You might also like

Monday, March 24, 2014

What not to wear


One upon a time I caught Stacy and Clint reruns on the A&E channel every afternoon. Stacy gave me fashion permission: good, well pressed jeans, a nice jacket, you can go anywhere. She’s never let me down.

My grandchildren came here literally in cast off clothing. Laura has a good sense of style, and I imagine she will make anything look very nice when she grows older. Emily cleans up well, but probably will always be partial to jeans and shirts. Hamilton just tries.

Hamilton arrived a weekend before starting school, and my sister spent two days at the mall, outfitting him. His winter coat was a thin spring jacket. ‘Nuff said, it was handled. 

He hasn’t grown any taller in the last eighteen months, but he has dispensed with the massive spare tire he sported when he came. First he got new belts, then new jeans.

He came with a suit. I believe it belonged to his grandfather. Hamilton loves this suit.



Spring break is this week. Hamilton’s birthday is next month. He graduates high school in May and expects to be serving his church within minutes of that event; he’s at the top of the mission list.

Although I do not have the same confidence in a departure date, it is time to do something about the damn suit. I enlisted his little sister of impeccable taste to come with us to get Hamilton’s glasses straightened.


That done I had them looking for a street address further downtown. There it was in a short string of small shops. Well done, Grandma. We were in the middle of the showroom before the penny dropped. 


Thanks, Gramma. This is cool.


The jacket.


He didn't know a suit could look like this.
Note ruffly jeans.


That's a 32" waist. How long does that last?


The shirt is marked next.


What is it with boys and buttons?


Ties and belt.


Supper to make, back in real life.


26 comments:

  1. Stylin'.

    He's quite the trooper for letting you capture the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect to see the total package.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good. And I loved the ever present book beside the toaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Laura's little handwritten book of Aunt Jan's recipes. She watches and writes. I think Ham would just wing it.

      Delete
  4. You are such a good grandmother! I hope he gets a mission where he will be happy and productive and learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a handsome man he is and he looks great in his new duds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A handsome young man with the world at his feet...and two sisters and a grandma to dress him...he'll go far!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. From what you've said, I believe he's come a long way.... and you all must be proud. I know I am just reading your posts... of all of them. How neat that he let you "document" the shopping trip. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing difference since the first of the school year - a fine-looking young man, with two fine-looking sisters (seeing as we've had pictures of Emily recently as well). Your heart must be paining a little in anticipation of the hole in your life when he goes. You've given him more than cooking and clothes-purchasing skills ... I do believe he has absorbed more, perhaps in spite of himself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen that show. In fact, I have a grudge against it. The last time I went to a family wedding, one of my sisters said, If the people from What Not To Wear Were Here, they'd put you in a room and take those clothes away from you. Shucks, thanks. I couldn't afford a new outfit so I borrowed a skirt and blouse from The Hurricane. I guess it's not really the show's fault. When my sister insults my hair and my clothes, which she always does, I say, You're just jealous because my butt is smaller than yours. The suit looks good.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so neat to see young people like Hamilton interested in wearing suits! He will look dashing in his new clothes!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is a handsome man. What an exciting time for him; new suit, new missions, new possibilities. You are a wonderful grandma too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely young man. It's been a joy to see your grandchildren blossom x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hari OM
    Now for the portrait shot... But eat first. &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. He's going to be the best dressed lad in the mission field.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Young people in suits look really dashing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ham looks quite good in his suit. When my son was about 20 I took him out and got him fitted in a new suit, two shirts, belt, ties, socks...the works. These are the last clothes I'm buying for you, I told him. And he's bought his own since.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah yes, I remember having a 32" waist. I almost spelled that "waste". Hm, wonder what that means?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Unless you are an attorney, people rarely wear suits in Hawaii. Hamilton is a handsome lad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My boy loves suits too. You are a wonderful Grandma. What church out of curiosity? LDS?

    ReplyDelete
  20. They grow up fast, don't they? Seems my 16 year old granddaughter was 4 just the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joanne you are a wonderful grandmother-- good job-- the suit and the young man very handsome :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the way Laura is looking after her big brother. You've brought out the best in your lovely grandchildren. You must be so proud of them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, what a HANDSOME young man!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope they left a hem-he will grow more. You are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a handsome young man! I can read your pride in these words.

    ReplyDelete