Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Early to bed, early to rise, blablablablablabla

Unless I have a damn good reason, I get up at eight in the morning. But since I've had the impending move on my mind, if (when!) I wake earlier, I think "Why not?", and get up and face the day. I'm afraid this could become a habit, and one thing this move will have me doing is getting up with the birds. I remember I used to wake with the birds at 61. The crows! Oh, those crows!

I really have little to talk about. Or, a lot. I listened to an NPR show recently, a round table of NE Ohio leaders, discussing what we are going to do to accommodate the coming influx of immigrants from other parts of the country. My first thought, as I began listening, was "where the hell are they coming from? Africa? Asia? Eastern Europe?"

The answer is No, they are coming from our West, South, Midwest. They are leaving heat, fires, coastal erosion, hurricanes, water shortages. But NE Ohio? Come on! We have lost population annually since the decline of unionized manufacturing, in the fifties.

It was a good listen, however. They discussed our infrastructure, our housing stock, our people, our power grid, our water, our ability to improve and increase what we do have to offer. Ann happened to call that afternoon, and I told her about the influx of population apparently set to happen. And she said I'd better believe it; it's happening all over Wisconsin!

She has several new kennel customers who are transplants from California, Washington, Arizona. Their biggest adjustment was the cold. The consensus was, "back home" they would have hunkered down behind closed doors to wait for spring. "But these people! They go out in it! Put on a lot of clothes and a hat and gloves and ski. Sled ride. Hike."

So that's something to look forward to, a lot of new people to meet.

Back when Beth was doing the Flea with me, she told me about a new recipe, Zucchinibutter Spaghetti. The first word is Zucchinibutter. She said the zucchini becomes the butter. I finally made it, earlier this week, and texted her, the only thing better than Zucchinibutter Spaghetti is ZBS the second night. Recipe follows.

My house is turning into a cardboard box. I got up this morning at seven, and was packing shortly.


Cathy brings boxes most every day; these are all that I have left. I should come out even.

Not this weekend, but next, I should be out disassembling my plants. With apologies.


I love how the mandevilla twine around their pole, and I hope they forgive me next year.

And with no further ado, Zucchinibutter Spaghetti. You won't be sorry. 

33 comments:

  1. I do feel pleased with myself if I get up before 7 instead of after 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes, another 10 years and the migration will really begin as the planet gets hotter and hotter. I don't know what we'll do but I have no doubt nothing will be done to try and mitigate human contribution. besides, I read recently that the heat we are experiencing now is from all the carbon we put in the air decades ago. we doomed. I guess us old folks down here will just cook like the frog slowly heating up in the saucepan and not knowing it's cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love zucchini and would love that recipe. I don't think any place is safe from this--bigger and more destructive storms, wild fires, extremes of cold and heat. I used to get up at 8, now it's more like 6 when Grandson does. I hate to miss out on any time with him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That mandevilla vine is so pretty!

    I've gotten into the habit of getting up at 6am even though I don't have to be at work until 8:30. That extra time in the morning has been really nice and helps me get a grip on what's in front of me for the day. Early to bed is a necessity, though. I don't do well on less than 7 or 8 hours' sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had had that recipe when in France. ...they multiplied so fast that it was a rel challenge to keep up with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see some immigration here from the burning provinces. Our summers are definitely humid and hotter here now, unheard of before.

    I think it will be a good thing but the big BUT is we are heading over the cliff and it's only temporary.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Generally I am up by 6 AM. I do like the morning air and after breakfast take the dog outside for a walk. I have also heard because employers support employees working from home, people can live wherever they want to live. When new people move in there is a culture shift and some things change. Change can be invigorating. Meeting new people is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hari OM
    Oh yes, minus the garlic, I'll be making ZBS!!! I go to bed when I go to bed and I rise when I rise. That might be early, middle or late. Unless someone's here. Then I'm early on both counts! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm almost surprised there have not been more people moving to new areas considering the number of natural disasters that keep repeating every year in some areas!

    Good luck with the packing and try not to overdo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My waking time varies, but I don't sleep well in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you greeting the morning head on when there's a lot to do. I lived in cold places all my life until I landed in Florida. It would be very difficult to return to the cold now.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting about the eco migration to your area. We have been swamped with eco survivors - I am ready to move back to Wyoming because no one in their right mind would live there! Wish i could help you pack and sort and carry, moving is challenging at best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your life is never simple. The boxes bring back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you need more boxes, just order some small stuff from Amazon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been buying boxes like crazy and posted on Tehachapi Ask (a local FB group) asking for boxes. I'm right there with you--cannot wait to get the move behind me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Zucchinibutter spaghetti sounds great.
    I've decided that if I ever move again (ha ha) I will hire one of those packing companies to come in and pack everything in one day, (on the day before I move), then I will spend a night in a hotel and go back in time to greet the moving truck the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sadly I am getting up earlier and earlier. Some hours before dawn is the rule now.
    Thanks for the zucchinibutter recipe. It sounds GOOD, and when I can get to the shops again (we have just entered lockdown) I will buy some zucchini and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Climate migrants are going to become the new norm, Joanne. Worldwide too, not just from one part of a country to another.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't even know what to say about people moving to Ohio. Or Wisconsin. All of my life I've been around people who moved to Florida to escape the cold. Of course then they get hit with heat and hurricanes and pythons and alligators. I think David is right- we are going to be seeing many, many climate migrants all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Recipe sounds delicious. Must try it when I get back home. (I only have a microwave here on my trip). BTW, I was up at the unearthly hour of 5.30 today, desperate to use the "facilities" across the way! It was freezing cold.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The zucchini spaghetti looks to me something very good. I will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks delicious. And sounds delicious. I guess i will have to try it to see if it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I live on the west coast of Canada and people here are also moving to other parts of the province and the nation hoping to get away from the high cost of housing and the high cost of living. Sometimes I wonder if I can remain here myself or if I want to. The thing that keeps me here is better health care access. I wish you well with the move. It can be a busy and stressful time but you are a good organizer so I'm sure it will go as well as can be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting that there are now lots of people migrating from the west coast to areas less liable to extreme weather. I kind of suspected that must be happening but there's nothing in the UK media about it. Maximum temperature in Belfast this week is a very comfortable 18C.

    I hope the move is progressing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting population shift. I don't think Illinois is gaining any people. I hear of people moving to Tennessee often.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so far behind in my post-reading that I didn't realize you were moving! After some catch-up, it sounds like a great idea. Moving is a pain. I am very glad that you will have a studio.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Getting up at 8 sounds wonderful late to me, Joanne. The lasts years I wake up between 4:30 and if I am lucky : 6 o'clock... but get my sleep, as here in Bavaria life isn't THAT busy at night :-) , so: early to bed.
    Good luck with packing and with your beautiful Mandeville .

    ReplyDelete
  28. We recently drove through NE Ohio. Lots of road work! Even the detours had detours and the signs were confusing. However, we made it to Knox County in one piece1

    ReplyDelete
  29. I WISH I could sleep that late. I keep waking up at about 5:30. Wow! Immigrants from the west coast? That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I will be joining you and getting up with the birds this week. I need to take Kyle to school so we have to wake up at 6 to get our day going. We are also getting a lot of new folks in our area. Lots of growing pains and COVID hasn't made it much better. Looking forward to trying out this Zucchinibutter Spaghetti recipe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hope all goes smoothly with your move. I'm considering becoming a climate refugee myself.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good luck with all of this. Moving is darn stressful and tiring though it sounds like you have things well in hand.

    ReplyDelete