Sunday, December 17, 2023

A lovely sight!

I longed to finish that dratted towel warp this weekend. I wove whenever I could last week, and spent most of today weaving. Yesterday saw a couple of hours in the morning, before my daughter Shelly came for lunch and with  a project of her own.

She had a tote of quilt squares sewn on paper and the paper needed torn off. These are the very same squares I used to sew for Jan and she would turn into little quilts for children in need. Shelly and I tore off all the paper backings of her stash of squares.

The gist of this story is, now she has Shelly sewing single bed tops and Jan is donating them to a group called Good Knights. This group's mission is to give a bed to children who do not have a bed.

And there are thousands of children here in Northeastern Ohio, who sleep on the floor for want of a bed. The single bed quilt tops Jan is making now go to this project. A bed and a quilt.

I smiled, remembering all the bags of scraps left behind my sewing chair by Jan's quilting customers. I asked Shelly if the quilting customers were still leaving bags of scraps at Jan's studio, and the answer is Yes. She probably will never run out of material for quilts.

But I digress. I really hoped to reach the end of the warp today. I wove an entire tube of the blue, but didn't trust the warp to last for one more tube of blue, so I went to my usual end of warp ploy, cream towels.


And I wove and wove and wove all day today. I did not take off the blue towels because that would involve tying the warp back to the front beam, and wasting many inches. I just kept weaving the cream.

Every time I looked at the back beam, there were still a couple of turns of warp left. Until suddenly one section had just one turn left! It was that wonderful event that happens to weavers on occasion. One bout is short!


The length of towels is still on the beam. I am too tired to take them off and secure the ends. A job for tomorrow afternoon. As soon as they are finished into towels, they will go on the web site and that will be the end of towels.

My next project is much more complex. I can weave a 36" width of fabric on this loom, and that will be my next undertaking. It won't be plain fabric; the surface will be a textured pattern very like the leaves of the Hosta plant named August lily.

This is what is called an overshot pattern. Every row is separated by a row of plain weave, the over and under of potholder weaving. I'll use the rest of the towel colors. I'm looking forward to this, but it will be some time in coming. There will be 18 bouts to wind on and then thread through the heddles!
 

30 comments:

  1. That is a very different project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief that looks complicated. Your spatial relations are better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last of the towels is the real end of an era, but your next project sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your weaving is always so pretty and I love the projects for the kids in need!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new weaving project sounds interesting with a complex pattern. Shelly and Jan are doing good work helping kids in need. No child should be without a bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Ah, so the weaving will continue - good to hear! The pattern looks fab - if daunting to this uninformed eye. The quilting project sounds truly wonderful. More power to those involved! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a young nurse, I lived next door to a woman who was a weaver. I never had the courage to talk to her about it, but it's always interested me.

    The quilts sound wonderful and what a kind thing for your daughter to do. What's so sad, is that there are so many children without beds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your towels but am excited for your new endeavor. You are admirably ambitious--much more so than I am! That bed project is needed and helpful. I admire your daughter very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a truly excellent project. I wish we lived closer. I have two twin beds that I could donate. Your new pattern will be wonderful. What colors are you going to do it in?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the bed project and am totally intrigued by your new one. Not surprised you are too tired to take the towels off and secure the ends today though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Good Knights are doing a very good thing. The new weaving pattern looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joanne, I haven't been able to get on the computer with all the termite craziness at our house and now I have catch-up to do with holiday stuff. Sigh... I'm so amazed at your energy level. You get so much done! Your weaving is so beautiful. You are truly gifted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is something seriously wrong with a society that has billionaires with more money than an average person can even comprehend, and children sleeping on the floor. I am truly going to puke the next time I hear some politician babble on about “the greatest country in the world.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow it always falls back on ordinary citizens to tidy up.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad to hear that your weaving is just changing form and not completely ending.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All I can say is- You are an artist, Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Actually I am an artisan. So are you.

      Delete
  16. So excited to see your new project.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so impressed by the quilting for children! I will have to look locally to see if we have a group like that as I would love to do something like that.
    Your weaving is amazing and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. save me a blue towel and a cream. I looked through my sister's dish towels thinking I would rehome the one of yours I gave her but couldn't find it so she either had it stashed somewhere or a daughter or granddaughter already snagged it up. what a wonderful project Jan and Shelly are involved in. but why were the quilt squares stitched onto paper?

    ReplyDelete
  19. "why were the quilt squares stitched onto paper?" I was wondering that also...

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are amazing to do what you do, and Go Shelly Go.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The overshot pattern is wonderful. And Good Knights sounds like a much-needed organisation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the bed projects, a brilliant idea and so good for the kids to feel someone cared. I saw something similar here for the unhomed when bunkhouses were built and quilts donated which they could keep. Heartwarming in so very many ways. You new design is awesome.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  23. You can do a very nice designs for the new clothes. It is beautiful to know how to do It. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck with the bed projects. We are lucky to have you, Joanne. Take care of yourself and have a Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete