Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The big enchilada


I had lunch with my grandson today. The one who is two weeks younger than Laura and has bicycled halfway across the country. According to my texts, he invited me to lunch “sometime”, at least a month ago.  He had the day off school today, so it was a date.

France wanted to plug his blog, Summit Venture, which has a couple new posts on his summer plans. He biked a hundred miles around Cleveland yesterday. He used the MetroParks and the Towpath Trail for much of the ride, but his route definitely took him through downtown Cleveland. “I guess your mom lets you ride on the roads now,” I said. He deigned no reply.

A few mouthfuls into his burger, he did get down to business. How are the DC plans coming? Over his spring break he plans on riding a 350 mile towpath trail from Pittsburgh to DC—solo. Perhaps he might cross paths with his sister, his cousin and me. And, do those girls even have a plan yet for what they want to visit? I see there was some sibling sparring at his house. “Well, I don’t care what you do. Grandma Joanne is taking Laura and me to Washington DC for spring break!”



The big brother superiority crown slipped a little when I turned to the part of the trip to Monticello, Montpelier and Mt. Vernon, none of which he has visited. France has apparently quizzed Caroline enough to know I intend to take a walker with a seat and fold down foot rest. I will spend much of the trip being pushed down the National Mall. He smirked more than a little at the thought of a porter on each side, propelling Grandma to the Lincoln Memorial.

Halfway through the second bottle of ketchup and the order of fries he wound up taking home, France did pull out his phone and quiz me closely on dates and the name and location of our motel.  I do cotton on, sometimes sooner than later. As I paid the bill I said, “Francis, it would be lovely to see you in DC. You can even push the chair.”

He didn’t think so.

We stopped at a coffee shop on the way to the train stop. He paid for his with his phone. I used my card. I don’t portray grandsons so well as granddaughters, but I’m sure you’re following my amusement here. I pulled to the curb to drop him at the University Circle RTA, to take him over to Ohio City and his part time job, which is being banked toward a Jaguar. Excepting his coffee budget.

Before he left the car, he did thank me for lunch, and then added, “Hope to see you in DC. I’ll even push the chair.”

I picked up Laura after school, and there was an envelope for her in the mail. ‘Nuff said.




23 comments:

  1. How wonderful to get some time with France. i enjoyed your description of the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a LOT of bike riding! I could probably do it on a motorbike, if the roads were clear of traffic, buy never on a bicycle. I can't even get mine around the block without a week of recovery time for my thighs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool with Laura and the passport! I don't even have one :)

    Fun visit with your grandson. I hope you all make it to DC, however you get there and however you get around there!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Jag, eh ... That young man has goals and clearly has the determination to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, ha...it's always fun to spend time with the younger set. When the young man gets his jaguar I hope he will give you a ride ;-) Have fun in DC. I can see Laura is very excited. I haven't been there myself and would love to go some day but I don't have a grandson who might push me in a walker, wheeler or other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari om
    Well now...a passport for interstate travel? Think not. So this is where one drops hints and reminders of a wee place a few miles to your East...:-) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let Laura know that you have friends who visit The Netherlands twice a year. Our Beltway Apartment is better than an Airbnb. Even room for Granny with a walker/rollator/wheelchair/walking stick. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. The passport is good. I understand that many Americans never get one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sights to see in Washington DC are wondrous. I am awed by Arlington National Cemetery. The National Cathedral is not only beautiful and full of history but all the smaller rooms of worship are fascinating. The memorials of the various wars are inspiring. It would take weeks to see all there is to see at the Smithsonian museums. Then there is the Library of Congress, The Capitol, and The White House. You may only be able to see the White House from a distance. The present occupant apparently does not think it important for the public to see the home we pay for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love visiting DC. So much history. Will be wonderful to all get together. Can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DC will be fun. and a passport for Laura. I renewed mine last year. the previous 10 years had not been kind. doubt I'd want to leave the country these days though what with homeland security quizzing you on what FB pages you like and wanting the password for your phone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good foresight on the sitter/walker for the trip. It's impossible to name all the things to see in D.C. and one of the best aspects of it is how many are free. I grew up in Arlington, and still remember visiting the herb cottage at Washington Cathedral when I was a little girl.
    I really need to get back there for a visit of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember the excitement of getting my passport. Your grandson sounds like a neat kid! He will definitely be there to push your W/C! I've never been to D.C. Would be fun to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He sounds like an interesting young man. So brave and confident!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great group to eat F.Fries with and then let him get away with the ketchup. I had to be wheeled around the Smithsonian after a broken ankle was still healing. A wonderful time will be had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm trying to get a passport card which is not quite like the book. It allows you to go to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. We're trying to go on a cruise and we'll need one most likely. I'd surprised there's not a lot going to Puerto Rico, that's American territory

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow-he has your zest for life, I think. I like the header on his blog. The DC trip sounds like a lot of fun-I have never been and would like to go. Maybe in 4 years or so haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I took a six year old grandson to Washington D.C. He was young, but very interested in the trip. Those were the days before fear set in and everything had to be barricaded. He looked carefully trying to spot Pres. H.W. Bush during the White House tour. We had the Capitol Building practically to ourselves. Congress was not in session; looking for a bathroom almost got us lost in all those corridors. It was raining. I gave piggy backs trying to get from one place to another. LATE I discovered that there was a subway we could have used! They were working on the blue whale exhibit in the Smithsonian. Monticello is an education in itself. I think I read that it is being renovated?? I took pictures from the windows of the Washington Monument. Wonder how it is now for visitors?
    You will have a good time. I hope your boy does join you there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well I hope you all get to go to DC together; what a great trip that will be; I would worry about Francis biking all over the busy roads, yikes. nice to have grandchildren who can push you around in your adventures together.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I meant to comment, but it looks as thought I did not....I also have a rollator and am taking it to Florida at the end of March. And I've had a passport for more than 50 years now....Fun to read about your grandson. And I'm curious about why Laura needs one. Did I miss something?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Impressive grandson you must be very proud.

    ReplyDelete