Thursday, February 11, 2016

Winter found us

I decided to prevail on the architects on the top floor for a picture of the hummer's nest.
Of course, it did not occur to me until it began snowing.
They're nice guys; they'll let me follow the nest until we cannot see it through the leaves.



I used the back left window in their conference room.
These were school rooms in the twenties.



This must be the bits and pieces room.
I could not resist a picture.



I read the elevator sign for the first time.
I hope the rescuers know where the key is hidden.



My office.



It was the sheriff's office, before mine.
 A very large eye bolt was sunk into the concrete block,
to fasten a prisoner by the other handcuff. 



My outstretched reach from the bolt to the door is just inches short,
so I imagine a taller person could reach the cover plate and handle  to try to break out of the locked room.
Having engaged a locksmith recently to change the keypad,
I know that prying off the cover plate would not set you free.



Back on my street, a gang of juvenile starlings waged war under the oak tree.
They cannot use any of these feeders except the suet, but were fighting in the air for the chance to land on a feeder and find thenselves locked out.



I went in for my camera.
And they were gone, except for the usual suspects.


23 comments:

  1. Ah Winter, you can run but you can't hide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That snow on top of the hummer's nest is a bit sad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of the hummers nest with snow on top! That is what happens to our homes in the winter. And I'm sure they are gone for now. To a warmer climate. Looks like some nice furniture hiding in that room you found. I love the stories you tell!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Brrrr.... we're getting a late burst of winter too. Snowdrops soon... the flowery kind. I hope. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brr! Interesting office. I once had an office in a former bathroom and the toilets were all still there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The conference room is lovely. It will be fun to follow the nest to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hard to beat those old school house windows. I used to teach in a big high school built in 1917 and it had the most wonderful tall windows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your office. I only once had my own room and it made me feel good. Mine had no windows because it was built within a warehouse, however, it was my space, all mine.

    I wish winter would get lost again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Surely that's not an active nest? Do they return to old nests? Of course, I know nothing about the nesting habits of hummingbirds. That's a very nice conference room with all the windows. Conversely, I would not like to work in your windowless space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't deal with no windows, either. My desk faces the office door window, which is directly across the hall from the window on the door outside. So, I have a wide expanse looking in on me, or out, fortunately. I see everyone who comes into the building.

      Delete
  10. I loved this look at another part of your world. And yes, windows are an essential. I am glad to read your reply to ellen abbot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, for sure Winter has found you with the swirling snow. I do like the office space in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such pretty birds that grace your feeders :) I think your office looks very roomy and carries with it a bunch of history with who it used to belong to with the sheriff :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are lovely big rooms by the look of them. The conference room could almost be a lounge/dining room in a proper home.
    I always like seeing the birds on your feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Hummer's nest capped with snow looks like an iced cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Starlings gotta eat, too! All critters got feelings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They use the suet feeder, and go across the yard in a line, like a search party, cleaning up the fallen seed.

      Delete
    2. It's okay, the starlings eat at Mary's house. She doesn't know what kind of birds they are. They eat...

      Delete
  16. We still have a clock repairer in our village Joanne, in answer to your question.
    His shed is a delight to go into as it has about twenty different pendulum clocks ticking away on the walls. I have recently had our sitting room clock repaired there and he is shortly to clean our ancient striking pendulum clock too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh so beautiful. =) Winter has found us as well; the cold temperatures are here, the snow begins on Sunday.

    I enjoyed the glimpse into another aspect of your world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joanne my dear, I responded to your comment about the teeny tupperware bowl. Better go have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love winter pictures... as long as they were taken by someone else. We might have your hummingbird down here... if I see him I'll tell him you said "hello" and are keeping his nest ready.

    ReplyDelete