Saturday, August 8, 2020

Nostalgia

 My sister stopped this morning. She is the sort who is up at dawn's early light. She was on a return trip from an orchard in Hiram. I was getting out of the shower.


I think one of those tomatoes will make my chili mac a tad more chili. Take that, mac. For lunch tomorrow, and the next day, tomato sammies. The quite pink peaches will explode in my mouth, and the other three will be crostata.

Jan and I are our end of the family. My children and grandchildren. are not far flung in location, but they are in interest. She's almost eleven years younger, so when I'm gone, it's on her.

I was updating the towels for sale page today, and told myself I'm out of Good Ideas right now. I gave that page a rest and reopened the Characters page. I'll work on if for awhile, just in case someone is interested.

Why was I taking a shower so early in the morning? Because I am going to church tomorrow. I do miss those folks. But then I'm nipping straight out and taking Cathy down to Boston Park at Riverview and Main.

If you've followed this blog for a bit of time, you'll remember I was my township clerk for thirteen years. And, I've lived in this township since 1988, so, a bit of history.

Over all this time, I've watched the Cuyahoga Valley National Park nibble away acre after taxable acre of the township, until it's down to a thousand or fewer citizens to fund the emergency services and police who respond to every distress call and accident in the park.

The Boston Park was a project of mine; it was an undocumented bit of history. I interviewed the citizens, read the documents, wrote the story. And so it was, until a life estate expired and the National Park could take control of The People's Park.

I need more pictures for the township web site. Cathy is wingman.

That was some digression. Back to church. The service is an hour earlier, nine in the morning. I must be up earlier than eight. Say seven. I can face the shower at seven, but that cannot include washing my hair.

Tomorrow afternoon, after the tomato sandwich, I will work on my own little page of history. And work on the current basket of bobbins, denim. Or is this jeans?


This beetle was napping on a zinnia leaf today. It's rather orange, as in red and yellow make orange. Who knows if red and yellow ladybirds are starting a sub species.


30 comments:

  1. On my screen that's a very pink ladybug indeed though the tomatoes and peaches look just the right colour and very edible. And I expect they smell wonderful.
    Enjoy tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate to you on sisters. My one and only is nearly 14 years younger than me, we are the tops and tails of a family of six.

    You have a lot invested in your town. Good on you for keeping its history front and centre.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari ON
    What a lovely ramble you gave us today - I hope you are moving through your day now achieving the things mentioned, at least in part and working towards the whole! I love a tomato sammie...YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so busy. And that fruit looks wonderful. Nothing like fresh from the tree.

    I have one remaining sibling, the other seven gone. She's nine years older than me, even, in her tenth decade! Living alone, doing fine. As she says, vertical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's weird being the end of the line. When I'm gone, there will be no one with any interest what so ever in old photos. I guess the people who clear houses will dumpster it all. There isn't much, most of it left in the purge of 2007.
    It doesn't seem right the the local citizens should pay for emergency services for a national park. What are the rangers doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rangers are not EMT and fire trained. Our EMT's are rapid water rescue and rock climbing rescue. And, Rangers are not police. Rangers aren't even first responders. Anyway, the park service only pays rangers, not fire, rescue and police.
      The park service changed all our township roads from 45 to 35, because they could. Now a speeding ticket on a township road through the park, issued by a ranger, is a federal offense. It is my object in life to acquire a federal offense before they take my car away.

      Delete
  6. I am the youngest - and there is quite a gap between me and my siblings. When I am gone I suspect none of the following generations will have any interest. Gone and quickly forgotten I suspect. Which is fine.
    I admire your commitment to your town.
    And hope that church is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of my family is gone, except my sister, from whom I've been semi-estranged for years. She now has Parkinsons and is many states away, and last year I would call every month or so but she and her husband (who had a stroke years ago) said I didn't need to keep checking in. So there it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am one of four and we are all very close. They are my oldest friends. I know I am blessed but I do worry about them, especially during this time.

    That you contributed to the good of your town is terrific, Joanne. Kudos to you.

    Enjoy the peaches and tomatoes; they look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if it's the time of year or the pandemic, but I'll be posting about nostalgia too. I am the oldest, and my only surviving brother is 15 years younger. My girls don't have many cousins their own age; my late husband's nephews are in their 40s and my brother's two children are 13 and 8. I love fresh peaches(so hard to find good ones these days!) and miss my homegrown tomatoes. Enjoy church and your bounty of fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My tomatoes are just beginning to ripen now. So tasty. You do love your crostata, Joanne. The peaches look delicious for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are quite the busy woman. Enjoy church service. I know many people miss it. It was good of your sister to drop by with fresh produce. I'm sure the peach crostata will be very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I harvested a basket of tomatoes today. They are starting to overwhelm us so I'm going to share the bounty with some friends and neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Rare One went berserk at Costco and bought a whole flat of peaches. Tomorrow I'm using 5 of them to make a new recipe for peach-apple crisp. It calls for half a cup of whisky. Yowza! I hope it tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh. Don't worry, if the whisky doesn't make it taste good, you won't care. Sounds good, though. I'm not so fond of cooked peaches,but mixed with apples in a crisp no less sounds delish.

      Delete
  14. My mom was the youngest of 10 and the last one living. I should have asked her how that felt but didn't.

    Enjoy your tomatoes.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Tomato Sandwich!
    The peaches could be ice cream. just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh yes!! Really ripe tomato ( ie not grocery store ones) sandwiches with Hellman's!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmm, I do love peaches, although my preference is for sunwarmed and straight off the tree. Sadly, no longer available, supermarket or farmer's market only around here. One day I shall buy my own peach tree again.
    That bobbin colour is jeans, the denim is a greyer shade.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nostalgia is good as are tomatoes and peaches. Mine are just ripening, sweet little orange ones - sweet as in sugary.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those tomatoes and the peaches look delicious, Joanne! You will have enjoyed the church now, and I think it is a good decision to go there. Have a nice Sunday today!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nostalgia isn't all bad. History is the foundation for the future.
    Fresh peaches..mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  21. The fruit looks terrific. Enjoy it all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't it interesting how an early morning visit from a sister bearing vegetable gifts can inspire a blog post? I've enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mr. Moon brought home a tray of peaches from Costco. Not only are there too many, they are each huge. I will not complain but one seems more than adequate for a single serving. I think a peach cobbler is in his future. I hope you enjoyed church. I detect a sadness in your posts these past few days. Maybe seeing others will help. Or maybe I'm wrong about the sadness. I hope I am.

    ReplyDelete
  24. it is strange being the oldest generation still alive. that's where my sister, brother, and I are. 3 of us in a 5 year span.

    I think that blue is the jeans blue.

    we are all weary. weary of Trump, weary of the compromised republican party, weary of the virus so I hope your outing to church perked you up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those peaches and tomatoes sure look good. I have one older brother left and a few cousins, other than that I am the youngest and last of my generation. It makes me sad. You've done a lot for your township and you should be proud. It is so important to have people that care.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting-looking little beetle. My dad used to eat a tomato like an apple, but he'd salt most every bite. I've carried on the tradition. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete