Saturday, September 14, 2019

I still know the way

The doorbell rang last night. I still was sitting at the table, empty plate to my left and coffee on the right. I'm engrossed with the book I'm currently reading, Bryon Stevenson, Just Mercy, and finished the paragraph before I went to the door.

David was there, football jersey scrunched up in his hand. Could I drive him to the game, please? I agreed, and he brought my trash cans in from the street in the time it took me to get keys, cane and sunglasses together.

David has been here in the park as long as I've been here. He showed up offering lawn mowing services way back then, and I told him I'd bought a lawn mower for Laura. He reminded me we have to weed wack the perimeter of our unit and shed, too, and he was available. I bought a weed wacker. You can't know too much.

We had a pleasant chat on the way to the high school. We were still in the park when David asked me a technical question about the car: how was the refrigerator holding up? I couldn't believe anyone who did not own a Dodge Caliber knew the glove box also was a refrigerator. I only figured it out by accident and close perusal of the owner's manual.

The young man is quite the car buff, and quizzed me exhaustively on every car I admitted to owning. In short order we pulled into the mayhem of a Friday night home game. David held up his jersey and we were waved through, to the reserved tailgate party area, also the team entrance.

Tonight I was startled by the noise of a weedwacker  around my unit. I went out, and was face to face with David and his weedwacker. I thanked him for his kindness, and asked after the game.

It was rained out. There was a substantial storm last night, and I did glance at the clock and wonder if the game was over. Then I went back to the book.





29 comments:

  1. It's nice that you have a helping hand in the area. David's probably glad to have a lift now and again as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a decent young man. That book looks interesting; I checked the blurb on GoodReads to see what it's about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A glove box doubles as a refrigerator? What an excellent idea, so handy for people who need to carry medication which must be kept cool, such as insulin. I wonder why other car manufacturers didn't copy the idea? The book looks interesting and David seems a splendid young man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very glad to see that David is a believer in mutual help.
    And intrigued by the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I may have to check this book out. I think its neat you have this friendship (or whatever it is) with David. Seems like it is beneficial for both of you!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you have help around the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are lucky to meet good people along the way and they are lucky to have you next to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weed whacker are called strimmers over here in Ireland. They're great but eye and ear protection should always be used when operating them. David sounds a bright lad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hari OM
    ...and in OZ we call them 'whipper-snippers'! Useful bit of equipment, however it is named and well done to young David for understanding the give and take of things... and to Joanne for still having the 'touch' with her juniors &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your community works well, thanks to you all, though the team's trainer might be less keen on strimmers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was just heartwarming - each of you benefiting. Good that you've found a book you can sink your teeth into as well. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only America would name a car 'Caliber' and put a fridge in the glove box.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neighbors. Good ones are everything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. how nice that David stepped up now that Laura is gone. sounds like his parents raised him right. and nice that he felt comfortable asking you for a ride to the game but where were his parents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked and he said he had a ride. Probably asked another team mate. I will ask around about his parents this week. I need to understand.

      Delete
  15. Cars have refrigerators?? Whoa! Sounds like a nice evening for all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to have a fridge section in our Japanese tin box.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had no idea there was such a thing as a glove box-cum-fridge. Could be very handy in a heatwave. And I hadn't heard of "Just Mercy". It looks very good, I must get hold of a copy.

    I have a weed wacker (what we call a string trimmer) but I haven't used it for ages. All our lawn edges can be easily trimmed with the mower.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice young man! He was not absorbed with himself and made both of you comfortable as you went to the game. Then he thanked you properly by trimming the weeds. He will go far.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What??> Cars have fridges? Wowser. Impressed. And what a nice young man, but then again, you're a very nice woman to offer him a ride.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a guy. Not always many of those around these days.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wacky post -- so to speak. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are kind for driving him. My son was always fascinated by cars. Now he's an excellent mechanic.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete