Sunday, July 5, 2015

Two old weavers meet the new generation, going to the fair (With apologies to Mother Goose and Simple Simon)


Life has been in the way the last month, and I never reported on the debut of my square at the P Flea, the first weekend of June. It was a good day with satisfactory sales for an inaugural event. Taking every advantage we could, Linda and I and two strong young women unloaded the entire booth—set up and contents—into my office the night before.


Unloading the night before the June Flea
Linda left her van far, far away the morning of the Flea, and I, anxious nothing go wrong, had us on the site at 7 am. Of course Emily and Laura had us set up by 8 am, and we toured the other vendors and generally twiddled our thumbs until 10 am opening.







Linda sold some stuff, I sold some stuff. Linda decided she wanted to return for the Flea yesterday, first Saturday in July. I told her it would be an even better day than the previous month, for the reason the world renown Boston Mills ArtFest was on, too.

In Linda's "real booth" all the area behind me is shelves of rugs!
She’s been in the business long enough to be skeptical of that remark, but as the road super explained when he stopped by for a look, “there is only one way to get to Boston Mills and it is right through town. The traffic creeps along, turns the corner, sees the tents, smells the brats and hamburgers and pulls right into our drive.” It took him five traffic light changes to get past the one light.

Linda did her usual business, including one gentleman who came back to be sure Linda could also do special orders for “the kids’ apartments in the city.” I took nothing this time; the previous Flea convinced me I no longer have the stamina to put in a day on the sales floor, while never lifting a finger to set up or tear down.

Before the first Flea, wanting to understand modern credit devices, I called an old friend who manages a gallery that holds quarterly events. Pop-up’s, these youngsters call them. She really wanted my “stuff” for a gallery she is opening in the old Wood Store, which I have mentioned from time to time. It currently is under renovation. She hoped for an opening this past weekend, but the work is proceeding slowly. Grrr….

The opening will be end of this month. I am sorry she could not dovetail with Boston Mills; I know from twenty five years ago what a lucrative weekend it is. However, I am pleased to be part of her new effort. I have sold at various galleries in the Wood Store since 1990; it is a good location and a good venue, and my sole obligation is to take things in, ready to sell. What more could a weaver ask for.




I signed us up for one more Flea this year, the first Saturday in September. I know from experience that is a good weekend in town, too. Emily and Laura will set Linda up and tear her down, I’ll keep her company, and tell customers they need to take a peek at the new River Light Gallery in the old Wood Store.



25 comments:

  1. Sending good luck on your new venue. It sounds much more manageable. I've often thought that it would be exhausting to stand around all day interacting with the public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the glimpses of that Flea. I could spend hours wandering.
    Good luck to you and to Linda in all your future endeavours. And hooray for strong young backs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lot of work, good that you have some young hands to help out. Hope the new venture goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that Emily and Laura are great helpers to set up the fair for Linda! I think your new association with River Light Gallery will be a good one!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. more hands make short work, I am glad I have Gary to help me, I couldn't do it myself; love the booth shelves, the tall ones with the woven rugs and the windows of that building, the lower ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    No easy lark, the selling game... the new setup sounds more like the go - tho' those Sept/Oct markets often yield due to folk starting to think Christmas... all the best for it!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your products. I have a dress made from your kind hands that I wear to chemo every. single. time. I have napped in it mostly and it is divinely soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it's doing its job and you make my heart sing.

      Delete
  8. I would think that September would be a good weekend for sales. People are beginning to think about Christmas. Love the pics! Craft/home/flea markets are such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It can be fun to do the flea market thing but it does quickly become a job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is worth it as Frost says, "way leads on to way".

    ReplyDelete
  11. The July 4th flea worked for me and Joanne was there to man the spac while I was off wandering or smoking.UGH. Don't start if you don't. The day did work for me with help from the young girls. Could not do it without their help. Joanne and i had a nice chance to chat. Pleased to be back into my "honesty is the best policy" attitude and trusting people.(after an incident of taking a bad check). Need to trust customers as they trust me. Will be back in September. Dressed in red, white and blue but did not have a flag to display. Felt bad about that but booth neighbor did have one and I felt better. hope that all enjoyed a happy 4th. Hme in time to sit on my second story porch with friends and watch and ooh and ahh all fireworks in my town .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Echoing the others in the Sept. being a prelude to Christmas, so sales should be good. I hope the new venture in the wood Store works out well too. Nothing easier than just taking along things to sell and counting the takings later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had some strong hands to help... such a lot of work... but, what fun it must be! I always like watching the people who are browsing through... you can always tell the craftsmen (women) because they always touch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All sounds like jolly hard work to me Joanne. Those girls must have been a tremendous help - but then they get plenty of help from you too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having a home grown crew to help in the set-up makes it easier, but I know that days like that are not easy. I am sure you will do well this fall in the old Wood Store.

    ReplyDelete
  16. having youthful helpers does make it easier. glad you sold some stuff. I need to find a new venue but I guess I ought to get some stuff made first.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds adventurous, and your customers will appreciate your weaving. Stay out of the sun, keep hydrated, and sit down when you can. Save your back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to see the girls helping you x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like fun - and a ton of work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What fun that would be to shop at! I don't think I have the stamina to set up and tear down a booth either!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fun photos and your table displays look lovely. I'd stop at them. Sounds like you enjoy this so that is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It sounds like you were very organized and your displays looked wonderful. I'm sure that your next event will be a big success!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete