Monday, July 27, 2020

Done, supper, and ready to start

I simply do not remember dreams. I may awake from a dream in the night and think "I should remember that," but I don't. I woke up in a dream this morning. I was selling my car, and I asked the man I was selling it to, "Please find the source of that awful buzzing and stop it!", and it didn't end, so I rolled over to get up and find it myself, and of course, it was my alarm.

So I really did jump right up, for breakfast and to get straight back to the last five bouts to put on. Also the cat, but he knows it's all about him when the door opens. So, I did it. Two bouts before lunch and three after. I also made a blueberry crostata, after I finished the raspberry crostata for lunch. But I didn't take a picture.


Eleven bouts turned on and pulled out to tie on. That will be several more days. But, all the physically painful part is done, and my shoulder is grateful.

When I was grocery shopping last week, I went slowly down the produce aisle, watching for the chard. It's easy to miss if I don't read every card. There it was, red and white, and right next to it, chard with half the stems cut off. I picked up one of those and kept on going. Back home I tossed it into the refrigerator, with all the other fridge stuff, and kept on until the groceries were stashed.

And then I thought, "that chard was not in the bag! What did I put in the fridge? I looked at the bill and found I'd purchased rapini. 


So, after I finished that warp, I collapsed in my desk chair and began looking at rapini. It doesn't have much of a reputation. Or recipes.


I followed along the gist of one recipe. I did the same thing, but I used two pans and my personal plate. They used two pans, four holding plates for each item cooked, until ready to go back in the pot, and a serving dish. 

The recipe was a pretty little serving plate of rapini, with little fried potatoes snuggled in. For six people. From the same amount of rapini as I have there, plus two Yukon Golds. See what I mean about the bad rep. That would serve up to a tablespoon apiece.

Anyway, I gently fried up three or four sliced garlic cloves. They left theirs whole, and removed them and hid them among the rapini leaves, too. Then I washed the rapini and put it into the pot, with more olive oil. The whole time I was cooking the two Yukon's. When I had fried all the water away, the rapini was very small down there. I quartered the potatoes, sliced them, put them in the rapini pot with more oil, until they were golden. Then I mixed and served.

This actually is a decent veggie. Strong, but good. 

35 comments:

  1. I shall see if any of my local grocers have rapini. Do you know whose recipe it was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find it again Mage, of course. Just google rapini recipe and you will get a slew of them. It's just cooked down, mixed with fried potatoes and garlic.

      Delete
  2. I dont think I'll bother with rapini (or chard for that matter). Sounds like a lot of hassle! Frozen peas or fresh broccoli are easier to deal with, plus those bags of baby spinach leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had that and broccoli rabe, maybe they're the same? and really there are better greens with less work.

      You were very industrious with the loom today. Good morning's work.

      Delete
  3. it was a bit sharp as I recall when I had it. Not on the grocery list after. But now we're talking of you serve yukon gold potatoes. They are lovely.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you at least used your rapini. I would probably have given it to the box turtles. Not sure they would like it, but I know the raccoons wouldn't. They like sweets (and peanut butter). Also I think your crostata is similar to a dutch baby. Haven't tried blueberry, but do enjoy the strawberry ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spinach is my green of choice...And collard greens are good too, but take much more cooking. Good that you didn't waste the rapini. I love crostatas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've given it a try once, but it didn't get rave reviews. It is a strong flavour. I like how you incorporated your alarm clock into your dream! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on all your successful work on the loom! Yay! Plus you made a blueberry crostata - what a perfect and sweet ending!

    You are braver than I am to cook up that rapini! Well, if I bought it I guess I would try to do something with it, but I'm not the best cook even with foods I know.

    Enjoy that crostata!

    ReplyDelete
  8. dream world has been interesting these past few months, difficult for me to distinguish between dream and real time. That was ambitions of you to actually look up a recipe for that green veg, it does look kale like, not a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of rapini and haven't done anything with chard. I am thinking both won't make it on my weekly menu any time soon.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you found a good way to cook it. I've never heard of Rapini. I'm not a fan of chard either, nor spinach or its cousin silverbeet. I'll put baby spinach in a salad, but not very much of it, and full grown spinach tastes like dirt to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes like dirt to me, too, River! I spent years trying to eat and/or like greens of any kind or any age, but finally decided I would stop. I get enough vitamins from other vegetables.

      Delete
  11. Hari OM
    I think this is what is sold here as 'tenderstem broccoli' - we tend not to get the leaves though. Which is a shame. I love broccoli leaves - and cauliflower leaves... so often consigned to the bin! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. No never heard of this one but the beer fairy often comes home with some green stuff he gets from a old chinese lady round the corner looks very simular.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only tried rapini once after a friend raved about it. I found it a little strong but I'm sure I could get used to it. I just hate to pay the price.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like rapini, but have it only occasionally because Miriam is not fond of it. A huge volume, like spinach, cooks down to nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never tried rapini. I appreciate hearing how to cook it, and that you enjoyed it. What were you going to make with the chard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stompot. There is a recipe somewhere in this blog for it, so I confidently typed "stompot" into my search box. Several results, all wrong. I tried several spellings, no luck.
      Stompot is from a Dutch reader. Here's what I do. Cut half a pound of bacon into two or three inch pieces. While it's cooking, in another pot put half a dozen quartered potatoes. Stuff in a bunch of chard. When the potatoes are fork tender, drain the water, reserving a bit. With your mom's old potato masher, mash together the chard and potatoes. Use some reserved water if necessary. Pour on the bacon and as much bacon fat as you are comfortable using. Salt and pepper. This is a comfort dish, best eaten from a single pot, your own spoon, in front of the TV. I often add mushrooms in the bacon pan. Kale is good, spinach is good. I hope the stompot returns to the search box. I may try it in old blogger.

      Delete
    2. Stampot... with curly kale is very comforting and even better with a fried egg on top. Apparently you can even make it with brussels sprouts; I've never been that hungry.

      Delete
  16. I never remember dreams either for as long as I can remember.

    I don’t think I’ve ever eaten rapini. For sure I’ve never cooked it. With all the kale in the garden, we will be eating it every day til the snow flies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I rarely remember dreams too. Not a fan of chard OR rapini.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adventures in vegetables! I remember the first time I tried arugula I hated it so much I pulled it all up in the garden. Now it is my favorite green in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never eaten it. What's it taste similar to? Please don't say chicken! :) I love all veggies. In fact, I think it would be easy for me to become a vegetarian especially since I have gastroparesis and meats really are hard for me to digest. I pretty much live on smoothies and mushy stuff like cottage cheese, etc.

    After being here for some reason my mouth is watering for some butternut squash. I do a veggie medley with it sauteed in olive oil with fresh herbs, garlic and onions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly bitter. I won't buy it again, but I know what it tastes like, now.

      Delete
  20. I've never even heard of rapini much less eaten it. and I'm glad somebody is continuing to be creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still earning money from it, Ellen, and that is motivation.

      Delete
  21. Rapini is intriguing...I wonder if it would grow here?
    Tidy work.. setting a loom is as important if not more so than doing the weft right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can patiently unweave a mistake, but you cannot unwarp a mistake except by taking off the warp.

      Delete
  22. Well done on using the surprise veggie!

    You have such persistence - you're an excellent role model. I'm glad you've finished getting your warp on, and hope you can give your shoulder some TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad it turned out well, Joanne, and thank you for the rapini knowledge as I have never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a new vegetable for me.

    ReplyDelete