Saturday, August 26, 2017

Citation dénouement


For three days I stopped at the office and asked for someone to show me what of my “property” was in violation of the rules. The first two days no one was sent to show me and the third day no one was at the office. I duly noted this each time on the citation, and this morning filed it in the rent folder.

Laura went out to measure the length of our grass, my best guess being that’s what is in their craw. Our grass, mowed five days before, was just over four inches. Our mower is factory set at three inches. The rules state “cannot exceed three inches.” We got out the mower manual and see we are capable of moving some assembly and lowering the cut. That was on the agenda for today, if we ever got up from last night’s away game.

Yesterday, Dan was roaring through properties, a mowing fool. “Can’t talk!” he shouted, when I tried to flag him to stop his huge, roaring machine. “Damn wimmin!” This morning, Cathy explained, as she was leaving for a day out.

The owners are coming in three weeks, she told me. Apparently this week’s drama is practice for the next three weeks. Cathy paid her neighbor, Danny, three dollars to weed wack her property and mine. I pointed out that Dan had mowed the majority of the properties on the street. She hasn’t been out to see.

But, the people Dan is feuding with (and there are many), he skipped. Cathy hadn’t noticed. I pointed out my Mr. Next Door and Mr. Across the Street. Mr. Next Door keeps his grass tidy at all times, though it’s pushing over three inches. Mr. Across the Street, who I love for his attitude, has lengthy grass. I’m thinking he may mow once before the New Jersey suits show up, and it won’t be the day before.

Dan the Maintenance Man probably will keep his favorite lawns scalped for the next three weeks. I doubt we’ll lower our mower blades to mow thereafter. I think three inches is good; shorter is tough on grass, and the stuff here that passes for grass. 

Cathy and I have a fantasy of hiring a landscaper when our ship comes in, and putting a fence around. Pretty arrogant for renters, eh! Laura now knows every nook and cranny to weed wack.



Laura and I weeded today, and bought new mulch to dress the whole garden. It’s that time of year. I weeded an entire bucket full before I failed. The bags of mulch are staged, and the rest is up to her.


Pig says, if a New Jersey suit comes up the steps, he'll knock him down! Toad will jump right on his chest.

Laura and I, and  Pig and Toad hope all our friends in Texas came through the storm, and I hope the trailer park feud made the rest of us smile. 


26 comments:

  1. Echoing your hope for Texas. And loving your garden and attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you over the garden.
    Yes - on our television screens that storm looks pretty scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Oh yes, it's the stuff of soap operas and small claims courts! I too like fuzzy grass. Then again, I didn't have suits with measuring tapes on the horizon... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. No lawn here, just garden. Do they really enforce rules to how long your grass can get.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
  5. this Texas friend has come through fine, we only got the edge after all that preparation but have a week or rain to look forward to. trailer park feud sounds like a reality show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Texas friends are OK too. Keeping good thoughts for them.

    Great job on the garden. Ready for the suits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are all set to 'pass inspection'. Good for pig and toad. I'm cheering for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow, I'm glad nobody measures our grass! We only have one neighbour. He is meticulous. Seriously meticulous. He must curse us under his breath every time he steps out his door. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt about the neighbors when I lived in a meticulous subdivision, and greeted my blanket of dandelions every morning. My neighbor even offered to have my lawn "treated."

      Delete
  9. It's a bit like the showdown at the O.K. Corral ... good luck when the owner finally arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They should be thanking you for keeping it looking so nice around there. I have to look away at the 12 inch tall dandelion yard next door.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Censorship rankles me. They apparently are censoring you for the length of your grass? Why not just give you a call and tell you they noticed that your grass was getting a little high and ask if you need help making it right? I don't understand people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Something about owners coming that make the managers on their "best behavior" to make sure everything looks pretty good. Let's hope the owners visits are far and few between.

    bett

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really surprised to see the length of grass that's allowed. Out here most leases require a yard to be neat with no rubbish. If you are rent or own in a "Strata" property, with there is a body corporate to keep tenants in order, there is usually a gardener who comes around on a regular basis to do the lawns and trim shrubs, his fees are factored into the yearly strata fees paid by owners.

    ReplyDelete
  14. how petty can you get. Your garden looks good

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. This is what the corporate world I used to work in degenerated to as I was leaving, in the nineties.

      Delete
  16. Didn't you and the girls hugely improve the place in the first few weeks of moving in?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, we're smiling. New Jersey suits, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cant see what is to complain about in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If I got into trouble for having long grass, I'd have my hands full of citations. We often can't mow because it's so wet. Of course, all my neighbors have the same problem.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete