Sunday, August 4, 2019

Mitchell Park Domes

A lot of sightseeing went on last week.  Like all of us, there is a lot of her state of Wisconsin that Ann has not explored, and takes advantage of visitors to get there. We spent an afternoon at the Mitchell Park Domes in Milwaukee.

These are conoidal (not geodesic) structures, a horticultural conservatory. I made a link to the technical description. Now for a picture heavy trip through. There are three domes, one for wet and/or warm climates, one for hot and/or dry climates. 

The third changes, and currently features a series of vignettes constructed by local groups. After a quick look about, I sat out the third. The mechanical elements of that structure made a direct attack on my hearing aids.



Outside, a sundial. Stand on the correct calendar month, orient the sun to your back, and your shadow rests on the time. It works.


The entrance, including all three domes.


In the lobby, there are scavenger hunt flyers. Young parents set the children the task of locating the plants listed. And with no further ado, the tour:






A youngster on the hunt.












I remember difficulties of photographing fish through water, years ago. I remember needing a polarizing lens. Either technology is advanced, or goldfish are different from brook trout. The concrete frog is very overexposed.





This photo collection is more a statement of me than of what I saw. The first half is dry region vegetation, the second wet region. There was a good deal of humidity involved, or not.

The TBI so changed my brain orientation, I'm now right brained, I guess. So, no description of the facts of each scene, just pictures. I'm used to it now; it's even a pleasant way to pass my time.

Apparently there is controversy about the future of the domes. One factor wants them gone and their purpose consolidated with other institutions. And those who love what they are want them to stay. I just enjoyed the hours.

35 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I think they are lovely - and having been in similar spaces at different places, I appreciate the environment they create. Go with the pictures, Joanne, they tell as much as words can, most of the time! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to the Eden Project in Cornwall, England. Went on a very wet day but the domes kept us dry. Great day out with lots to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an interesting place. Many years ago when my sister's family lived just west of Milwaukee I made a few trips to the area. We have enjoyed the art museum on their lake front. I never knew of this place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating. Thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, Joanne. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they are lovely. I hope they are allowed to remain! I too would enjoy my time there.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. horticultural conservatory is pretty cool. I been to one in Calgary.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why,oh why is there always someone who always wants to destroy what is for a supposedly "better idea". I would think that the Domes would be considered a public treasure and not to be messed with. Probably all boils down to dollars for someone. Rant over. Thank you for taking us there Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wonderful--a strong similarity to a visit to the San Diego Zoo and all of their varied plants. They have wet and dry areas as well, and the plantings are based on the plant's natural habitat. Plus, in Balboa Park, there's the Botanical Building and a massive lily pond with Koi fish just outside the doors. https://www.kpbs.org/news/2019/may/07/chris-ward-wants-95m-spruce-embarrassing-balboa-pa/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both are fascinating places to visit. The idea of a scavenger hunt is pure genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too, and was charmed to see so many youngsters flapping pages in one hand and pencils in another, finding the "prizes". I walked around more than a few kids in the five year old or less range, sitting in the walkway, comparing the "find" to the clue. That alone was worth the price of admission.

      Delete
  11. As Tehachap spoke, San Diego Zoo and Balboa park has biomes, but not to the extent of what you experienced.

    I hope the voice of the people and of reason prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are very neat and when I was in Milwaukee a few years ago with my dd Em, I am sorry I didn't see them or even know about them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty place to wander. I wonder why some people want them gone.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos. The scavenger hunts is neat.
    I wonder what it feels like living in a dome like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why would anyone want these domes gone? They are lovely to look at and a wonderful educational tool as well as drawing tourists.
    Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They must be fascinating, comparing the two growing conditions

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting - the desert one, especially, since it is so very different from any climate I am used to. Great spot to while away a few hours! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  18. No hearing aid problems in the dry and wet zones eh? I'm glad. Lovely pictures. I hope they decide to keep the cones/domes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. People actually want them gone?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fascinating place. I'd love to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh! I would love walking in those domes! I had no idea they existed. Thank you, Joanne, for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice place. I'd vote to keep it! Though, since I live in TX, not WI my vote probably doesn't count. The pictures are all very nice. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. why on earth would anyone want them gone! stupid people. considering your weaving profession I would say you have always been right brained. and besides, pictures give way more info than words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, my sister was the right brain, I was the left. I live in an interesting new world these last three years.

      Delete
  24. So they spent all that money building them and now other people want them gone? Stupid, just stupid, like so many things today. Wisconsin is a pretty part of the country, we have not been there, maybe we should go.
    I don't know any generation Z's or any other young people for that matter. That's a problem with the RV living, we're generally in old people groups.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, I am devolving to out of focus images. Thank you so much for your notes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to try out that sundial, even as sun-aversive as I am!

    Most people are a combination of right and left brain orientation. It must be unsettling to have your balance shifted, though. Lovely pictures, on the other hand!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would have loved your tour, interesting that about your brain and how you have adapted.

    That sundial tho - I am amazed there aren't more of them!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  28. That place seems like a combination of Kew Gardens and The Royal Observatory here, but both in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful shots. That's the most unusual sun dial I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Some wonderful plants there. You're lucky to have such an interesting place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This was really lovely to see,

    ReplyDelete