Monday, February 17, 2020

Handsfull, tossed at a wall

Cards today, hurrah, and Nancy is back. She even walked in her new hip with a cane, not much past three weeks.

I packed carefully to go to cards today. I had a bag of towels to mail and a script to pick up. If I don't need to spend money on my trip out, I generally leave my purse, with wallet, home. Today I remembered to put it the bag of towels and a very important birthday card.

After cards I was reminded of Mardi Gras next week. I put it on my calendar, and left, my mind on Mardi Gras.  Half way down Akron-Peninsula Road, I remembered the post office.  With an appropriate remark, I turned around in the defunct golf course and headed back to the post office.

I could see the school at the top of the hill. No cars. Of course not. Presidents' Day. That's why we had some card playing grandchildren at the church today. And why the post office is not open.

I turned around, worked my way back to A-P, and overshot Quick Road, my route out of the valley and up to the drug store. Not a problem, I turned up Wetmore, a favorite park owned road with crumbling farm buildings.

Along the edge of the ridge, I admired both the bad state of the "abandonded" road and the stalwart effort of the township road guys to keep it passable, though at a much reduced speed. Halfway or so up, there is a trail head, both for hikers and riders. 

The trail head has been planted with plastic tubes! The park is determined to turn us back two hundred plus years and reforest the township and the village. Every one of those tubes protects a seedling from hungry deer.



Enlarge the picture and the sign in front announces "Restoration work in process." Indeed, in 1805, this was forest. It was said a squirrel could travel across the entire state via trees.

Enlarge the picture a bit more, and the lower left hand corner says "River Restoration in Process." No further explanation. That's a little precious. The river is in the valley. And nothing up here can repair the undercut the Cuyahoga River has made of Akron-Peninsula road, in the valley. I will call some park people tomorrow and see what they have to say.

31 comments:

  1. You sound like me on one of my busier days! My mind just rolls as I drive along, planning my stops and errands. When those trees get tall enough to have foliage, they'll be beautiful amidst that white snow! Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It drives me crazy when my train of thought gets derailed and I forget to do half my errands! lol

    I wonder how long those seedlings will need to be protected. Surely they'll be just as susceptible to being eaten this time next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sleeves are slit top to bottom. They stay on for several years. Five or more. Another thing to find out tomorrow. And, how many do they expect will die off? Or need thinned.

      Delete
    2. Interesting. Let us know what you find out!

      Delete
  3. We had a holiday too. Family Day. You need something in February.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those deer protection tubes are a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The moment you said you were heading to the post office, I thought "oh no, she forgot it was President's Day." All's good though and I'm sure they'll be mailed promptly out in the next few days!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for tree restoration. I am looking forward to learning more from you about the 'river restoration' too.
    I am not going to admit just how often I 'forget' public holidays since giving up paid work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Land being returned to forest?? That's just made my day. I have a grin from ear to ear :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love to hear of trees being planted. If this area is not near the river then I am a little confused about it being part of the "River Restoration". I'll be interested in hearing what you find out about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hari OM
    Over here, in regard river restoration, surrounding land is included where it has impact on the drainage of the area into that river. Trees can be useful in flood prevention as they will take up much of the excess water... could that apply where you are?

    And daaaannnnggg. That's like me and the eggs that never got off my list... hey ho. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a day off to celebrate the President???

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is encouraging to see all those trees being replanted. I doubt whether the squirrels will ever again have that untrammelled highway, however. I have to confess that Presidents Day seems like an odd celebration. We have Family Day and that seems more like a reason to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I admire your interest in the conservation project. Many wouldn’t bother with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope we never have a day off here in the UK to celebrate Boris Johnson, I'd rather work.

    Nice to see those newly planted trees!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know it is a holiday; I know government buildings are closed, but for a quick minute I am distracted by something else and decide that I will do this week’s bills and put them in my mailbox. If I am lucky, it will occur to me what I have done later on, but one can’t depend on luck. I call these my distracted years.

    Bringing back forests instead of building more houses or strip malls is a very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, planting trees is always a good start to anything. I commend them for that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. good for the park. we need more trees and the wildlife that goes with them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reforesting sounds like a great idea. At least the land is not being turned into an apartment complex!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Going to the post office on a week day holiday isn't as bad as going on a Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's amazing (if true) that a squirrel could cross the whole state on trees. It makes you realise how much gradual deforestation is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Someone passed and buried the seeds in the ground and put the plastic over, and some patience needed until a forest grew.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such great thinking.

    Pam is right.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have days like that, too...I wonder what on earth is going on with the river....Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They used the same system when they suddenly decided to plant a "forest" outside town, about twenty years ago. We all looked rather askance at it but the Parks commitee just gritted their teeth and kept on going.
    It still not a forest but local wild life loves it and it's become popular to adopt one of the trees. Small improvements can be important, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like you had a couple of "senior moments" deep in the heart of Ohio. I wish they didn't have to use those plastic tubes. We have millions of them in England too. Are they good for the environment? I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tubes may not be good, but without them the deer would eat the young trees down to the ground. Hunting is in decline here, so there will be more deer.

      Delete
  25. I hate when I leave the house with a clear agenda and an organized feel to myself and everything slowly starts to fall apart as the plans explode.

    Great news on the reforestration though.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope those tubes work. They said Hawaii needs to plant more trees too because of global warming temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Our holiday last week was Family Day, which I slept straight through.

    ReplyDelete