Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Raining therapy, trees and sparrows



I’ve swept them all under the title of therapists, but in the aftermarket of home health, I am dealing with a program supervisor, a nurse supervisor, a nurse, an occupational therapist and a physical therapist. The people who used to show up in the gym, make assessments and leave now make appointments, ring doorbells (right and wrong doorbells), spend time assessing, make a new appointment and leave. Complex!

The head nurse will sign me off today. She called to say she would be here at nine. As in nine in the morning. I laughed. Generally I am up to cleaning the cat box at nine in the A M. Before breakfast. I don’t function until after breakfast. She picked ten, with authority. But ten is Linda and physical therapy. The nurse settled on noon.

In addition to putting me through the routine, these therapists are tasked with charting, which interests me. How much faster I can walk one hundred feet, for example. The therapy on my left shoulder is most fascinating. More muscles than I realized were repositioned.

My shoulder still does not move to the left, and the therapist will not address that until I see the surgeon next week. She says “too soon”, and that’s it, until the doctor gives his OK. Given all the months I spent with my upper arm firmly against my side, I count myself lucky to throw my shuttle with my forearm.

Laura has a three day holiday. Tomorrow she’s going to her mother’s table via a lift from Bekka. Hamilton is expected.


Between therapists, Laura trimmed her tree. It has an ornament free, cat proof barrier at the bottom. It’s an annual contest between the cat and the tree trimmer. Currently Toby is asleep on my weaving bench, so this year’s stand-off has not commenced.


And, we left the sparrow feeders intact.

27 comments:

  1. Cats just don't seem to "get" Christmas trees, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vacillate between feeling interested in what's happening in my foot and feeling upset. I should, perhaps, spend more time being distracted with other things and hope the healing comes when I least expect it.

    My new PT guy is youthful and exuberant. Appointments with him have been mostly very nice.

    Happy Turkey Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be getting him to explain exactly what is happening and where it's going. Then one day, voila, you'll be pirouetting on that toe and demanding explanation of the next step!

      Delete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving. Sounds like you keep all those folks in life e while they think they're in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a good holiday and get a lot of rest. It is just the thing for healing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari Om
    ...and you're turkey dinner??? The 'trimmer' did good. Another ten days before mine goes up. Have a good Thanks Day, Joanne!!! YAM XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol. I knew a cat which would climb the tree by the window and jump onto the blinds which she would fall down, cutting off her whiskers.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only time I had trouble with cats and xmas trees was when Kidney had a litter of kittens and the all tried to climb it together seeing it fell on them and gave them a big shock they left it alone.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do sound busy Joanne. I'm fortunate that my late cat never bothered the tree. I didn't even know cats did things like that until I started reading blogs, lol, never having had a cat before. Since she passed I never got another cat. Maybe one day when I am not so buy for others. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Laura. I hope she enjoys her visit with her mom and brother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a child, we knew Christmas season had begun when the dog did its annual knockdown of the tree. The collection of blown glass ornaments was whittled down year by year . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baby steps, but there are more of them. Have a warm T-Giving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. getting ticked off one at a time. your garden looks lovely even now! and you? where will you be tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  12. George begins all this on Monday. Me, I can at last put my arms together behind my back. Briefly. I'm so proud of you for all you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you'll have a quiet Thanksgiving. Me too thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear your health is progressing and that your doing well. My Rare One was an occupational therapist in a rehab hospital before she retired.

    Now that I'm back on Google Chrome as my browser instead of Safari, I can comment again! Safari refused to recognize my Google Profile. Google and Safari are in some kind of pissing match apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trimming the tree already? But it isn't even December yet!
    The shoulder will take time, but will move more and better eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your life is complicated, but sounds good.....Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank God for wonderful doctors, nurses, and therapists. I just wish they weren’t such a big part of this time in life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tree is looking good!! Hopefully one day soon you won't have to be dealing with all the therapists and doctors like you've been dealing with for a bit now.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the tree. And your take charge attitude. Where are you spending Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  20. That seems like an appropriate size tree. Ours is even smaller, and pre-lit, and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Hugs too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bah humbug on professionals who think they can schedule you at their whim, as if you had nothing else to do except whatever you need them for! Unless a doctor or department only has morning hours, I schedule everything for the afternoon, when I feel like an actual person instead of a black hole. Hah!

    Happy Thanksgiving, Joanne. I hope you spend it in a comforting way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to schedule doctors for 10:15 or later. Now it's eleven.

      Delete
  23. Thanks for commenting on my blog.

    Christmas trees in November? Wow that's super organised or super keen!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm reading Barbara Ehrenrich's new book, Natural Causes, which you might find interesting. It's her critique of our current cultural take on medicine and health.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Goodness, your health supervision looks remarkably complex. I hope it's yielding some results.

    Christmas trees seem to go up earlier and earlier. I haven't yet sighted one round here but give it a few days....

    ReplyDelete