Sunday, September 29, 2019

Reading



Spending the day throwing a shuttle from hand to hand to hand could be exquisitely boring. I think back on Silas Marner and wonder what he did before Eppie came to him. Ever since I’ve been a weaver I’ve had some sort of feed to my ears, and a book playing on the current iteration of the Walkman.

I’m listening to a book so engrossing, so fascinating, I’ve listened to it straight through, twice. The book is The Salt Path, by Raynor Winn.

References to books of interest are everywhere, and I write the reference on my much abused desk note pad, and try to remember to follow through. The first time I searched my local digital library, The Salt Path was not even a twinkle in its eye, so I left my first ever, in many years of book downloading, lament for a book I’d love to listen to. Eventually it appeared.

Actually, I know nothing about the life cycle of a book. I suppose there is a longer time between the release of a book and the release of the recorded book. Finding the right reader, making the contract, getting a producer. And then the library must obtain a copy.

Another system beyond my comprehension is the lending of recorded books. They have a finite cycle, just like real books. The screen tells me how many recordings they have and how many are available. I borrow a digital book, and two weeks later the library virtually takes it back.

Once I had a hundred or more digital books, on CD’s. I donated all of them to the Peninsula Library when I moved from the big house. My reasoning was, they all were available to borrow. Here’s the mystery. Once I had the burning desire to have all my J.R.R. Tolkien collection back, just to have and to begin in the middle of the night, if I wished. I had no sense of thievery; I had donated the entire set once.

I began downloading, and my MP3 player ran out of room before I finished.  I released the recordings back to the library. So, I learned one or two obvious lessons. I also realized that once I’ve downloaded a book, I can go back and virtually return it, so someone else can borrow it. It still is mine on my PC for the lending period, and mine on my MP3 player until I run out of room.

The Salt Path engaged me from the first sentences. So many of its scenes resonated with my life and experience. Quickly I asked "Is this true”? When I asked Google, the question had been asked so often, its algorithm filled in the words.

That’s what I do when I weave. This is one book I did not set aside when I stood up to leave the loom.




28 comments:

  1. Many, many thanks. This is a book which had not crossed my radar and which sounds right up my very broad alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a review and then forgot to follow it up. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check this out. I do like my digital library through our public library. Only thing I don't like is they limit how many holds you can have. You can only have 8 holds at a time. I have some books on hold that say it will take 6 months to get to my turn. I can patiently wait since there are lots of other good books out there to read. I can't do audio books, they put me to sleep LOL :) Something relaxing about listening to someone read out loud.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious about the book. I can't listen to audio books. Gives me a headache. I don't know why.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never read Silas Marner. Your post reminded me that I want to read it.

      Delete
  5. We also d/l books from Audible. We pay for them, so I guess they're ours to keep. I like the author's first name. I believe that my last name came from someone with a first name like his. Way way back in the mists of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I still like to read though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every Monday, one of the subjects of discussion of my knitting group is audio books. Knitting and crocheting go hand-in-hand audiobooks. I can't share several books that I've read because they are not available as audiobooks. I wish there were an app that we could sign up for that would read any book. But, then, oftentimes a reader with a pleasant voice makes a big difference in the enjoyment of a book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this book -- I'll have to find out more about it! My Rare One does not read physical books any more. She listens exclusively to audiobooks downloaded from the library. She likes to multitask while listening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this recommendation, Joanne. I've recommended it to our library.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often wonder what my Irish ancestors on my dad's side 'listened' to as they 'threw a shuttle from hand to hand'. They were linen weavers working in the home well before weaving became big business and factories opened.
    Yours is the third book recommendation I've taken an interest in this week Joanne - I'm 2nd in line for The Salt Path so hopefully should have it within a few weeks. The other two are not in the catalogue- on orederhow it said, arriving later in the year. First in line for both yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've noted the title and author of the book, but won't even think about getting it until I've read the 226 books currently on my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hari OM
    Noted also!!! I do enjoy audio when working on other - manual - tasks. This could be one for the crochet! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I listen to Audible's audiobooks while I'm sewing dolls house quilts... very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have searched both of the library's audio book apps I use and neither one has The Salt Path. I'll be on the lookout for it though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tip. I'm looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love audio books. I check out a bunch at once, download to my iPod and listen at my leisure. The library checks them back in a week later but they stay on my iPod until I delete them through iTunes. Works well for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I suppose I should get on the audio book train but I don't have a player besides my computer though that would work as i work next to it. you gave us no clue what the book is about only that you really like it. guess I'll see if our library has a print copy next time I go.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Audio books were a great invention. A boon to people who are vision impaired and travellers on long car journeys as well as weavers at their looms. I have been known to drive past my destination if the book is at a crucial stage because I don't want to stop listening.
    I prefer to read print books but audio books certainly have their place.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just ordered from the library, #2 on waiting list. I have not heard of this so delighted for the recommendation.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will have to get a regular book.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joanne, I just pulled up The Salt Path and read a bit of the prologue. Yes, it does sound interesting. I myself don't do the audio books (I tend to fall asleep), but do love reading. Will definitely check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't listen to audio books. I prefer to read straight forward.

    ReplyDelete
  25. For some reason I cannot listen to a book (or anything where people are talking) while I work. One track mind, I guess! So many people enjoy listening while they do other things that I feel I'm deficient somehow, but I just find it so annoying. However, I'm always up for a book recommendation and I assume this one comes as an actual book too :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. A million thank yous for this. I have just looked up the book and it looks fascinating, not least because I was in that part of the UK only last month. I am definitely going to look for this book.

    ReplyDelete