Thursday, July 11, 2024

I haven't gone over the edge yet

A silly little meme has popped up several times recently. It's profound, actually, and needs shared: If the earth were flat, a cat would push everything over the edge.

Kitty does not work from that direction. In fact, since that great television disaster the first month she lived here, she's made no effort to jump up on anything.

She tried to jump onto the chest that holds the TV, but sunk her toenails into the mat under the TV and dragged everything several feet to the floor. No cat was injured, and the TV likewise survived. 

Now Kitty is content with standing on her two back legs and surveying any flat surface she can see. If something is enticing, she claims it. Chap stick and pens are most fascinating, and I am currently reduced to pencils. I guard my chap stick closely.

The warp I wound on end of May or the beginning of June is gone. I only put on fifty turns because I did not know how the current towel would be received. But all the towels left on the shelf were hemmed and put there tonight. so I should weave more towels next time.

Jan is coming to monitor the spools on Saturday, and then I'll be tying on the current warp of probably a hundred turns. That should turn into maybe fifty towels and perhaps I can get a little ahead. The rosepath towel is very nice, and there are other small weaves that will be good for towels, too. I think next I'll try a birds eye weave.

You would think in a building of a hundred residents it would be hard to keep a secret. I'm privy to one that has been kept. Tomorrow is Rose's ninety sixth birthday. Rose is adamant there will be no singing or fuss. In fact, she instructed the dining room director the staff is not to sing and there will be no cake.

Rose's daughters have outwitted her. Every Friday most of the residents gather in the Bistro for live entertainment and "Happy Hour", in the hour before dinner. Unknown to Rose, her daughters, and probably sons and daughters-in-law, will appear and lead the party.

Rose is one of my dinner partners, and it's clear no one has tumbled, and Rose is pleased as punch tomorrow will pass without a fuss. At supper tonight, she didn't even mention that tomorrow is her birthday. 


29 comments:

  1. Oh no Poor Rose. I would be so angry if that happened to me.
    I ma saving the towels I bought - they were to be Christmas gifts but...I am so greedy for them I may just keep them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that Rose's close family members are behind the celebration and will be there will surely soften her feelings about all of it. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that the surprise doesn't upset Rose. My now 4 year old grandson specifically requested no singing of the birthday song and we honored that. It's difficult to know exactly what to do--is it best to listen to the person or gamble that they actually do want some fuss? Mari doesn't knock over many things but when she does, it's a doozy. (like a mocha onto carpet)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Hmmmm... is surprising a nonagenarian a healthy thing to do? I hope it goes well... Meanwhile, glad that Kitty is settling into a routine of her own and that it works around yours comfortably! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that kind of surprise that goes right against what the person wants. I hope Rose handles the disrespect appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Rose. I would be very cross indeed.
    I have certainly had cats whose mission it was to bat things off surfaces - particularly breakable things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone else here. I hate having a fuss made about my birthday too, and was quite upset when a song and cake was sprung upon me in the lunchroom at work one year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the kitty! I don't know what it is that makes them want to push things off of flat surfaces. My sis had a cat who loved to snag the straws from her cans of soda! I had one that liked to steal anything metal and drop it into his water bowl. Does kitty bother the loom or the string hanging from the loom? I feel the same about birthdays, no fuss please, I am not 7 years old, for God's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Rose I am perfectly happy to have my birthdays come and go without celebration. I suspect that many of us feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that Rose isn't too disappointed and understands.
    Nice to hear that your weaving is progressing well

    ReplyDelete
  11. As someone who doesn't like a fuss over my birthday either, that seems like a pretty mean thing to do to Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I don't know Rose at all, I will refrain from commenting on whether or not this is a good idea.
    Good for you for starting a new round of towels! It must be very rewarding to know that people love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cats are pretty nimble but can cause havoc on occasion. My cat liked to bat the salt and pepper shakers on the kitchen table. Salt and pepper sprinkled everywhere. The shakers had to live in a kitchen drawer, except for meal time. I hope the party for Rose goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like Rose is in for a huge surprise! I hope she enjoys her party to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope she's a good sport. It can be annoying when you don't want any fuss.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to Rose. She should be full of glee. Rose has seen and experienced things that would leave the rest of us in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll be interested to know how the party goes, and whether Rose throws a wobbly or enjoys the fuss.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday to Rose and I plan to order some towels. They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope Rose isn't angry when the party starts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too wonder if Rose will be happy with the surprise... but her daughters should know her well enough to know how she will react to the party. As for Kitty, I think cats learn fast, so she will remember the incident with the TV and not try that again. Swatting other little things for fun will continue. (Hide your chapstick!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy birthday to Rose. I feel for her. I too hate a fuss. Come back and update this post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Our puss is not much of a jumper. I think that is not a bad thing. She can get up to the window, but it is a process.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the idea of thousands of cats gathering at the edge of the world and nudging everything over the edge into the abyss...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kitty looks wonderful and seems to have reached a place she likes. I remember her early days and how important it was for her to hide.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would be enraged if I were Rose. The lack of respect is breathtaking. My request for a quiet 80 year birthday was honoured. The older I get the hard it is for me to place nice with crowds.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know I commented on this but not seeing it. I hope Rose wasn't upset but happily surprised that her family wanted to do something for her.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would wish Rose a happy birthday but she doesn't want a fuss so don't tell her I said anything. Looking forward to the update on how she takes the surprise. I imagine it isn't going to go over so well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, kitty! I'm glad both cat and TV were spared harm. Our Marcel is fond of trying to climb the book shelf. He usually is able to knock down a few books and such in the process. If anything sort of toy-sized hits the floor, he is on it. :D

    ReplyDelete