Sunday, September 27, 2020

The real Tomato Tart recipe

 Here is the tomato tart recipe I printed out and put on the counter and followed all the places I followed. I may tell all the places I deviated, but from the sound of the narrative with the recipe, anything goes. It's quite obvious I used real tomatoes, not cherry. And I used two real tomatoes from my sister's garden and two romas from Kreigers!

The recipe is called Tomato Tart. I like this, not behind a paywall. A couple of sisters rummaged in the refrigerator and made supper. My kind of people, my kind of food. Here is their tart:


Here is what I did different. I used Monterrey Jack and swiss cheese. I quite grating the swiss after I emptied the grater the second time. Enough cheese.

They only wanted the edges of the crust brushed with the milk/egg. As I had few of the fresh spices, I pulled them from the spice bottles and beat them into the quarter cup of milk/egg. Then I dribbled the remaining milk/egg on top.


Here is mine, cut. Onions, cheese, tomato and crust! Yum! Reminded me of my old Italian teacher's definition of "pizza pie"! All the leftovers on a crust on washing day. Not the same two weeks in a row. Here is my serving, sliding into a bowl (all my plates are in the dishwasher).


I'll have a slice for supper tonight, and the rest goes in the freezer for another day. It does tic the high fat box, and it was mighty good.

My cooking resembles my knitting. As useful as it is, I seldom read a pattern through to the end before I begin. It's a character flaw. I simply assume I can solve everything. As I told the wind, "Don't blow in my face!". Family story.

It's Sunday. Time for a nap. Here's a great day for all of us.

And, I forgot to add: There is a new picture up, Where the Towels Live. I do like it. Thanks.


29 comments:

  1. You are wonderful. I have taken the pictures for you, but now I have to get them up here. I will wave this recipe at dear G. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the towel in Belize, Monkey River is such a cool place name. The tomato tart sounds wonderful. Napping is good, I just woke up a few minutes ago. After the veeeeeeery early morning ride, there is napping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the laptop logged my comment at 2:54, it's actually 11:54 here.

      Delete
  3. This combo of tart filling is definitely my cup of tea. Can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    oh my..... I shouldn't be drooling this much just before bedtime!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I can't follow a recipe to save my life. I just can't help but experiment. Sometimes it works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious! Every time I get a recipe I end up changing part of it. I just can't help it. I hope your nap was good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! You can go wrong with tomato and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a nice Sunday afternoon nap!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like tomatoes so I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to remember this for when our tomatoes are better. At the moment the only ones available are virtually tasteless.
    Love the additions to your Where the Towels Are page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would enjoy it since I love all those ingredients. I modify recipes too since there are some cheeses I prefer over others. I wish I could nap! I've never been able to without losing the whole day. (I wake up disoriented and nauseous)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does look yummy. I'm the kind of person who reads a recipe all the way through, then makes substitutes for any ingredients I don't like.
    With knitting, I'll read the instructions and then ask someone else to do the actual knitting part.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was about to comment that I have always been fond of a good tart, but that might get misinterpreted, so I had better not say that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading through the complete recipe is also a problem for me also. Mostly, it turns out OK. Your tart looks wonderful, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seeing yourself so clearly is refreshing, and inspiring. I like the dribble milk,egg and spices mix. You aren't alone with recipes and instructions. First and only crochet project by instructions that I made turned out to be a placemat instead of a baby's afghan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I CAN follow a recipe and sometimes do but I just can't follow a crochet pattern. I don't have the focus. Never have. This is why I crochet potholders instead of beautiful works of art.
    Speaking of works of art- that tomato tart is definitely one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll have to add this one to my every now and then cooking schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I may read through the recipe but go ahead and add and/or omit ingredients. The tart sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks delicious. Kitchen sink pizza.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, indeed! I love tomatoes in any and all forms.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That tomato tart looks delicious. Monterey Jack isn't common over here. I don't think I've ever tasted it. Is it a bit like cheddar?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Printed out the recipe for Bob. I guess "Cook's Country" had something similar so we will be fiddling around with a combination of both recipes. CC used regular tomatoes and drained them first.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Must be meant for me, since I just plucked seven ripe tomatoes from the vines! Enough cheese and HeWho will eat anything. I have started using extra sharp cheddar. I can use less and still get a lot of flavor for his cardiac diet.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The tomato tart looks pretty darn good, Joanne. Nicely done. Hope you had a fantastic nap. I have learned to appreciate napping a lot more especially after having kids.

    ReplyDelete