Thursday, July 24, 2014

Cue up the clowns


Getting Emily’s band uniform was slotted into the nonstop activity yesterday, squeezed in while Laura was at archery camp. Emily’s boyfriend emerged the school building shortly after Emily went in, put his uniform in his car and hurried back into the building.

Forty five minutes later Emily came out, uniform bag and hat box in hand, plus boyfriend and a girlfriend. After a fond and solicitous farewell near the car Emily slid into the front seat. I was backed into the parking place where I waited; good to leave.

Except, there was a car in front of me, exiting the lot into the service drive. As it rolled past a young man jumped on the trunk. Another young man lifted the trunk clutcher's legs and “wheel barrowed” him around the corner. The trunk hanger slid off the car, unharmed.

I looked left and right again, in order to exit my spot. Another car approached. The two boys rushed it, this time one jumped on the hood, one the trunk. The car proceed through the lot, onto the service drive.


“Teenagers do not drive teenagers. I rest my case,” said, probably, the only adult driver in the sea of cars.

18 comments:

  1. oh my goodness glad you were backed in i can t tell you how mant adults walk behind my car when i am backing out so adults may not be very thoughtful than teenagers

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the hypothalamus - the seat of judgement - in boys that age I think it's the size of a garden pea. A small garden pea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I wonder how any of us survive out teenage years. Males and females both (but particularly the former).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I believe in God. If there was no God, no teenagers would ever survive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. High spirits at play....it's what keeps the population in check.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a young person I had a very active imagination, which steered me away from many possible misadventures... it was all too easy for me to imagine painful injuries, etc... Unfortunately, I was also very trusting.
    My best friend and her brother stopped in front of the house to chat (we lived in a very rural area, with little traffic) and I hopped up on her hood whilst we were talking. Best friend and brother decided it would be funny to startle me by taking off with me still on the hood. With nothing to cling on to, I watched in horror as she steered directly for a pothole, fully cognizant that this was going to hurt..... Sure enough, she hit the pothole and I hit the road, skidding several feet and applying my skin to the road surface liberally, leaving very little on my left shoulder, arm, and hip.
    Several hours later, after my mother giving me pain medication... strong pain medication.... a cousin asked me if I was in a lot of pain. My reply (according to witnesses, I don't remember it) was " Pain? What pain? I'm too busy floating for pain."

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Hurricane's prep school had a rule that students were not allowed to drive other students in their cars. The Assistant Head of School made this announcement at orientation and then hastened to add that riding on the outside of the car also was not allowed. The students had a saying: "Green SUV, stay away from me." The security people were in the green SUVs, not that The Hurricane had a problem with them, but plenty of kids were tossed out each year. No-tolerance policies with follow through lead to more students following the rules -- except when the students want to be expelled.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. and if their parents only knew what they were doing and the risks they were taking!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my granddaughters is nearing her 16th birthday and will want to learn how to drive. My heart hurts just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did some stupid things as a teenager. Hope Band camp & Archery camp are fun x

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Teenagers do not drive teenagers"
    Seems like an excellent rule to me.
    My own grandson is not allowed more than one passenger of his own age when he is driving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, at least it was exciting! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope the point was well-taken, even if it did not appear to be.

    ReplyDelete