Sunday, September 3, 2023

One year

I've been here a year. Hard to believe, in a way. It's time for a retrospective, a review, an attempt to improve the future.

What have I done? I've ploughed through some daunting obstacles. I've faithfully attended improvement classes that have been instrumental in overcoming the obstacles. I've made a decision about weaving. I sold my car. I saw Shelly get her degree; master of science in nursing, making her a nurse practitioner. I've become a friend to my grandson, Blake. And, I rescued a cat.

Obstacles: several falls and a pacemaker. I hate falling. I don't trip on rugs, which I don't have. I don't stumble. I just don't know. The last fall was a month ago. I had my laundry in the wheelie cart, in the laundry room. I was repositioning the cart, it caught my foot, and back I went. Another time on my back. I pushed my button and waited. Nothing.

Eventually I got on my butt, scooted to the door, used a chair and the door handle to get upright. I took inventory, and except a very sore noggin, nothing. So, I did my laundry. The next day I reported the incident to a supervisor. She had me push my button and showed me, real time, that I did not register. Dead battery.

Why am I the test canary? The guinea pig who pushes the right buttons, or not? The good news is, they surveyed the building and discovered more than a few dead batteries. Battery replacement has been backed up one month.

The pacemaker was a total surprise. I went to a regular doctor appointment. I was happy to keep the appointment; my legs kept swelling from excess water, and the condition had extended to my left arm. The doctor sent me to the emergency room for an evaluation. They sent me to the hospital, in potential cardiac arrest, in an ambulance. 

I arrived pretty late in the evening. The next day was evaluation, and a recommended pacemaker scheduled for the next day. When I woke from the surgery, the placing doctor was there, apologizing for poking a hole in the membrane around my lungs. I was just too skinny, he explained. Anyway, that was another surgery and four more days on my back.

When I was recovered from the hole in my chest, the hospital offered me a couple more days in the hospital to recover more. I knew I would be stuck several more times to reset their damn IV line, and I decided to go home. So, Jan and Tom drove me home and deposited me in my room. When they left, I was in too much pain to move. No one could come help me.

Eventually I hit on Blake and over he came. Got me into a nightgown and into bed. Came in the morning to take care of the cat. I decided I needed to switch to Assisted Living, so I got that done. A big mistake, but that's another story.

In AL, I immediately caught the lurgy going around. So sick. I was in bed and immobile for several days. I missed my birthday. I recovered slowly, first in a chair, then up and shuffle to meals. I stayed another week in AL, then back to my room, my cat, my routine in Independent Living.

This gets me from September to mid April, and the end of the big trauma. As you may know, Laura is going to Greece for a semester, then Australia for a semester, with a couple months in between to bum around Europe. She came to say good-bye for awhile; she leaves Wednesday. She's looking over my shoulder as I type, and has OK'd a new picture to go with. I'll go on and on later.



32 comments:

  1. An eventful year. Increasingly I am thinking that the purportedly Chinese curse 'may you live in interesting times' is a particularly vicious one. I hope Laura has a wonderful time with her studies - and love that smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's looking very pleased with life. And you are such a survivor! It takes a lot to stop you. You didn't mention your advanced Bingo expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy about Laura, especially because I recall some difficult times for her in the past. Also happy about the master's in nursing for Shelly. I am not happy that you were the dead battery guinea pig and I am not happy that no one was checking on you when you were in such pain, although I'm grateful Blake came to the rescue. As always, I wish I were there to care for you myself.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being connected to a drip or monitor is one of the most annoying things in hospital, especially for a wriggler like me. Last year I pulled out an arterial line and woke up in a pool of blood. They looked really worried by it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a year! It appears that things are on the upswing for you, and I hope you stay on that trajectory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're hanging in there, and that's great about Laura...I know the year we spent in Germany made a huge difference for her. She's now in the Henry Jackson School of international studies at UW, and plans to move back to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have had an EVENTFUL year with a big learning curve on some things, but it seems like everything more or less worked out in the end. I hope your second year there is better and has less drama! It seems to me that the most important thing this year has been MISS KITTY, amirite, lol?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes for Laura...she'll have a great experience. As to you...you certainly are the canary in the mine when it comes to troubleshooting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A hard year yet also filled with good things. I guess that's many (most?) years? I'm glad you're settled in with Kitty in your own comfortable place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time certainly flies! I hope the next year passes with less drama.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite a year, Joanne. I hope the next has less medical adventures!

    Good luck to Laura in her adventures for the next year! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been riding the wave for a year. Let's hope year #2 is less of a roller coaster. You are a strong woman and did very well dealing with each incident. For that, you can be proud. Laura looks terrific and I hope she enjoys her travels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hari OM
    ... so... that's the settling in bit done then... 😬... seriously, though, I can't help but think what might have happened with all that falling down if you were still on the park. While not perfect, at least at the home there is still someone within cooee... and I am so glad to read that Blake and you are properly friends now; and so excited for Laura!!! Here's to the second set of twelve... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admire you for getting through so much hard stuff, quite an amazing amount of things, including your pacemaker and many decisions you made. Let's look for joy today and in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like that pic of Laura... and good year's review, Joanne (not that it was all good). But your Kitty was a highlight and (IMO) independent Living is the way to go if you can handle it (and I think you can).

    ReplyDelete
  16. It has been an eventful year for sure. Laura looks great, but what are the blue beads on the teeth and why? Wouldn't they interfere with eating?

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is an indomitable force within you Joanne which keeps you going through thick and thin. A retrospective year that teaches us a lot as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We've had a bit of a miserable time here, but you have had it 'miserable-er'.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely picture of a very happy-looking Laura.
    I am rather prone to falling - we do our best to keep upright and then trip up or grab hold of something to stop us falling and it moves. I tripped over a rug in my sitting room and broke a hip several years ago. It was 'mended' next day in hospital and I must say I have never felt the slightest twinge in it since. All my rugs were taken away by my son while I was in hospital. I miss them as two in particular I had bought abroad but safety first at our age.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you have a boring year coming up! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with DrumMajor, you are due a boring and uneventful year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have I missed something? What decision did you make about weaving?
    Joanne- that was a hell of a year. You survived through sheer will, your iron spirit, and your determination. And, I suppose- some modern medicine! I am wishing you times of contentment and wellbeing, good health, and peace. And yes- keep going to those classes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Goodness, you have had an amazing year and you've come out strong so good for you, Joanne I'm happy for Laura - sounds like a wonderful adventure for her!

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, a year already. lots has happened in that year and you have prevailed and overcome. you're one of my role models. nice to see Laura and she has an exciting year ahead of her but I just do not get the whole nose ring through the septum. my grandgirl Autumn has one too. of all the places to put a piercing and jewelry, that is the last place I would choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She and I agreed that at least you have only an invisible hole when it is gone.

      Delete
  25. I am still in awe of everything you have endured. Laura looks so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You packed a whole pile in there dear Joanne, a fainter heart would have just curled up and died, but no you persisted. And at least today life is bearable and there are so many who love and care for you.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Joanne, such a lot that has happened in only one year! I am interested to hear why you think the decision to go where you are now is a fault (though of course I have a few hints). You are very tough, with energy and spirit. I adore that! Britta

    ReplyDelete
  28. At least you made the decision about AL - it wasn't forced on you by someone you love. There is a 'curve' that follows every life changing decision. Different isn't always all better, and better where it has to count doesn't always mean good where it matters. At least you have kitty, and family around.

    ReplyDelete