Saturday, November 17, 2018

Nerve…..


Last night Laura went home with a friend and the two of them went to the school’s production of Midsummer Night’s Dream. Even at 9:30 PM, when she came home, her animated recap of the show meant she found it excellent.

My assignment was to meet her after the show and bring her home. I thought about the trip several times over the day. I had been out the day before, for a month overdue haircut.  By chance my neighbor and I realized we had planned destinations to the same real estate area for the same time, and she said she would take me. “Why didn’t you ask me?!  You’ve only been home a couple of days!!” And so forth and so on, and the company was nice and we stopped for lunch on the way home.

But the weather changed to freezing rain yesterday afternoon. I fretted a lot, and by afternoon called my sister, and she retrieved Laura. I also arranged with the neighbor who mows all summer and shovels all winter to add me to his itinerary. For fifteen dollars he will shovel and salt porch, steps, drive; and clear the car.

My neighbor is satisfied, so this winter I’ll give it a go. I think I also will add a remote starter to my car. I scraped a lot of ice last year. But this winter my nerve has deserted me, and I’ll see if windshield wipers can deal with slushy ice.


Remember that great new warp on my loom last July? In the two or three weeks between the first rehab session and shoulder surgery, I wove up a tube of pumpkin thread and most of a tube of turquoise thread. Then I had my shoulder repaired. The doctor was keen on weaving as therapy, but I effectively brought that to a halt by vaulting over the walker and back into rehab.


I came home from this rehab to three bobbins of turquoise left to weave. At half an hour a bobbin, I can honestly say, I devoted an hour and a half to weaving this week. I wound off a tube named Kiwi to my empty bobbins. It looks like a can of canned peas to me. I like that color.


Gone, too, are days of endless weaving. I am far slower than I ever remember. I'm still good, nice selvages, even beat. Then my arms stop, my hand does not release the shuttle. Done for the day. I compared it to losing nerve, but only for a second. Muscle is more like it. I'd guess those front muscles. Deltoid? I don't know. A lot were shifted.



36 comments:

  1. Slow and steady wins the race Joanne. Good to see you back at the loom though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the color of canned peas also. Your muscles are slowly getting back into the groove.

    Hiring the neighbor to perform winter chores sounds like a good deal.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari Om
    So you only get one cloth done where four or five once were; makes them all the more precious! I like the 'kiwi' too. 'Spring grass' might be another version of its name. Knowing some limits and finding alternatives... something am tackling myself! I don't have anything like the challenge you have - or the nerve!!! Your 'lost nerve' is still stronger than my full quota, I reckon. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both colors are wonderful, no matter the name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one of my favourite colours! (although I've never thought of it as canned peas). I think getting your neighbour to do the shoveling and scraping is a good use of your money! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Canned peas is the color of CA vegetation, which contributes to fires. The thread is much prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good you can do as much as you can already, Joanne. Give yourself time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really pleased (and impressed) that you can do as much as you can. Slow is not a problem. At all.
    Add me to those who like the colour - whatever it is called.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hardly ever drive and never at night or in bad weather. I think you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to read you are still able to do at least some weaving. The Kiwi colour doesn't look so nice (to me) on the bobbin, but is lovely when woven with the white as a towel. The turquoise is also very pretty. I'd be calling on neighbours to help with mowing and shovelling too, if I was injured.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you are going to have help clearing your driveway this winter. That sounds like money very well spent. I'm also glad you have a remote starter. I think you will find it a dream. Good thing you asked your sister to pick up Laura. That was a wise decision. Your weaving is as perfect as ever dear Joanne. No matter that you cannot weave quickly. The fact you can weave at all and make beautiful things is a wonderful sight to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I had eye surgery I couldn't drive for eight weeks. At first I fretted over losing control of the things I used to do that required driving. But when I gave in and let my husband get groceries and run other errands, I discovered it was glorious to have someone else do it. People WANT to help, Joanne. I'm glad you called on some of them when you found the thought of driving too stressful. You will get your nerve back when you are feeling stronger physically. You will.

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. That project on the loom is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Midsummer Nught's Dream is my favorite Shakespeare play. I can understand why Laura was so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your decisions are smart! And Jenny is right when she says that people want to help.
    I hope the winter is not too intense, though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good decisions made. I would do the same. No point in messing about. Each one is one thing less to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Kiwi tube is the exact colour of kiwifruit, once you have peeled off the outside brown, furry skin. I'm not sure whether it is a fruit readily available in the USA; maybe you know it by another name.
    Smart thinking to get the neighbour to do the snow shovelling for you this winter, Joanne.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree Alphie - couldn't think what the colour reminded me of.
    Yopur weaving is lovely Joanne - must be good exercise for you even if it is frustrating.
    I love the idea of the man who will clear drives etc. I haven't heard of anyone here doing it as a winter job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Every one and his associations, for me green reminds me of an army uniform, you make the right decisions Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You truly are an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do they actually make remote starters for cars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I believe it's an optional accessory on new cars. I just googled it. They seem to start around $50 for a kit. No possibility I'd install it myself.

      Delete
  22. Good on you for making arrangements for the winter ahead. Fifteen dollars is a small amount to pay for safety.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You amaze me, and I am so happy that you are letting others help you out. Accepting that we can’t do everything we used to do is hard, but so is falling flat on our faces. Been there. Done that. 😘Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. my youngish yoga teacher (her dad and I are the same age) has a remote starter on her car. seems silly down here but probably a good idea up there so it's warm when you get in. and good decision on hiring the neighbor to do the snow and ice thing. I love that kiwi color! and it's not a losing nerve thing but a stamina and strength thing both of which will return as long as you keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good for you for keeping on going forward the way that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wise to let others help you along while you are still recovering. Good plan to have someone take care of the snow removal this year. Maybe in time you'll be able to weave longer, one would hope!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  27. a warmed car with your remote - good idea

    ReplyDelete
  28. All those are great ideas for the coming winter. The car? See if Laura will scrape the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fifteen dollars to do all that snow-moving and clear the car sounds like a good deal. It'll save you a lot of tedious work.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Remote start is a wonderful thing. We use it a lot when it's hot to get the air conditioning going. Heat would be nice, as well. Your weaving is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  31. love that weaving. You're a star!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It definitely sounds this your ready for winter. As we Minnesotans say "it all in the planning...:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm open-mouthed in admiration that you're up and running so quickly! Though I can see why those colours are so tempting ……

    ReplyDelete