meaning each year to plant bulbs-the time sneaks up on me-very cool that your grandkids do it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice work! A beautious colorful spring will be your well-deserved reward.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Creeping Jenny (one of your groundcovers) and am envious at the idea of starting up something new, gardenwise, at this time of year when I'm dreading putting mine to bed.

    ReplyDelete