Thursday, December 20, 2018

Brexit and Brump


             
Current events have me re-reading World War II memoirs, notes, analysis, I think for the purpose of strengthening in my mind the relationship and bond between America and Britain. I wonder who knows where our ships of state will drift.

As you know, I think Britain’s exit from the European Union is a mistake. I think the election of our current president, Trump, is a mistake. Both were attempts to return a sense of nationhood to the majority who voted.

Isolation is no longer a solution. It wasn’t in World War I, either, but it took ships a lot longer to cross an ocean then, and planes barely could. As for our current situations, the cat’s among the pigeons, as the saying goes.

If Britain attempts to force a new referendum on Brexit, the rule of law, their constitution is undermined. Then they might as well try for two out of three. I think get on with it. Exit on March 31st and see what the members of Parliament can do to make it more palatable. But do it.

This country has got on with it with Brump. It’s not fun; it’s good for very few. A solution is coming: 109 weeks down, 98 weeks to the presidential election. Our opportunity to redirect the ship of state.

The outcome of Brexit can only be known in giving it a try; make the effort. If it’s as ill-fitting as Brump has been over here, re-join the EU.

Don’t say it’s harder than that. Of course it is. Life is hard. Solutions are hard.

People are dying from Brump. Jobs gone, lives changed, countries changed. But make changes through agreed upon rules of engagement. There are too many problems to re-solve. Starting at GO with revolution is no solution. Laying a course from here forward can be.

I don’t know why I shoved these words and paragraphs together. Perhaps to draw the straight path up to the madness. Neither country is ready for the chaos that will ensue. Like us, I think, Britain is not prepared. Time’s up. Who will clear the next border export? Can that ship come into port? Whoops, the mail’s piling up.

Who will pay to Secret Service to guard the president? Hell’s bells, how will we last the 109 weeks? That damn Paul Ryan, announcing there will be a shutdown if there is no wall, and how many of those lame ducks will come back to vote, one way or another.

And in the meantime, we get up in the morning, go to bed at night, feed the dog and cat, make supper. Come on, you government guys. Load the dishwasher. Put the laundry in the dryer!

Let’s all have a happy Christmas, and see you when it’s over. Perhaps there will be a glimmer then.



36 comments:

  1. We've had it no matter which way it goes. I hope 2019 is an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and by the way, many people don't know Britain has no formal constitution.

      Delete
  2. And now Mattis is jumping ship. He'll soon be surrounded by only 'yes men'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pity that you are not running the country

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read that Congress has coughed up almost $6bln for the man-child. Might or might not be accurate at this point.

    I think British voters need a chance to accept or reject the negotiated agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read that British voters just now discovered what Brexit really is and is appalled. As we are. More of his Generals are getting out of his way, I note.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas!! I usually avoid commenting when one writes about politics as I'm out of the loop with a lot of what is going on in that arena. Important thing is to be educated on what one is voting for and then of course make sure to go out and vote.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how everybody fights like cats and dogs in the British House of Commons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am hoping Brump cannot totally destroy this county before being arrested or voted out. But I am not sure it is not a vain hope. I am so horrified.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is I hope new year is better than this to many people left my life this year.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sensible words, but sense went out the window both in America and Britain. But as you point out we will still be feeding the cat/dog and hanging up the washing ;) Have a good holiday and Happy Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I try not to worry too much, but I do worry for your country and Britain, then I worry what ramifications all of those happenings might have on my country. Then I give up and eat ice cream, which I'm not supposed to eat, but I have cut the amount to just three teaspoons at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think there should be a second Brexit referendum, firstly because we now know a lot more about what Brexit would actually involve, secondly because opinions have shifted quite a lot in 2½ years and it looks like there is now a large majority for staying in the EU. The prospect of a no-deal Brexit and all the chaos that's likely to ensure is alarming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish this were true Nick, sadly there's still a proportion of deluded Brexiters who believed the first load of lies (easiest deal ever, they need us more than they need them) and have now swallowed the next load even though the first load turned out to be false (we got through the war, loads of new trade agreements). We shall see what happens when they turn out to be false too.

      Delete
  13. Merry Christmas Joanne. Come back refreshed and ready to take on the world again :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hari OM
    Joanne, you have laid it out as well as anyone/where could at this point! It is a schemozzle any which way one looks at it. Our 'Brexit' had only just a majority in a similar way that 'Brump' won on a technical count in the peculiar way of US elections. What is more, almost the entirety of the Bonny Land wanted to remain so al this is pointing towards us also having another go at referendum... sigh...

    Have a wonderful time in Wisconsin and see you on the other side... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. The alarmists are out in the UK and there are good deals to be had outside the EU but it seems that bad news and glass half empty people have the loudest voices. No change can take place of this magnitude without a transition period that is not easy but it could work if Parliament were to help it work. At the moment they are not. Enjoy your Christmas break and I am looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think 'the inmates are in charge of the asylum' is a better description. perhaps Mattis' resignation will finally shock some sense into the republicans. but probably not. they'll just all quit and leave the mess for someone else to clean up. stocks are crashing, people losing jobs, factories closing while he insanely doubles down on a stupid wall that will cause far more harm than any perceived good of which I don't perceive any. Trump tweets while the empire burns. whoever the next president is will have a hard time of it as Trump has proven to the world that we cannot be trusted to stand by any agreement made by a previous administration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agree with second referendum for Brexit, It was based on lies and fear- same with do-overs for tRUMP- not our president, just have to ride this out at the expense of goodwill, trust, honesty and lost jobs/lives. Anyway, yes, feed the cat, walk the dog, bake a cookie and try to not rubberneck the horrible wreck that is this nation at the moment. LOVE to you, peace in your good heart and happy weaving. I do not allow my white woven cloth to be used by anybody by baby Jesus and Saint Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My thoughts exactly. I cannot imagine what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well said. I hope the new year rings new possibilities and hope because we can certainly use it. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There’s something very poetic about this post, along with a good dose of common sense. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Let's hope things get ironed out soon. There has always been turmoil and discord, but this seems beyond anything anyone could make up.

    I couldn't find your email - just wanted you to know there's a great article on weaving in the current Early American Life magazine - nothing you don't already know I'm sure, but I thought it might be of interest to you.

    Stay warm, safe, and have a Merry Christmas! Let's forget all that other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wise words, Joanne! Those decisions makes us feeling helpless, makes us want to draw back into "home" - but thinking about it I come to my private conclusion: I won't. First time in my life I have the wish to fight back - I'm speaking of public life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Perhaps there will be a glimmer then."

    I sure as hell hope so.
    Meantime, Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We will see you when it is over too. You are a light in our lives. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. For the rest of my life, I will probably think of him as "that damn Paul Ryan."

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Have a good Christmas. We will look forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My sister is excited that Trump is shaking up Washington. I reminded her of how many people were excited about getting into world War I. Sigmund Freud was one of them and afterwards said he had been a foolish old man.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Joanne, yes, perhaps a glimmer. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I wonder if Trump will last through 2019?

    Don't worry about Brexit; there are plenty of lucrative alternatives to the EU. Just give it time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your thoughts are my thoughts.
    Hope we all make it through the madness.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete