Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Two surprises!

Hard to believe in surprises any more. How can something happen that has never happened before? In short, what is new? Nothing. Nothing new under the sun, I told people in my booth as I admired the clever cut of their clothing or some sewing technique I did not know.

Surprises can be sabotaged. They can be short circuited! That latter I perpetrated on myself. You remember my grandmother's vase that has survived since the turn of the century before last? That is, until Kitty lost her grip on something and took down the vase, too.


I was loath to repair it. As neat a seam as I made, it still would be a glue job on a vase I had guarded for so many years. I decided I would be the person who put it in the trash, relieveing my heirs of all future responsibility.

And then the genii who comments suggested kintsugi. 

Genius. I put the money on the next outgoing email and by return:


Following instructions for formulation of glue and gold and assembly, I made a helluva mess. Fortunately, something removes gorilla glue. I think it was WD40. I thought around for steady hands, and came up with my sister at once!  I gave it to her, glued together, and then forgotaboutit. 

Looking back, I see that was more than a month ago. On a phone call recently the vase flashed back and I asked if she was going to be able to get around to the project, or was just going to return it. That happens, too, in our long history, and is perfectly OK. And this time she said she had finished the project and would return it in a couple of days!


Is that not stunning! I see I should get in with a Q-tip and WD40 and clean up the rest of my initial mess up. Some day.

So, back to the day I outed the vase, Jan had called to tell me of an unbelievable occurrence. Some of you have been hanging around with me since the beginning of time. Our mother had left the earth, or joined it, as the case may be, when I started the blog.

Our mother was the first quilter we knew. It was her passion. If the frames weren't up in the living room, its because the next quilt was still in process. Perhaps you remember the little lost quilt adventure, Mom's childhood tulip quilt. As an adult it was a quilt she no longer could account for. It meant so much to her she decided to recreate it, from memory, and nearly nailed it. 

Check it out on the site that Jan still maintains, about quilts. www.Ewetree.com. Look under the tab Mom's quilts and look at her childhood quilt and the recreated quilt. We found that lost quilt when Aunt Flo surrendered a trunk of quilts that were under Grandma Rolf's bed. She also confessed selling one to someone who begged her for it and offered her $250. 'Nuff said.

Jan came home from work one day to a box in the living room. It was from our cousin, Ken, and contained a Cathedral Window quilt. It was the quilt we'd wondered about. Mom had showed us her box of Cathedral Window squares completed. It was a quilt she never expected to complete. Yet when we went through her stuff at the end, we didn't find either the box of squares, or a completed quilt. It remained a mystery until Jan opened that box from Ken.

There was a note from Ken. The quilt had been a wedding gift to Ken and his wife, Jan. But they had no further need for it and were returning it. As strange as that sounds (and how very like Ken and Jan), it's probably not unusual to return such a unique gift to its maker at the end of its current life.


Mom embroidered her name and birthday on the back, Ohio, where the quilt was made, and dates in 1970 and 1987, indicating when she began and when she finished the quilt. I can date some fabrics back to the forties (a pair of my childhood shorts). Some probably are older, from her ongoing scrap bag. So Jan can add it to the collection above. I wonder if there are more missing quilts.


29 comments:

  1. What am amazing post! Your sister did a such a good job beautifying that vase while repairing it.
    And now- to have that quilt back- your heart must be so very, very happy.
    All of this says "love of family" to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh happy day! That is good news, Joanne. Your mother sure had a wonderful talent for quilting. Those are fabulous! No wonder you are so handy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this mornings huge smiles. Happy surprises indeed. Has Kitty forgiven you after her trip to the vet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. Maybe I'll write a big post about her soon.

      Delete
  4. This blog entry moved me greatly
    Something new out of something broken
    And it’s beautiful
    Thank u x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now these are surprises I'd never had guessed. Treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful to see the long lost quilt returned and the vase fixed! Family treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to see the BEAUTIFUL gold repaired vase—you and your sister have added *more* beauty and meaning to your grandmother’s vase!!!
    Precious.
    I am touched by the love and care.
    And the quilt! Wow—what another amazing surprise! Like time travel (your old shorts return😆). What bounty—does it seem like the ancestors are sort of touching you? Or their memories are…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion. I knew of such repairs, but never thought of it. It's another culture away.

      Delete
  8. I am so happy that the cathedral quilt returned home. It's such a beautiful piece of needle work. The vase looks good! That was a nice repair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is gorgeous...and amazing that you received it. Your sister did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The repaired vase, your mother's quilt: two very beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both the Kintsugi repair on the jug and the Cathedral quilt are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The vase and the quilt are both so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The lost have come home. Lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cathedral window quilt. I've made a couple of quilts, but never learned the cathedral window technique. It must be my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hari OM
    Oh my word, Joanne... I too am greatly moved by your post today; the beauty of both these items and the Love that inspired the care within them... speechless. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. My wife is a quilter and she thought the return of the quilt to its origins was quite appropriate, and heart-warming too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. kintsugi looks brilliant. I must tell wife and daughter about it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The vase has been kintsugi-d beautifully.
    The quilting is stunning....that is some work

    ReplyDelete
  19. That vase repair looks fabulous, and your family quilt history is lovely. That 'found' one is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The vase looks wonderful! I am in awe of that quilt; I've never seen one like it before. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So nice that the quilt was returned after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So much good luck, Joanne! The quilt is adorable, and it is very kind of Ken to give it back to you.
    And the vase looks stunning - really true that a few scars, when filled with gold, can make something even prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful quilt and I like the repair on the vase. I thing the dents and wear on treasured family heirlooms make them even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that renewed vase and that cathedral quilt and the good fortune smiling on you story of it all.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete