Thursday, June 1, 2017

Neighborhood News

You know that I like my house, I like my garden, I like my neighbors. 
It's a good place to live.

Here is the afternoon shadow of my water lily sculpture on the house,





and the shadows of done and gone allium on the side of the house.


You know I love this garden out front,
even to the extent of not allowing rude people to park in front of it.


Park rules allow each home to have two unit resident's cars in front, 
and additional cars must go to a common area up the street.

In short, parking is regulated, not a free for all.

The first time someone parked in front of my window, 
behind which I sew and watch the world go by, 
I called the office and the violator got a "ticket" and moved the car.

I got the park rules out of the drawer and re-read the points for each offense,
and the number of points to being evicted.

It seemed a little extreme; so I settled on my way.
Pink tickets.
My pink ticket says the parking places belong to me; 
please ask permission before you take one. Thank you.

So far I have issued one ticket.


Early this week my neighbor asked to park in front of my garden this week.


Management put drains on my side of the road first, 
"to see if they worked," according to the ready gossip.


You remember the drains.


They work!

Now they're putting drains across the street.

I have grass growing and it's time for me to look into a lawn mower.
Electric, I think.



25 comments:

  1. Shadows are fascinating and your sculpture and allium shadows work so well together. Your garden is a lovely spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did great to solve the parking issue. Glad the drains did work! I like electric over gas mowers, easy to maintain I think.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would not like it if a car, parked illegally, blocked my view. However, eviction seems a little extreme. You handled it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Your photos are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your garden! I'm wondering what the little tree is. I think you mentioned it once, but it's not coming back to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pear tree in the side yard. It has two tiny pears. Behind the bench, a Charlie Brown Japanese maple.

      Delete
  6. Picture 4 with the plant and the shadow is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving the shadow art. I can't stand people parking outside our house other than family !

    ReplyDelete
  8. The details of life, like the parking rules are important. Glad you have it sorted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved those shadows and admired your pink ticket solution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See? All it takes is you demanding your rights. Your neighbor respected the rights and asked if he/she could infringe for a short time. You respected the reason for the infringement and agreed. Peace has been achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely an electric mower. No gas can sitting around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's a good thing that parking is limited - puts a stop to those who think it is presentable to park diagonally across a front lawn. I love Japanese maples but I never think it would survive our winter. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a "double wide", which has a fair amount of frontage. The folks with single wide units can also park two cars along their frontage, but must parallel park one of them, and consume their entire frontage. Rather than acquire the skill, most pull diagonally onto their lawns. It amuses me. I don't want to look in the book.

      Delete
  13. I like your pictures pink tickets, much friendlier. Our homeowners wanted to be able to fine people for infractions, had to have 100% approval to pass, I like my neighbors, we voted no.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those shadows. Parking here is not restricted in residential areas. And there are some 'interesting and entitled' souls about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your pink ticket idea. My neighborhood has no restrictions on parking and the roads are narrow. Sometimes so many people park in the street that drivers have to turn the corner to take a different road because they can't go between the cars.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad they have parking regulations. Now, if I could just get the new neighbors to mow their lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your pink ticket solution and I like the parking regulations too. If only they could do that in regular suburbia here. My daughter had her rubbish bin ticketed because the truck couldn't get to it, the driver had to get out and move it away from parked cars. She doesn't drive and none of the cars are local, they all belong to teachers at the local school.
    Your garden is coming along well, what about a push mower instead of electric? No power, no petrol, just hand pushing. I'm assuming Laura will be doing the mowing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pink ticket is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They need more ideas like this at the negotiating tables around the world, Joanne.

    I love your shadow pictures, especially of the water lily sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks a lovely place Joanne and it is nice that you have found such a good way of fitting in and being neighbourly without standing any nonsense. Hope your health is improved.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never heard of an electric lawn mower.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A good rule, to have two parking places in front of your house! Here I will sell "Knut", my little red Fiat, because I do not use him: finding a parking place in Berlin often takes hours!

    ReplyDelete