Thursday, January 28, 2021

Getting out of the woods (the story of today and it's only three)(a lot of illustrations)

 I woke to several inches of snow. Being a worry wart with an appointment tomorrow for my first vaccination, plus it's trash day, first thing after breakfast I gathered my trash and went after my snow.


I cleared all the way to the street, clear shot for Larry with the trash cans. Of course, that was ten this morning. I've cleared one more time, and it will stop snowing by ten tonight, so I believe I can do it all over again tomorrow and be in line for a shot at two in the afternoon.


Back in the house, I straightened up my table to take a picture for Debbie. The table came from my weaver friend Linda. It has another leaf, opposite side, that is not extended. The other side also has a drawer. The legs are chrome, the top is enamel.

I've asked Linda to write a little of its history; all I know is the table went with her to the U of Rochester for her nursing degree. People have admired the table and even made offers for it. But, when I'm through, it goes back to Linda or her daughter Cara.


The amaryllis is beginning to suffer from leaning, the stalks are so tall. I've turned it every day; it follows the sun, exaggerating its lean. Today I could not stabilize the plant, so I wedged it into the pot Laura and I bought yesterday, and went looking for a stake and a tie.


When I returned, disaster. A sad end to a lovely story. But, it did have a good month. I cleared off the table, to have lots of room to effect the move to the new pot.


The bulb was enormous, to my novice eye. It filled the entire pot; there was almost no dirt. The only soil I have on hand is either the ant infested bag in the shed, or the stuff for orchids, which isn't exactly "dirt". I put it in the bottom, to elevate the bulb to its original height, then filled in around the bulb with the miniscule amount of dirt in the old pot, plus orchid wood chips.


So far so good, I guess. Now to clean the rest of the mess. I sorted all my stones into a bowl and cleaned the table top and the ironstone platter.


Laura put the stones back last time, one at a time. She knew exactly what to do to make a rock garden. I haven't a clue. I anchored the front corners with Russia and England, but the rest is hit and miss.


The next time Laura comes to visit, her first job will be setting the stones to rights. For my part, I've read I should continue with water and fertilizer as long as the leaves grow. I probably also should turn the pot often to attempt to keep the leaves straight.

When the leaves fall over I should cut them off and allow the plant to go dormant, which means putting it on the back of a shelf in a dark closet. When tiny green sprouts poke up, the whole blooming game begins again.

34 comments:

  1. Mine has finaly given up the ghost today too. I have always thrown them on the compost but this year's has been such a beauty that i shall try to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being from a warm area (beyond warm!), we plant them outside when they finish blooming. My mother had a whole side yard of them! I hope all goes well in obtaining your vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The amaryllis was beautiful. It looks like you've kept very busy today between shoveling snow and repotting your plant. All the best tomorrow with your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are gifted with plants. I have no clue how to do anything with indoor plants or bulbs. I planted tulips in my flower beds but they do their own thing without me. Lots of snow! My Cincinnati daughter sent me photos of it at their place. Not as much, I think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your amaryllis was absolutely the best speciman I've ever seen. Amazing to have so many flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Have never done this with amaryllis, but when we are at school, it was all the rage to do this with hyacinth bulbs. I had one for five years! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. winters and snow and ice were the reasons my parents moved to south Texas. They never missed winter, at all! Too much work! Good luck getting where ever it is you must get to for your vaccine, glad to hear! I, too, would make a hefty offer for that table, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oregon is getting national recognition for being way behind on the vaccinations. I have put us both on the waiting list, but not expecting anything to happen soon. I have never had much luck getting my amaryllis to re-bloom, they usually end up with the poinsettia in the compost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bulb felt a little hollow. No reason for me not to give it every chance, though.

      Delete
  9. You're kept busy with your snow , plants and vaccinations. But we need something to be busy at.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you had more of a clue how to repot that amaryllis bulb than I would have, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It had a very good run - and in your care has an excellent future too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Might I suggest putting a stake in the pot before one becomes necessary? I'm sad the flowers fell over, but they were beautiful while they lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've done well with your beautiful amaryllis and it looks to me like it's not done yet. I hope you do not have any problems getting out for your vaccination tomorrow. I am so glad you are able to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've loved following your rescued amaryllis's story, and so sorry it collapsed while you were looking for some support for it. After that number of flowers I'm not surprised it felt hollow. Good luck with it for the next season.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sure seem to know what you are doing with that plant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a lot of shovelling, Joanne. You will have a whole new tone to your muscles. And the plant looks great, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have done a wonderful job with the Amaryllis and with your care, I expect it to bloom beautifully next December.

    Well, today is your big day, congratulations! I hope all goes well and you don’t have a long wait. I got mine last Friday night (hate driving at night) and my only reaction was a sore arm the next day. It was gone in 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We get our second shot next Thursday. I think I should feel more excited about this than I do. I'm still not going anywhere.
    That table is a real jewel. The sort of thing that makes a house a home. And it's practical in all regards.
    Be careful in that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is exactly how we kept the same plants for years. Such a simple way to get winter beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh I felt quite teary seeing this Joanne. It was so magnificent but a fine gift for a month. I'm putting my gorgeous crocus to sleep in a dark space now for a while. I'm drying out the bulbs beforehand.

    I love your table, so very unusual.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like you have all under control with bulb growing. I love your table.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh no! I hope you put the top halves of the broken stalks in water. the buds might open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never occurred to me; I tucked its very large self in the bottom corner of the waste basket. I feel a little bad. But next year...

      Delete
  23. I love the homey details you include in your posts. I covet that table.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for telling me what to do with mine...I have three. The one next to the garage was crushed by a hose yesterday, so perhaps it needs a time of dormancy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is the perfect table that can be expanded if needed but doesn't take up much space when you don't have visitors. You know plants better than I do (most of mine are plastic)! Snow is expected in Illinois tomorrow so the snowblower is ready!
    Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hope you were able to get to your vaccination safe and sound today. I also wanted to thank you for your bookmark order. Kyle was very happy to see it when he got home from school. You are very thoughtful. Take care and have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope you don't have too much more shiveling to do to get out to your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every muscle in my body hurts, but I'm blaming it on two days of shoveling, not the injection.

      Delete
  28. It's amazing how you always give such a personal treatment to each of your plants.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope you were able to get that first shot.

    ReplyDelete