Sunday, June 24, 2018

Completely random notes on weaving



A one pound spool of dyed cotton yields six 24” towels. I would like a larger yield, but I cannot argue with the math. In the vernacular, it is what it is.

So far I’ve made very dark, jewel colors, and middle colors. Personally, the middle colors make me happier. I find the warp contrast too much for the jewel colors. Worse yet, my beat is no longer as even as the old days, and when I miss pics per inch, I see it jump out when the towels are fulled. It is what it is.

On a day I can devote to weaving, I can weave two hours in the morning, close to two in the afternoon, and sometimes another hour in the evening. I hoped to extend my back endurance, but the real problem is my shoulder. I found the perfect bench, a piano bench with extra long legs. My forearms are above the breast beam. Perfect!

This past week I finished eighteen towels. I could do more, but that might begin to resemble work. I do not hesitate to retire to my bed for a nap when I’ve pissed off my back or fuddled my head. Charlotte’s Web did make me cry, by the way. What are the odds I would reach into a library of books and for my solo read pick a book about spinning and weaving.

Some towels are off to new homes. They aren’t surprises, on the whole. I did surprise a couple of recipients last time, and will ask them this time. I had a fun email exchange with one blogger who declared a need for white, as she knows she will bleach any colored towel to that state. Hahaha. White is the bleached state of cotton.

When I do not have enough warp to weave six towels from a dyed cone of thread, I’ll finish up the warp in natural towels. They are creamy, the natural state of processed cotton. Bleaching them in every wash turns the towels white in time.


I’m half through another jewel tone pound of thread, royal blue. There’s room for another dozen colored towels after the royal, then natural. Then a new warp. However, “production” will slow and halt soon; Friday I finally come up on the appointment with the orthopedic surgeon, and then there will be MRI’s, I suppose, and then a trip to Wisconsin, and then the moment of reckoning over the shoulder.


Yesterday I fulled the yardage from two different pounds of thread. Today I cut it into 24” lengths, serged both ends of twenty four towels, to secure the threads. Then I sewed rolled hems on twenty four towels, and folded and stacked them, then packed up a few to ship tomorrow.



And now I have these left to send into the world.



29 comments:

  1. Hari om
    They are gorgeous, Joanne - as is to be expected! Sending healing thoughts for the upcoming appointments... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they get ever softer with washing or are they so sturdily woven that it doesn't alter the texture appreciably?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're born soft.The cotton is minimally processed. Threads that are hard and stiff for years of washings have been processed in chlorine gas to set the color and spun to be hard. They have their place, but not in towels.

      Delete
  3. You have a veritable cottage industry going on there! I can't believe how much you accomplish in a day. Those towels are really lovely. I have certain tea towels that I really like because they are soft and absorbent. I have a few (cheap ones) that are a complete mystery. They don't dry anything. When I try to dry a wet wiped counter top, they just move the moisture around.

    I do find it interesting that you chose a book in which a spider weaves messages in her web. It is a beautiful story. Very descriptive. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some of those same non-drying towels, they only come good after being used and washed for about three years. Made in China.

      Delete
  4. You have a very solid work ethic, my friend. Making hay while the sun shines, it would seem, with all those appointments in the offing. Hoping you find some (or a lot of) pain relief as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FULL of admiration! Your towels are gorgeous, what a lot of work! Weavers have the most interesting brains, I think. Well done you, and DO take care of your back!! We must be kind to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely towels. I'd be pleased to receive one as a gift whether or not it was a surprise! Glad you're finding ways to do it comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, beautiful things.
    I am very glad that you make time for naps. I have everything crossed for successful appointments for you. Oceans of caring are flowing your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful gifts for some lucky recipient....I treasure the towels you sent me a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice looking towels. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are having so much wonderful fun. Bravo to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do beautiful work Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful Joanne. I think the cream ones would be boring to do. Need to see the colored patterns. I'm surprised you work so long on these each day. I remember your shoulder. My daughter hurt hers and it has taken two years to 'heal' which is to not hurt. I'm sure you've already tried the shots. When I had my knee replaced, the others at rehab were mostly shoulders. I think they had it worse or maybe they were just men. Don't tell anyone I said that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful work Joanne. You have a system which works perfectly. The naps sound perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lot of work. It is truly a labor of love when you invest that much time. They are so attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love anything purple/lavender colored. Well done.

    Charlotte's Web is for sure a tear-jerker!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never made towels. I'm trying to finish up a couple of project and look like one will be done end of the month.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a gorgeous pattern you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful towels, all! You are really efficient at producing them too despite your shoulder and back issues. I'm so impressed. All the best with your appointment and your upcoming trip. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. the colors are beautiful, you make the best towels

    ReplyDelete
  20. They're beautiful, I love the colours. I'm a fan of jewel colours, my mum was a pastel lover, we never did see eye to eye on that. I'm impressed with your daily output.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a work ethic! And the work is beautiful. Though I hate to lose the color, I opt for bleaching my dish towels to get rid of the coffee stains. I'm relieved to hear you do not out right condemn the practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I send them off, they aren't my towels any more.

      Delete
  22. love the picture of the lengths of woven cloth before you cut them into towels. I'm impressed that they don't start to unravel as soon as you cut them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handling will certainly fray the cut edges. We did all our sewing of clothing on five thread industrial grade sergers that bound the edges as well as made a regular sewing stitch at the proper depth. I use a home serger to bind these ends, before I make a double roll hem.

      Delete
  23. Dear Joanne, I still have --and use--the two towels you sent me back in about 2014. I always think of you and your blog when I use them in the kitchen. Thank you again and yet again.

    Isn't it wonderful--a great gift from the Universe--that we both have a passion for something: you, weaving; me, writing. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  24. On the shoulder reckoning - times 3 the surgeon's stated recovery time and you'll be singing with joy at a fast recovery. spoken from the bitten tongue of woeful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your towels are beautiful. Makes me wish I was a blogger. I started one once but realized I led too boring a life!

    ReplyDelete