Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Cards, concerts and cold, or, normal in the Midwest

Cards yesterday, as I certainly mentioned. Only three of us; Peter took the opportunity to accompany his wife's business trip to Chicago. Today was colder in Chicago than at the South Pole. Peter's remarks next week surely will be reportable.


Setting up. That's my place, in front of the card holder Greg made for me. I don't shuffle or deal, either. My fine motor skills just drifted away.


This weather has made the usual even more apparent to me. I was very concerned about navigating this winter's weather. But a few weeks in, I find common sense and common concern master most situations.

Greg got me over the snowplow's ridge of snow at the curb and then he went out and walked in Nancy from the parking lot. I kept an appointment today, and a friend I met in the lobby walked me to my car. 

School was cancelled for today and tomorrow. Laura took advantage to continue her denim quilt. I found her laying out the colors she assembled from the jeans she cut up.


It won't even be 7x9, she sadly remarked when I looked in. We made hundreds of baby quilt tops for my sister to quilt by assembling 6" blocks in 7 blocks wide, 9 rows long.

I surrendered two pair of jeans to the cause. Size 8. If I ever regain the fifteen pounds to get back in size 8, I'll treat myself to a new pair, or two.

She cut twenty odd more blocks and thinks it will be the perfect size. She had the whole garment this time, not just legs. I'll have to see if pockets show up.

This is something I would have been doing as a teenager. No phone, and she's putting her time to good use. Just saying.

Tonight Laura is going to a "Panic! at the Disco" concert with her old high school friend, Lexi. The one who has remained non-judgmental through the "troubles".

On the way to Lexi's house I ran through some basic Arctic survival, in case of trouble. First, I sent her back for hat, scarf, gloves, hoodie to, at minimum, put in her back pack. 

If your car breaks down, get it off the road and get back in. If there is not a lighted, heated building within a hundred feet, get back in. Call for help and wait.


(Lexi's driveway). Make sure Lexi has a blanket in her car. Take the fleece blanket from the back of my car.


(My side window the entire trip). It's OK, Gramma. Lexi's mom is driving.


This week's flowers still look so nice.

36 comments:

  1. I like how Laura has laid out the various squares. The different shades of blue are very appealing. I suppose if one can't go to school, then quilting is a fine way to while away the hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so many things can get accomplished if you don't spend all that time on the phone/internet. I'm guilty of wasting time. Laura's quilt is going to be great. will she do the actual quilting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She may. Jan taught both girls how to use the Gammil long arm. Jan keeps that machine humming 52 weeks a year, and has to fit them into the schedule.

      Delete
  3. A lighter and a candle in a can will keep you warm for a time in a cold car, Joanne. It’s part of a survival kit here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pleased that Laura is continuing with some of the things you taught her. I have not been out of the house since right before the cold hit. I had enough of that when I was younger. I think I'll wait until Friday to venture out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all the different shades of blue in Laura's denim quilt -- it's going to be so beautiful when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She appears to have it all under control. It will be impressive.

    Keep warm, stay inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Laura's quilt. If she finds that she needs more denim, I think I have an old pair of jeans I can donate. We're getting down in the thirties at night. The natives think they'll die anytime we're below 60.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flowers are so pretty! Think spring when you look at them! I did hear parts of our country were colder than the South Pole. Seems so unreal (unless you are out there in it). Going to be a great quilt I think. I also think more parents/grandparents need to take the phones from their charges. Might spark some creativity back into them.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the flowers. The quilt is going to be lovely, something I'd never thought to do with old jeans. I tend to have only a couple of pairs at a time and wear them until they're so worn out even the legs are unusable. When the knees rip, I cut them for shorts. New jeans out here cost an arm and a leg.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the way Laura laid out her quilt blocks. And like your donation of two jeans you can't wear. Love your beautiful flowers and the way people are helping one another in this weather....I'm mostly staying home, or very near it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Until I started reading your blog and about quilting, I never realised the stitchery over the patchworked pieces was the actual "quilting".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for Laura still being able to function despite the loss of her phone. And yes I am being a tad snippy. I am however really, really pleased that one friend has stuck with her.
    15 pounds needed to reach size 8? I think I was born weighing more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura’s quilt is going to be very nice and she looks like she is enjoying it. Busy hands and all that.

    It is all about caution these days. I have to go to work tomorrow and I am kind of hoping that I get a call to tell me to stay home. I have to park a block away and the cold and possible icy sidewalks gives me pause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm probably too late at 8:45, but I would call from the lot and ask someone to walk in with me. If I went.

      Delete
  14. Laura's going to have a fine quilt when she is done. I've read that they're quite heavy when made from denim, but some folks prefer their quilts or blankets to be weighty anyway.

    Beautiful flowers. A splash of summer in the midst of your very cold weather. Yes, I can't wait to hear what your card buddy has to say about their trip to Chicago in the polar vortex!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have a very cold spell here too Joanne but not on your scale - especially in Chicago where it looks absolutely awful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chicago is colder than the South Pole? Good grief! It's about -1 celcius here in Belfast and we think that's terrible. We'd be pole-axed by a typical USA winter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hari Om
    I think that patchwork is going to be just fine! Stay warm - it's iced over here in tHe Bonny Land and I am in Edinburgh trying to persuade the father it's okay to go outside. Not having much success... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marie Smith's tip on keeping a candle in the car is a good one which I would not have thought of. For reasons I won't go into, I have a box of large candles in mine already, and I always carry a lighter. All I need now is to break down in -27C temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You gave good advice. We always have a blanket or three in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh gosh. I seriously can't imagine having to have that sort of survival kit just to drive to a dance.
    That quilt is going to be lovely! And you know what? Your granddaughter is going to be just fine. I know she will be.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good survival instructions there.....I would have added some candles and matches for heat, a couple of chocolate bars and a fully charged cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Even in cold it seem you and all is keeping on self busy.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so impressed by the quilt idea that I'm going to go out and buy some denim from Spotlight, our go-to shop for cheap material. I don't have any jeans to sacrifice, having only ever bought one pair in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For that lovely variation in color and texture, you might try buying old jeans at a thrift store. Probably four pair of adult sized jeans would do the job.

      Delete
  25. Joanne...love your blog and read it every day. When I was raising a teenager I was comforted by the words of Eda LeShan who was a psychologist. She said her and her daughter did not exchange a civil word from age 13 to 18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-)
      Laura and I get along. But her mother, my daughter, and I simply cannot get the hang of it. And she now is 51, and still knows it all.

      Delete
  26. Stay safe and warm. I have family in Illinois and they are not loving this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That weather sounds horrendous. In Iceland, when we were there 3 years ago in the winter, the weather seemed like some kind of a hostile animal.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely few moments to share with us. Comfortable stuff. Thank you. And you did great with the cold weather stuff...as well as parting with your size eights.
    Yes, what hand eye coordination. LOL

    ReplyDelete